Change Mode

Question about Intel Pentium 4 CPU's

Ever since they changed their processor names to abide by their current cryptic, seemingly random number and character placement, system, I have had even less success trying to figure out just what sets each of their processors apart.

Do all the prescotts have 2MB cache and no HyperThreading? Or are there both of each?

And what about their fastest processor? I believe it's the 3.6GHz P4 Extreme Edition right? Does that processor have HyperThreading on both cores? And if it does, does it theoretically, well, at least according to Intel, handle double the work load as a normal dual-core processor, and quadruple a single core one?

Thanks!

Edited by TorreyIsLDS

5xx series are 1mb prescotts and have hyperthreading

6xx series are 2mb prescotts and have hyperthreading

8xx are dual cores with 1mb cache each core with no hyperthreading except for the 840ee which is 2 x 3.2 with hyperthreading

the xx1 at the end says it is 64 bit ready

They really arent that bad to figure out and it says what ghz they run at right on the boxes. The fastest single chip right now is a 3.8ghz or the 3.73ee which has a 1066fsb instead of 800 like ALL of their other chips.

Confused yet?

Gryph

5xx series are 1mb prescotts and have hyperthreading

6xx series are 2mb prescotts and have hyperthreading

8xx are dual cores with 1mb cache each core with no hyperthreading except for the 840ee which is 2 x 3.2 with hyperthreading

the xx1 at the end says it is 64 bit ready

They really arent that bad to figure out and it says what ghz they run at right on the boxes. The fastest single chip right now is a 3.8ghz or the 3.73ee which has a 1066fsb instead of 800 like ALL of their other chips.

Confused yet?

Gryph

Thanks for clearing that up for us (me), Gryph. Seems like you really did your homework on this one!

Now that you explained the system, I feel kind of dumb. :blushing: