Sign in to follow this  
TeMerc

MVPS Hosts File Updates

Posted ImageUpdate: June 30 2006

Download: hosts.zip (113 kb)

How To: Download and Extract the HOSTS file

HOSTS File - Frequently Asked Questions

Note: the "text" version also makes a great resource for determining culprit URLs

Hosts Files Explained | Hosts File Tutorial | MVPS Hosts File

We recommend using Hoster to manage your hosts file.

Hoster Home Page

Update: Dec. 15, 2006

Download:hosts.zip (123 kb)

Frequently Asked Questions

Note: The "text version" also makes a great resource for determining culprit URLs.

Note: If you use IE-SPYAD, Spybot Search & Destroy, SpywareGuide Blocklist, SpywareBlaster, a hosts file or any combination of those, please check all protections and re-enable as needed whenever any of the aforementioned is updated. More here

Update: Dec. 29, 2006

Download:hosts.zip (125 kb)

Note: The "text version" also makes a great resource for determining culprit URLs.

Note: If you use IE-SPYAD, Spybot Search & Destroy, SpywareGuide Blocklist, SpywareBlaster, a hosts file or any combination of those, please check all protections and re-enable as needed whenever any of the aforementioned is updated. More here

Update: Jan 16

Download:hosts.zip (129 kb)

Edited by TeMerc

O.K....

downloaded and installed the MVSP hosts file. Now I would like to back off on a few features, if possible. I am, for example, a bit disconcerted at the loss of images on webpages, my browser home page among others. I suppose I can live with the red-x placeholders, but it makes a dreary looking page (I tried the suggested fix in the FAQ with no luck, oh, well...). I have more of an issue with with looping when an ad attempts to load (for instance, the header ads on this site); I get a continual cursor/hour glass until I hit the "stop" button. This works, but it hardly improves my efficiency.

There is info in the FAQ about editing hosts files, but I cant find anything about searching. How can I locate and except file entries?

It's not enough of a problem to dump the hosts file (which might be a job; looks pretty well embedded in my system), but I would like a bit more control over things.

As always, I will appreciate any assistance.

Update: Jan 31 2007

Download:hosts.zip (133kb)

Update: Feb. 16, 2007

Download:hosts.zip (134kb)

Update: Mar. 3, 2007

Update: Mar. 19, 2007

Update: April 8, 2007

Download:hosts.zip (133kb)

Update: April 30, 2007

Download:hosts.zip (135kb)

Update: May 21, 2007

Download:hosts.zip (135kb)

Update: June 14, 2007

Download:hosts.zip (140kb)