Sign in to follow this  
Joe C

General Discussion Closed?

jacee helped me remove the worm of distruction today

its a heck of a place to get pc help and chat on the side lines.

i hope the trolls go away and it was like it was in 03

But then we'd have Z10N with us!!! ;);):P:lol:

That head in the sand thing shocked me too. :mrsgreen:

i hope the trolls go away

This is my biggest hope. The pit has a lot of very good people here, and it's a shame to see a few ruin it for everyone. I hope my post in GD (before the shutdown) got that point across.

I tip my hat to the mods/admins for closing GD, and discussing amongst themselves how to control it should it reopen. :tup:

Well guys I remember when it (GD) wasn't there at all for awhile, it got messy just like this time and the Admin. pulled it. I salute the Mods and Admin for pulling it this time and for all they do! Not trying to kiss :filtered: here but just telling it the way I see it. When I first came here, this was first and foremost a computer help site. Hell, Volt couldn't hardly figure out his Win98, and me?....well I aint going there! If GD does make a reappearance I hope it gets back to what it was meant to be and that's the "water cooler"; "Hi, wassup today?"....."How's that new baby?"....that sort of thing.

My $.02 :mrgreen:

P.S. Sho' I figured it out! :woot:

When I first came here I just sat and listened to the jungle sounds coming from my HP. Some sort of jungle theme. :P

PC Pitstop was, is and will still be the best computer help website around. Lots of caring people with excellent skills helping people every day.

Caintry I'll meet ya over at the other thread and see how you did it. Congrats.

I always enjoyed the GD, I did post there too much, but I am still most active in U2U :). I hope everyone will chill out and we can see the GD return. We really have a great community here and the GD was a great place for us to talk together. I am looking very much to the return of 'ol GD, and the demise of the flamerz.

Why punish everybody?

were only punishing you :angry:

nah just joking :mrgreen:

everthing is sweet at the moment, take a :chill: chill pill and relax :)

Why punish everybody?

We are cleaning up that forum and will reopen it when we have all our ducks in a row...

Meantime I'm sure there are other sites to yak on..find one. :) vj

Before the lynch mob gets too excited, I'd like to point out that the current trouble was NOT caused by the existence of GD. GD was merely the normal place for discussion about Pitstop Forum affairs to be discussed. Had there not been a GD, this same troublesome discussion would have taken root in one of the other forums.

GD was the venue for the trouble--not the cause.

Before the lynch mob gets too excited, I'd like to point out that the current trouble was NOT caused by the existence of GD. GD was merely the normal place for discussion about Pitstop Forum affairs to be discussed. Had there not been a GD, this same troublesome discussion would have taken root in one of the other forums.

GD was the venue for the trouble--not the cause.

lynch mob?? :lol: sheesh I thought that went out in the 30s??

Its getting cleaned up regardless. :) vj

Use some scrubbing bubbles and amonia when you clean it up, some of them walls were pretty grimey. :P

Some of them??

Understatement there... :mrgreen: vj

lynch mob?? lol.gif sheesh I thought that went out in the 30s??

Hey, so I'm old. :P

Its getting cleaned up regardless. smile.gif vj

Good, it needs it. Just don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

why get upset, this is a good thing, a place where nice people hang out and have fun after helping ones in need, lynch mob went way over my head :huh:

just doing some middle of the month cleaning, thats all :)

edit:baby with the bath water? :unsure:

Edited by duanester

I thought I was going crazy! :woot: I logged in, then I didnt see GD - so I logged in, but wait!: I was logged in! Oh man, it scared me for a sec....

Anyway, its probably for the best, and I've been here long enough to know that the mods and admins here have the forum's best interest at heart and are quite capable. Hey, as long as it comes back... :lol:

It required people not so swayed by public opinion to do the right thing to do that - a nod to the mods and admin B)

EDIT: spelling, of course

Edited by kigoe

im sure there having a tough time figuring out how the layout will be, to all the mods, great job and keep up the good work :rolleyes:

night everyone :nitey:

This is how some of the other forums handle undesirables. Works well for them!

Your account is locked. Please GO AWAY!

AnandTech Moderator

This is how some of the other forums handle undesirables. Works well for them!

Your account is locked. Please GO AWAY!

AnandTech Moderator

ROFL, man, those Anandtech forums are in pretty good shape considering they get almost 10 times the replies in ATOT than we got in GD (at our peak).

But the talk about some crazy stuff on it.

They are kept in pretty good condition though, even though there is a lot of flame wars, nobody really cares.

why not limit access to GD for those that have over a certain number of posts. Kind of like, once you get to 200 you can get into GD. This will assure that everyone is here for the right reasons

why not limit access to GD for those that have over a certain number of posts.  Kind of like, once you get to 200 you can get into GD.  This will assure that everyone is here for the right reasons

I asked about this in on Page 5 (or was it 4).

The thing is, you can't account for how the non-tech savy people are going to get 200 posts (which is a lot, if you think about it).

We don't want mass spamming to go around either.

Maybe a registration day limit (like you have to be a month old before you can post in GD)?

I doubt that will help much, though.

Edit: Unintentionally avoided the word filter, replaced said word with "mass spamming"

Edited by DK64_MASTER

I think this is a good idea....I know there are several members here who spend too much time in GD, and aren't really here for helping/learning with computer-related stuff anymore.

I'll miss some of the discussions though... :(

Put well into perspective on an astronomy message board I frequent, after they were having troubles and banned 2 high-profile members and had to close their own GD:

Maybe an analogy would help. Imagine a planetarium in your local town. You go there and meet people with similar interests and have a great time hanging out with them. The owner of the planetarium likes hanging out with everyone too, and decides to build a little rec room.

It's a great idea. You and your friends hang out and play pool or whatever. But after a few months you start noticing fights breaking out. For some reason, people can't be civil and treat each other with respect. Then you realize, hey wait a minute, who are all these people? They didn't come here for the planetarium. They just came to drink and play pool. Conceptually there's nothing wrong with people coming just to play pool, but the fact is, when it was just the planetarium people, there were no fights. Everyone respected each other. Realizing this, the owner makes a new rule: the rec room is only for people who enter through the planetarium.

On that board however, there is only one admin no mods...and he admits to not 'trusting' anyone enough to put them in charge of anywhere.

The most important thing to remember: if you feel yourself getting overheated by some topic, walk away from the keyboard. Posting in haste very rarely accomplishes your goals, and as we have seen can result in quite the opposite. This does not mean you cannot be emotional-- we are humans, after all. Heated debates are fine, but I will not condone sheer argumentation. Find some other place for that.

I think that paragraph applies to everyone. :)

with regards

So it was true, GD is disabled.

I think it was the right thing to do now. :)

I hope the future for the pit is bright. :)

I asked about this in on Page 5 (or was it 4).

The thing is, you can't account for how the non-tech savy people are going to get 200 posts (which is a lot, if you think about it).

We don't want post-whoring to go around either.

Maybe a registration day limit (like you have to be a month old before you can post in GD)?

I doubt that will help much, though.

sorry didnt see it but in reality if they dont know GD exists why would you post :filtered: to get to it?

I think my point is that by removing a lot of the "non-tech savy" people you would remove some of the problem areas.

I know I am far from perfect but I have been here a long time and probably learn more than I help but I do try and help when I can. As well I will continue to come here and help with or without GD which in my opinion is what we need.

The registration time limit would work also but what if they register, post once then come back two months later and notice GD?

sorry didnt see it but in reality if they dont know GD exists why would you post :filtered: to get to it?

I think my point is that by removing a lot of the "non-tech savy" people you would remove some of the problem areas.

I know I am far from perfect but I have been here a long time and probably learn more than I help but I do try and help when I can. As well I will continue to come here and help with or without GD which in my opinion is what we need.

The registration time limit would work also but what if they register, post once then come back two months later and notice GD?

I think the problem is people who initially came to PCPitstop looking for help, got their answer, then just hung around in GD.

with regards