Sign in to follow this  
Joe C

General Discussion Closed?

I've never seen Site Feedback have so much attention....12 users here at the moment. Normally you'd be lucky to get that many visitors in a day. :lol:

EDIT: 16 :woot:

with regards

Edited by Champion_Munch

If Dave and Chengrob don't think i'm doing my job properly, i'll happily step down and get back to helping out folks without the distractions that come with the position.

Being a moderator isn't a pre-requisite for me to be here either. I try to do the best I know how, but nobody's perfect. If and when GD ever reopens, I hope we can be civil to one another, keep the Pitstop Conspiracy crap to ourselves, and return to the big happy family that we used to be. I want that more than anything. -kd5-

i dont know if its a good move or not. not my place to judge what they do and if i had such great ideas dave and rob would be banging down my door asking me to be a moderator. they arent.

everyone has a different idea of who the troublemakers are and what constitutes a troublemaker. i love it that we as members are debating who and what and how to allow access to GD, what topics should be allowed or accepted and how many hoops members should have to jump through to be allowed posting privladges. i assume this happens cause we all think we have the cornerstone on rightousness or something. is everybodys back yard that picked up? i dont see that.

ive caused a fair share of trouble and im gonna be big enough to admit that. i note this thread is absent of people accepting responsibilities for their actions. absent of a lot of the "hot topic" regulars and absent of people who like to fly just below the rules. well i think thats pretty pathetic. ive skirted the word filter, ive been insulting, condesending, rude and aggressive. ive attacked and baited and singled people out. ive been hurtful and mean and a bully. and ive had all of those emotions returned to me as well. im not much help with computer problems and while that is what got me here some three years ago, GD played a big part in keeping me here.

i dont really care what anyone thinks about me beyond what the moderators and admins think. im upset and ashamed that i lost my temper to the point i did yesterday and im upset that dave, radio, volt, jazzy, rob, and the rest of the staff are disappointed in my actions. im not going to try to offer up any excuses for why or what or who cause im only responsible for moderating myself and i more than know the posted rules of engagement. so whatever prompted that or whatever personal problems or the week ive had or how sick i am of this and that does not excuse, validate or take away the outburst and why waste thier time trying to smooth it over.

sadly what i see happening is GD opening again and a host of soap boxes being stood on with everyones grievences being spilled over the loud speakers. a bunch of so and so did this to me, but wheres the answer to this and that, and more under the table innuendos and insults. id hope if that does happen its ended incredibly quickly and if i cant follow the rules i hope they ban me too. i hope it is a take no prisoners, zero tolerance, heads are gonna roll until every last one of the site troublemakers are weeded out. it will be a good show of who cares enough to follow the rules and put thier personal issues to rest once and for all.

Edited by Angela

Inprofile I am not criticising you individually, however I am criticising the Administration for what was a total knee jerk reaction.

However having said that, I have to ask who was best in a position to prevent the present situation?

Certainlt not the members.

And concerning reporting anyone, whether they be mods or members, well I don't do reporting.

If I have a problem I'll come out with it in print. I don't hide behind PMs.

Edited by Andrew S.

Hi Ax, nice to see you! :)

Sadly don't get here very often nowadays and post even less.

GD has always been a great place to visit. It has also suffered from some bad tempers and heated arguments. It is difficult for the Mods to be everywhere and read all the posts. Perhaps if the regular users were to report certain posts to the Mods and let the Mods handle things, rather than responding to those posts in the open forum, things wouldn't get out of hand.

In another forum I visit, posts that are considered rude/insulting/flaming are simply deleted on sight by the Mods. It may be more draconian, but it certainly keeps things civil!

With a general discussion, it's alot harder to moderate.

With help forums, if people give information that could harmfully affect a computer, they delete it.

General discussion is alot harder because it brings in personal emotions, not just knowledge. Each moderator has to decide whether a post would be deemed inappropriate or not. They most likely however try to do so ignoring their own thoughts on the subject, which is hard.

An example: JoePCPitstopGuy makes a post about how much he hates Bush and thinks he should be kicked out of office. JohnPCPitstopMod is a Republican who likes Bush. He has to decide whether the post is in bad taste, or whether it's just him disagreeing with it. It's a very fine line to be walking.

Also, MOST (not all) topics on General Discussion start out as good clean discussions about Politics/Movies/The World. However there is always one person that takes something the wrong way and starts a flame war.

I'm not for taking away the General Discussion, it's nice talking to the people here away from PC troubleshooting. But you have to look at it from the Mod's point of view. It's very hard moderating a General Discussion because there is alot that can go wrong.

So does anyone know how long will we be without the GD section?

Days? Weeks? Months? or worse NEVER?

Not trying to start any more crap, but it would be a lot easier on the mods/admins if they would weed out the troublemakers, which I think (hope) is about to happen. I think almost all old time pitsters know who the bad apples are, and I'm sure the mods/admins do also.

So, lets let them work out how we go from here. And hope we can get back to the old, friendly pit I've come to call home.

sadly what i see happening is GD opening again and a host of soap boxes being stood on with everyones grievences being spilled over the loud speakers. a bunch of so and so did this to me, but wheres the answer to this and that, and more under the table innuendos and insults.

It's been said numerous times that the Pit ain't a democracy. The way I feel about it right now is that if I see any of the old back-biting "grievance" threads pop up, they're gone. Simple as that. I just don't think we need that kind of crap in GD. Period.

'Course whether or not I get my wish remains to be seen. -kd5-

gee i think everyone likes the GD forum.... :P

relax everyone, its gonna be back. the admin/mod staff have taken our toy away from us cause we werent playing nicely.

for now sit back and relax

:beer:

gee i think everyone likes the GD forum.... :P

relax everyone, its gonna be back. the admin/mod staff have taken our toy away from us cause we werent playing nicely.

for now sit back and relax

:beer:

:unsure:

Don't know what to do with myself, while I got no work to do at work...

lol, im the same way

Now, the reason I like GD is because its our own little UN. It shows all of us around the world what our world leaders go through discussing these issues that are so much larger than any individual and any one country.

That aspect is so rare today its sad, the internet is supposed to connect the world but it rarely does. The pit used computers to connect a large portion of this world, succeeding where so many other things have failed.

No surprise. I've been expecting this for awhile. Still, it's always a shock to see free-speech taking a beating close-up. No matter. We've had a good run and the phoenix will rise again.

Sincere thanks to Dave and Rob for tolerating our unruliness long past what anyone could reasonably expect, even though I think you're showing weak judgement by killing one of the last great frontier comedies on the net. And if you try to turn it into a reality show I'll hound you to your grave for our collective intellectual property rights. :woot:

My address is [email protected] and I'd be happy to start an independant mailing list of lost souls left stranded by the demise of our cherished GD. Call me.

Cheers all,

I

Iain....remember spambots? Are you sure you want to post your addy?

Hey can I edit a few of my post in GD before you guys review them? :erm:

Iain expect loads of spam at that e-mail address mate.. not from me btw.

Hey can I edit a few of my post in GD before you guys review them? :erm:

Too late. It's been pretty well cleaned up by now. I must admit, it does look better.

My first thought when I saw that GD had been shut down, was that the owners were going for a, purely pc technical site. My second thought, was that the post counts would drop dramatically with no GD. Having come back a day later and re-read this thread...my 3rd thought is that my 2nd thought was wrong.

Too late. It's been pretty well cleaned up by now. I must admit, it does look better.

I was having a laugh I_G! :P:lol:

Just thought some people felt like that so I posted for them. :mrgreen:

I was having a laugh I_G!  :P  :lol:

Just thought some people felt like that so I posted for them. :mrgreen:

Oops, I forgot any smilies! :blushing:

Well, I was pretty sure you weren't serious... :P

I just realized that Moon is gonna flip out when he comes back from holidays :D

Did anyone PM him just to notify him?

We are all responsible for own behavior and if we'de police ourselves the mods jobs would be alot easier and the GD would be open right now. Reasoned/polite discussion is the way to go. The world is not fair nor is life fair if some folks treat their friends, family or co-workers the way they treated fellow pit members I feel very sorry for them. The world and life have rules if they are violated there are costs connected with them.

Total Cumulative Posts 3,096

( 0.39% of total forum posts )

Posts per day 3.3

Joined 1/27/03

Most active in Custom PCs, case mods, overclocking

682 posts in this forum

( 41% of this member's active posts )

User's local time August 15th, 2005, 12:19 PM

I stay there where i dont get into troubles :wub:

well, even though i've spent most of my time in GD, it has gone down hill in the last couple years! so much so that i'm kind of glad GD and all the political BS that came with it, is now gone!

We are all responsible for own behavior and if we'de police ourselves the mods jobs would be alot easier and the GD would be open right now. Reasoned/polite discussion is the way to go. The world is not fair nor is life fair if some folks treat their friends, family or co-workers the way they treated fellow pit members I feel very sorry for them. The world and life have rules if they are violated there are costs connected with them.

Mouse your still the best mod here. :)