Sign in to follow this  
Zowie

Block Checker

Just a heads up for those of us that have kids addicted to their Instant Messaging programs. (And hopefully saving the Trusted HiJackthis Advisors from a flood of users trying to remove this garbage.)

Tonight my daughter started recieving messages from friends with the following-

I know who's blocking me on AIM because I use *sitelink*"

"Did they block you too? Download a free AIM Block Checker *sitelink*"

"Hey you can see who's blocking you on AIM! Download it now *sitelink*"

Appearently this program spams the users on your buddy list whenever you log on and continues to do so even after it has been uninstalled through add and remove. Not to mention the adaware it attempts to install.

McAfee discription-

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_135579.htm

:blank: Meep. Thanks for posting this, I'll be sure to tell my friends. (My friends are typical high schoolers: AIM is a way of life)

Add to that sentence "and are unaware/ignorant of malware" and I'll agree. :P

with regards

This morning, Papaerghost posted this about BlockChecker:

Block-Checker: Causing headaches in IM land...

You may or may not have seen Block-Checker, but it supposedly tells you who has you on their block list for IM tools such as MSN Messenger, AIM etc. I can't comment how effective this is, but I can tell you that it has a rather annoying feature...every so often, it pumps out the below to your chosen chat-buddy:

Hey you can see who's blocking you on AIM! Download it now >URL REMOVED<

Read more of his comments on it here and here

Edited by TeMerc

I can't believe someone would stoop to that level. It's almost like putting the candy in front of the cash register. That one would have been an easy one to fall for.

That's amazing.

I used to be a sucker for something like that, but when I started getting interested in computers and realizing that this stuff can potentially damage a computer, I stayed away.

Thanks TeMerc-

Going to check out your links now. Its spreading rapidly as a number of her friends logging in today are now also sending the messages.

Absolutely correct faith_michele....my daughters first response was that sounds

cool. Luckily she asks before the clicks.

Edited to add-Especially after she was hit with the Aurora,Nail.exe after her friends told her about this great Icon site.

Edited by Zowie

There is a fix available for this infection, btw, just post a log in the HJT forums here, I'm sure one of the analysts will get you hooked up.

TeMerc-

Yes I was aware there was a tool. Will running the tool at least stop the spamming of your buddies until further cleanup?...Unfortunately I cant send all these middle schoolers to a forum for help. (Most of them dont know what one is)

Im waiting to see a few logs to see what a clean up involves and hopefully be able to give these kids some advice.

(Other than if it says its free it probably isnt) :mrsgreen:

The fix I was refering to was actually a reg fix, created by one of the malware experts.

The tool your thinking of is perhaps:

Block Remove

I'm guessing the tool would be easier to run for the kids.

Good luck.

I found that yesterday too, but that appears that its from the maker itself. Not sure Id trust that :mrsgreen:

I was thinking more of reg fix but will wait to learn more.

I found that yesterday too, but that appears that its from the maker itself. Not sure Id trust that :mrsgreen:

I was thinking more of reg fix but will wait to learn more.

No, the tool I linked to above is NOT FROM the maker of the 'Block-Checker' add on at all.

The guy linked to above is a well respected program writer, that app can be trusted 100%.

:blushing:

TeMerc-

Sorry I read too quickly and missed his tool and only noticed the bottom one from "their" website.

Thank-you so much!!!

Unless your a complete idiot, you can usually tell what messages are from your friends, and what messages are from their adware. :)

Unless your a complete idiot, you can usually tell what messages are from your friends, and what messages are from their adware. :)

:P

Like to say this nicely, Mate!

Guess Idiot is not a Word to use here?

We each and everyone of us CARE!

Wormfarmer contacted me, because my Computer had sent that Message to him, he was aware that my Kids use this Computer. Funny enough I downloaded the Program to a Secure Area, for checking later! When I checked it out, after Wormfarmer mentioned it, with Adaware, it was detected in Cookies, on C:\ but all of them were Low, Danger, and Adaware got rid of them. There was nothing in the Program, itself, so it seems that any Malware is in the clicking on the Site, but not much different to clicking on the Pit Site! I will hand over the Program to others to make sure, but really feel that it is quite Harmless if you have Adaware and SpyBot S&D fitted to your Machine, and use them Regularly! Clean Up will get rid of the Rest!

It seemed to be as a result of my Kids upgrading to the Latest Version of Msn Messenger, so I guess it is Built into the Latest Versions of whatever Messenger you use?

I will experiment further and let you all know!

:wub:

Edited by Drovers Dog

Zowie.....jayloden.com :tup: as TeMerc said.

LEGAL STUFF: I am not affiliated with the makers of this virus in any way, nor am I affiliated with any anti-virus company. I merely provide this as a service for those who have been infected. I take no responsibility for any damage done by the virus or by those incorrectly following these removal steps, or those using my removal tools.

Like to say this nicely, Mate!

Guess Idiot is not a Word to use here?

Latest Version of Msn Messenger, so I guess it is Built into the Latest Versions of whatever Messenger you use?

I will experiment further and let you all know!

:wub:

I agree, there is no reason to assume that everyone that does not have the knowledge that may seem common to you, as an idiot. Poor selection of words at the very least, rather than call names, provide info to educate.

In so far as this app coming with anything from MSN, that is completely wrong.

The app is just a massive peice of crap, from top to bottom. Be sure and read the link above, written by Paperghost, he gives alot more detail on it.

It just needs to be kept away from, and you need to tell all the kids about it and in general, about DLing an app they find on the net.

I can't tell you how many addons there are for MSN Messenger, that are plain trojans, just waiting for an unsuspecting user to come along.

Always keep an eye on Jay Loden's website, as he has done some pretty impressive things where IM is concerned and has created some great fixes. AIMFix is a nifty little tool.

Always keep an eye on Jay Loden's website, as he has done some pretty impressive things where IM is concerned and has created some great fixes. AIMFix is a nifty little tool.

:wp: paperghost! :DB):thud:

Glad to have ya onboard. :)

with regards

Edited by Champion_Munch

Alright....anyone here know how to remove the thing? Which programs will help?I've started helping my mates sort through this, but it's hard when everyone has it. :bang::angry:

One of my mates tells me:

i went to the :filtered: link cause of ****/**** dl it the i went run it did the loading bar as soon as it finished (when it normally goes into set-up) it closed and my virus thingo came up and said virus detected (move failed; clean failed) and i don't think i will delete

but, only showing up as a temp internet file

What should I recommend to him? Is it likely he still has it? I've told him to clear his cache and run a few online virus scans so far.

with regards

Ok, if it helps?

My 14 year old Daughter, Deza, helped out!

I looked for Block Checker! In Search on XP! Located all the Files for it, started to Delete them one by one! Some could not be deleted, Deza went into Programs Running, stopped them running, they got Deleted!

Seems Clear now!

BTW it is reckonised as Trojan Horse Generic AMI.

:beer:

Edited by Drovers Dog

Ok, if it helps?

My 14 year old Daughter, Deza, helped out!

I looked for Block Checker! In Search on XP! Located all the Files for it, started to Delete them one by one! Some could not be deleted, Deza went into Programs Running, stopped them running, they got Deleted!

Seems Clear now!

:beer:

That's probably not a good idea, DD...

with regards