Change Mode

Today is 9/11

DK64_MASTER

It was a routine day, I was supposed to get up on time, and go to my Sophomore 7:35am art class, first period. I remember turning on the TV, and watching the horror unfold. It almost made me sick to my stomach, and I was weak in the knees. I managed to get to school, and couldn’t bring my mind on to look at my art. Nobody else did either. Our teacher, turned on the radio, and we were extremely curious/frightened/shaken by the reports. We didn’t know the extent of the damage, and when we heard that the 3rd plane had crashed (Pennsylvania), we realized that we, ourselves, might not be safe, all the way in Sunny California.

Lunch was very strange. People were excited (not in a good way), and talking about that we been attacked, and it almost seemed like a fire-drill. It was at that moment, I realized that this wasn’t a fake, it was real, and the whole world would be affected by this for a long time. I told this to my friend, and it had dawned on him too, we just sat there musing at our lunches, trying to think of other things, but we just couldn’t

I remember walking home, which was unusual, since my mom usually picked me up. I was actually afraid, since I was walking home by myself, which was a rarity until mid junior year. I remember reflecting, on how this seemingly normal day held so much significance.

So this post is in remembrance to all those that passed away: the firefighters, the brave people on the Pennsylvania flight, countless citizens trapped in the WTC, countless citizens close to the blast radius, the whole pentagon mess, the family of those affected, and to the people who felt lost, not just for a few moments, not just a day, but a significant amount of time.

It’s almost ironic that I remember parts of this day so clearly, and I’m sure a lot of you do too. This day will always be a solemn one in my heart, even though I wasn’t affected by it in terms of family. It was the first major tragedy that I had experienced, and as a spectator, I was left in shock at how the country functioned in the next few days. The TV broadcasts, the news flashes, and the racism that followed (that I was a big part of).

Luckily we came together as a nation, and we have become stronger, and more united, which is what the terrorists were hoping not to achieve. So let’s remain strong, and keep our heads up high, and remember, nay celebrate those that have lost their lives, in order for us to see this day! :salute:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like DK64 it seemed like a regular morning; I woke up and had a shower, and during breakfast I flipped on the television and saw the news but it didn't sink right away. I walked to school, had Social Studies first, and everyone was talking about an attack and then it hit me what exacally happend. As the day continued there was nothing normal about it, the rest of the classes were pretty much cancelled and students poured into the library to watch the coverage. I remember watching and thinking that the world was going to end. There was a feeling of panic that swept over here despite being thousands of kilometers away.

My dad was on a trip to either Calgary or Vancouver (I can't recall) and all air travel over North America was halted so my dad had to rent a car and drive home. It was a day like none other, just such a horrible day and it was quite overwhelming.

It was a normal morning. I wnet to work as a Senior Support Engineer for Compaq Corporation. My regular duties were interrupted when I was told to come in and look at the TV. After the collision with the Twin towers, our cakk volume began to spike with people calling not only with computer issues, but also there were those who called because they couldn't think of anyone else to call. I jumped on the phones to assist the beleagured techs and the one call that stands out in my mind was a woman in New York calling about her PC....I could hear the sirens in the background and I advised her that maybe it would be a good time to limit her phone calls to those that were absolutely essential during this emergency. She agreed and said she would call when it was all over. I don't know if she ever called back.

I was sleeping in my dorm room on Chancellor Hall UWI instead of attending a lecture on Genetics. I was awoken my some crazy person banging on my door screaming that the USA is under attack (yeah they woke up the whole dorm) and we all then went to the TV room to watch the breaking news. I remember it clearly because I was peed off at being awaken. :(

Edited by Intratech

I remember going to school as normal, but on the way back, near my house - I heard it on the Radio that USA was under attack..

I asked my mum what it was all about and she explained..

Then, i spent all day after 4pm glued to the TV and just felt empty, even though i had never heard of the WTC's before hand..

:(

Worked for a landscape company. The truck I was in had no radio, and my helper and I saw basically no one all day. Realized something was up when we started seeing all the super huge lines at the gas pumps, but never knew what had happened until we got back to our shop. I said something to our boss about the long lines at the gas stations and he said "Yeah, no wonder", I asked "no wonder what?" Thats when we found out that we (USA) had been attacked. Total shock and anger. :blink::angry:

I was sitting at work, not knowing anything, then someone walked in from outside and said a plane has hit one of the Twin Towers in NY.

We kinda looked at each other then turned on the radio.

Then within few minutes another plane had hit.

We sank into our chairs and thought how could this happen.

Next remarks were that a plane had hit the Pentagon........then we knew.

And another message came over the radio that another plane was missing and very shortly after that an announcement was made, it had crashed into a field.

From that moment not realizing history....was making a mark into a new kind of book.

I can remember feeling scared and wondering what was next to hit us.

I work directly across the river from the twin towers. I was near the window when the first plane hit. We all started looking out the window and we saw the second plane hit. We all evacuated our building. I couldnt get home because nothing was running. trains were stopped, highways were closed. The people who were in Manhattan was moved by ferry over to Jersey where I was. I was in front of my building when both buildings fell. After that. I hung out in a nearby hotel lobby where I watched what was going on, on the TV. Many people who came from manhattan covered in ash came to the hotel. They were given rooms to shower and rest if they needed it. I helped many people contact loved ones (my cell phone worked most of the time) and I paid for their food if they were hungry. I especially remember several college students coming in scared and lost. They hung out in the hotel and they called their parents. I got them some food cause they had no money.

I could not get home until about 10:00pm.

I was getting ready to leave for work. I picked up the remote to turn off the TV when the very first report came. It was either 10 minutes till 9:00 or 10 minutes after. I stopped and sat on the table directly in front of the TV. I didn't go to work that day.

Guest Belle908

I was at work when a colleague came in and said a plane had crashed into the WTC and they didn't know if it was a terrorist attack or not. I remember thinking it can't be, that's in New York - I never thought anything like that could happen to the US. Then I heard on the radio that a second plane hit, we had the radio on all day but couldn't get the internet to load.

Went home to see it all over the news and sat and watched those awful scenes where those poor people were jumping out of buildings etc.

I found out I was pregnant two days later and I remember worrying about the kind of world I would be bringing my child into.

We were in the car on our way to Port Stanley to book a Train. We chartered it to do our wedding on. The local news wanted to film the ceremony 3 weeks later as they thought everyone could do with a bit of happy news. We turned them down. It just did'nt feel right.

The first reports had it sounding as if a small single engine had hit the tower but I said to the wife 'it's terrorist's". She laughed at the time...but a few hours later her jaw dropped. We were pretty much oblivious to the first few hours of the attack after we heard the initial report. We were planning our big day and in our own little world. We stopped for lunch at a pub on the beach and everyone was glued to the T.V.

Our own little world crumbled as we watched the towers do the same.

It was a strange few weeks leading up to our wedding day. Was'nt sure if being or showing happiness was PC or not. Lot's of mixed feelings. It won't be a day we will ever forget, and may we never go through it again.

Our thought's are with you today

Neighbour's and friends

Toke

but so many are dwelling on this day...it's time to move on...

I guess we are still trying to deal with it. We are not 'dwelling' on it as much as trying to heal from it. Its only been 4 years. I was basically there... I dont think its time to 'move on'

I also dont see people dwelling on it except for right around this time. People go to graves for years and years after people die. 'moving on' is subjective.

Andromeda, it sounds almost as you are annoyed at the attention its getting. I could be wrong but what is the problem with people 'dwelling' on it.

Please explain what you would do instead of what is happening. Should we not talk about it or just display our emotions in the privacy of our homes?

I am not trying to get on you but I dont understand the sentiment so I am asking you to explain where you are coming from.

Edited by hftmrock

I won't move on. I may move forward, but that day will be with me forever!

I had been up late the night before. ( My three day weekend) I got up to use the .... Anyway, my brother was watching tv. As I came out of the bedroom, he said we are at war. ??? Then I looked at the screen and saw the first tower burning. I stopped and sat. Just in time to see the second plane come into view!

This world changed that day!

My most vivid memory is seeing people jump from those towers. I'll never forget or forgive. DAMN animals.

BTW... My avatar came a few weeks after that, and has only changed for a few days since then. And it will stay the same for years to come!!

Edited by dickster

Sorry hftmrock that you were personally involved and I don't want to seem uncompassionate to those personally affected by 9/11 because I am compassionate to those that were personally affected. My heart goes out to them!!

Hftmrock, you are correct in your observation that I am annoyed at all the attention it gets. I feel that plays right into the hands of the terrorists. They like nothing more than to see how what they did has screwed up our lives so drastically. I am also annoyed by how it has affected my life. I can't even fly on an airplane without being treated like a terrorist. I know I look like a terrorist...with the blonde hair and blue eyes and all :blink: but give me a break!!!!!!!! I recently had to fly and was taken into a chamber and frisked because my Levi's set off the metal detector. Even other passengers were outraged by my treatment!!!!! So yes I am annoyed!!!! Here's a picture of me so you can see how I look like a terrorist:

Posted Image

I appreciate your response and to a small point I understand. But with regards to flying.. what do you suggest? terrorists comes in many shapes and sizes and we need to be consistant across the board.,

Tell me what you would do differently.

(BTW - KD5 is a lucky guy.. :blushing: )

I was at work on that Tues. i was under the hood of a Ford Bronco finishing an oil change, one of our bosses came out of the break room and said a customer called and told him a plane had hit the WTC, well we all thought it was just a small plane, so we went inot the lounge and turned on the tv... well we were wrong, as we sat discussing how in the world a plane could have hit the tower,,, we saw the second plane hit...

it was at that point that we had out answer...

i will never forget that day! it is burned into my memory, i had my family record the news all day on my vcr...

I have been saving pics from all over the internet and videos too, for the past year or so i have been putting together a memorial of these images..