Sign in to follow this  
bobby131313

Optimize made dl speed worse

My download speeds have been averaging 3770. I downloaded the free optimize scan and ran it. It told me there was a whole bunch of things it could fix including 6 values to tweak in the registry for better performance.

So I pay the 30 bucks and run the fix and restart. Now I can't even hit a 3000 dl speed. Ackk.

I created a restore point right before I ran the fix. After I saw the dl speed go down, I restored to the point I had just created and dl speed went right back up to almost 4000.

FYI.. I'm supposed to be getting a 6mb download speed. Comcast is giving me a smokescreen. They tell me I am getting it and NONE of the bw tests on the internet are accurate including PCPitstop.

While I agree that they may not be perfect because of internet variables, I find it very hard to believe they could be off by 2MB. Especially when 4 different ones give me almost identcal results.

Edited by bobby131313

Internet DL speeds are variable from location to location , server to server .

Go here ...

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

and test a few different locations and you'll see what I mean.

Depending on the number and type of connections your ISP has to make to each location has a great deal to do with how fast your down and up speeds are going to be . Time of day also plays a big part in the equation , especially with cable connections.

My 2.5mb DSL connection can range anywhere from 1700 to 2900 kb/s .

Thanks bluescout, but that doesn't really address my point.

I just paid $30 for software that makes it worse. I did everything in my above post in 15 minutes.

I just redid the whole scenario with restore points and the results were exactly the same. Optimize makes it worse.

I'm not happy.

I understand Bobby , I guess I was addressing the second part of your post in relation to speed tests .

The first part of your post will have to be answered by the owners of PCPitstop of course :)

Yeah, there's something else you need to take into consideration, that your Internet Connection has to transmit some "overhead data" in relation to the data it's sending/receiving.

Bobby, I have Comcast as well and have seen the recent ads that say 6 megabits. My speed has been the same as yours, about 3800-3900 kilobits, for at least the past year or so--before that it was around 3000 kilobits. I think they may not have done the speed upgrade through all neighborhoods.

As far as Optimize goes, can you give this a try? Run this Autofix and see if it makes things better--try both settings that it offers. (Remember, you have to reboot any time you change Internet settings).

Autofix

Let me know which setting works the best.

Well, neither one did it.

One made it worse and the other was the same as my old setting (32120 KB) and produces the same results as before I purchased Optimize.

I even tried resetting to the windows defaults and then running Optimize and it still made it over 1000k worse.

Can I get my money back for Optimize since it does the opposite of what it promises?