Change Mode

:rolleyes:

I really need some input here. Thank goodness, it's not a scripts error this time, but really I just need some advice.

With all of the crap I went through with IE as far as the dll goes, is this avoidable with Mozilla? I have heard that Mozilla is far more secure than IE, but how easy is it to learn? I'm slowly climbing up the ladder from being a newbie, but I don't want to be overwhelmed. About three months ago or so, I "decided" that I wanted to switch to Opera, took one look at the browser screen and bailed. It was the free version though and loaded with ads.

So if anyone can give me some pointers, I would appreciate it. Joe, Hawk, Porthos, Jacee, and anyone who I forgot to mention - really thanks for all of the help with the scripts error. But ya know, at least I learned something new. At my age (50 something), this is a real good thing.

Like I said, everything I've read is good, so should I give it a try. If it doesn't work, how easy is it to uninstall? I think I read on their site that "Add and Remove Programs" should to it and I guess just reset my web setting. Is that right?

Thanks again. :unsure:

Firefox is very easy to install... Installs just as any other normal application would.

It is far more secure than Internet Explorer.

The user interface is not much different than Internet Explorer, either... Only difference realls is that there are less of the useless buttons up. Just the ones you need, like Back, Forward, Stop, Refresh, and Home. It's highly customizable though. So if you want more buttons up there then by all means, add 'em by right clicking and choosing what you want (A lot like iE)

There are no adverts like Opera's Free Edition.

The only downside to Firefox is that it takes a little longer than iE to load... Otherwsie once it's up and running it's very fast, and as soon as you decide t otake advantage of it's tabbed browsing feautre you'll never want to use iE again.

Another negative point about Firefox (Okay, I guess there's two downsides) is that you cannot run windows updates using Firefox.

All-in-All, though I would highly recommend Firefox over Internt Explorer anyday.

: all4sma :

By the way, Mozilla and Firefox are different web browsers, made by the same company. Firefox is designed to be just a browser, and Mozilla is a suite, browser, mail client, web building program etc. Neither are very different from IE in ease of use. And about the comment that a downside of Firefox is that you can't do Windows Updates, that's Microsoft's problem, not FF's. You can just use automatic updates anyways. And the only reason IE loads faster, is because it's built in to the OS, so as your waiting for Windows to start up, your actually waiting for IE (along with the rest of Windows) to load. If you want, you can set FF to prefetch, so it'll load then, and start instantly later.

Mozilla and Firefox are fairly easy to use. Firefox does have a help section if you do get stuck.

I have yet to use Opera, so I have no opinion.

I used to use IE for a long time before knowing about Mozilla Firefox. The switch, for me, wasn't all that difficult. I don't use the tabbed browsing all the much, but it is a convenience if you're needing to look at multiple web pages.

Guest nobman

Go for it!! I switched to Firefox a long time ago. I agree with everything said thus fa and can only add that since Firefox is an "Open System" you can add 'extensions' which are user written goodies/added functions. My advice is to pick those entensions that you need.

Go for it!! I switched to Firefox a long time ago. I agree with everything said thus fa and can only add that since Firefox is an "Open System" you can add 'extensions' which are user written goodies/added functions. My advice is to pick those entensions that you need.

I've read in a few places that those 'extensions' have recently been targeted by hackers. I've installed FF, NS and OP....but IE still remains the pic of the bunch for me. :mrwinky:

with regards

With Mozilla and Firefox, you get browsers that have more helpful features than IE and are less prone to getting a virus. I have used Netscape and Mozilla for many years and they are great browsers.

With Mozilla and Firefox, you get browsers that have more helpful features than IE and are less prone to getting a virus. I have used Netscape and Mozilla for many years and they are great browsers.

IE is more security safe when you lock down some of it's automatically enabled features...and as time goes by, people will learn how to exploit the other browsers as they become more popular. I wouldn't use them just because they are 'more safe.' ;)

with regards

IE is more security safe when you lock down some of it's automatically enabled features...and as time goes by, people will learn how to exploit the other browsers as they become more popular. I wouldn't use them just because they are 'more safe.' ;)

with regards

Munch,

I can see where you are headed. The fact of the matter is, FF and MO ARE safer to use. Saying "Dont use them simply because its safer for now" is like saying "dont cross the road, cause you might get hit"

Yes, eventually people are going to be able to exploit FF. When will that be? I Dont know, do you?

So use it now. An when the exploits start happening, there will be something else around thats better and safer.

Please read this and this. I realise they are already a few months old, but it highlights that no browser is infallable - and I fear that is the image some people are getting about FF and co.

The fact of the matter is, FF and MO ARE safer to use.

I disagree. If you lockdown IE, you can make it potentially safer than FF. Several times there have been links posted here at pcpitstop, for testing the comprimisibility of browsers by a site that gives a 'fake' test to see how secure the browser is. Unfortunately I don't have any of the links anymore (some of them are now lost in GD) but in more than one of the tests my secured IE passed whilst none of the other browsers did.

Saying "Dont use them simply because its safer for now" is like saying "dont cross the road, cause you might get hit"

Sorry, I don't quite see the correlation in that analogy... :unsure:

with regards

I use FireFox...

For me, its faster than IE and when you click on links you don't get that annoying "click" sound... ( although, i have no idea if that can get turned off in IE )

I just prefer FireFox, due to its tabbed browsing and overall speed and it's dead easy to get used to..

:)

For me, its faster than IE and when you click on links you don't get that annoying "click" sound... ( although, i have no idea if that can get turned off in IE )

Haha, I have my speakers turned off unless I'm listening to music, so it doesn't bother me.

If you wanna turn em off, you can go into control panel and under "sounds and audio devices" choose the "sounds" tab then scroll to find Internet explorer. From there you can customise what sounds you want as well. :)

I just prefer FireFox, due to its tabbed browsing and overall speed and it's dead easy to get used to..

IE are finally bringing out tabbed browsing...in IE7. :rolleyes: (I read somewhere you could get em for IE6 as well)

Downloading files in IE is much quicker than FF, I find. And when I type in the URL in the address bar, it lags a little in FF (probably something up my end). :)

with regards

Different people, different opinions!

I use Firefox all the time, and much prefer it over IE.

I suppose my advice would be that it does no harm to try. Install FF and see how you get on with it. IF it's for you, then great, if not, simply uninstall and carry on using IE.

Personally, I find it quicker in some circumstances, easy to customise, good with downloads and I love tabbed browsing, rather than lots of different windows.

Avant is also a good browser that I used to use a lot too.

I suppose my advice would be that it does no harm to try. Install FF and see how you get on with it. IF it's for you, then great, if not, simply uninstall and carry on using IE.

:tup:

I originally installed OP, FF and NS to see my website from different perspectives (sure opened up my eyes a bit :lol:) but I still prefer to use IE. :)

Avant is also a good browser that I used to use a lot too.

I've heard a few people rave about Avant before...

with regards

I have used Mozilla and Firefox for a long time. personally I like FF. it is very custmizable. (weather, email checker, news, different search bars, lots of tools and gadjets) I love toys

plus since it is open source there are many ways you can tweak the browser to load faster etc. (just type in about:config in the adrees line and you will see)

right now FF is working on a new beta project. its still FF but code named DEER PARK. and has some different options like sanitize.

:tup:

:rolleyes: Well, hello all you good people again! I did it, jumped into FF head first and fell in love! This lady just happens to think FF is the best thing since sliced bread. I love the security - getting to pick just who can set cookies, setting it to empty my cache daily, no more than 400 kb to use in temp files, that sort of thing. I have run AdAware on it twice this week, last one was absolutely 0 risks, negligible or otherwise. I've run Optimize and there's mostly nothing to clean out.

I think the only downside I've had is with the graphics. I just can't seem to get them set right so I can view web pages like I used to and I don't know how to fix that. I went to their forum and I did everything they suggested and still some pages just won't display. Still don't know about the profile thing yet - I forgot if I did a profile. I guess I did at installation and just didn't know that was it. So if there are any suggestions about the graphics, I'd appreciate them.

I also like the Thunderbird email. Much more storage and more secure. With my poor little computer, I need all the help again.

I use mozilla, and with that you need to install shock wave, and flash player, also need to get java installed to...is it the same for F.F. or does the browser come with it

Well Joe, I used the "find" and found Shock Wave and Flash Player, but I didn't find them in the Mozilla program folder, just in the Windows system and the dates on them are old, so it looks like I don't have them installed in the Firefox. Let me go see what I can do about that.

Thanks! Hope that does it. ;)

Thanks again....I had already installed Java when I first got the Firefox. I downloaded the Flash Player, but the one that I found in the Mozilla file had been installed previously before I even had Firefox. I haven't done too much browsing right now, so I really don't know if it'll work. The same with Shock Wave, it was installed when I had IE. I don't know, maybe the graphics have changed. Several of the web pages looked like plain text. My Yahoo screen has my background color to it even though I don't have that checked in my FF options for colors and fonts.

Hell, I'm having a problem getting a compact theme for my Thunderbird (which I think is fantastic by the way), but I now have only a 15" monitor and the standard theme just makes it impossible to view the "OK" button at the bottom of a window, if you know what I mean.

If I could get the graphics working right and maybe familiarize myself with some of the extensions and add-ons, some as recently as this week, that'll be great. Still wouldn't trade IE though. Micro$oft really ticked me off when I found out that as of Feb. 2006, you can't have WindowsXP without the IE, won't work with a stand-alone browser. Therefore, all the interest on my part in this other alternative. It is doing what it's supposed to do and that's a lot more than I ever got from IE.

SO, if you have any other ideas let me know. :snooze: I'll tackle this in the morning, or rather later this morning. Thanks again. I love this place!

I did it, jumped into FF head first and fell in love! This lady just happens to think FF is the best thing since sliced bread. I love the security - getting to pick just who can set cookies, setting it to empty my cache daily, no more than 400 kb to use in temp files, that sort of thing. I have run AdAware on it twice this week, last one was absolutely 0 risks, negligible or otherwise. I've run Optimize and there's mostly nothing to clean out.

You can do all that stuff with IE...and if you're getting junk in ad-aware, just use SpywareBlaster. B)

The best thing about FF is the search bar, that is pretty awesome. :)

with regards

Hi Joe and all you wonderful people. I have had a miserable day. I hate to blame Optimize for anything, but I ran Optimize to see if I could get rid of redundant settings for Flash Player. Well, I really don't pay much attention to what they are doing so I just let it go ahead and do it's thing. This morning when I tried to access the PitStop, I couldn't get into the forum. Webmaster gave me something like "named server unable to process this query" message.

I tried everything in the book that I could think of, except restore from Optimize and go to the settings as they were. Now, I can access the forum from Mozilla Thunderbird. Can anyone tell me what happened here?

Oh and Champion Munch, it's just that with Firefox I don't have the need for a spyware blaster, at least for now. For P2P I have Peer Guardian. I have a program Ghost Surf 2005, but I haven't put it in because I'm in a fog as to how to have Firefox set up a proxy. I don't know how to. Maybe the software does it, the Ghost Surf, but I hate to have something in my computer that I can't undo or know when and how to use it. I'll learn though, but as I said, I was haviing enough trouble with not accessing the Pit Forum through Firefox Thunderbird.

I also understand, and maybe someone has a clue how to make this easy, that I can't run tests through Firefox. Now I can access through the IE I guess, but should I try to install the Neptune thing. That seems complicated and all I did was go around in circles with that site today too. I'd get to the download page, put in my address, they would send me a reply and I would wind up doing the same thing over and over without it ever getting downloaded. What's with this?

Anyway, just needed to vent. Maybe it's good this happened and I can get a few more good pointers. :huh:

Well, I really don't pay much attention to what they are doing so I just let it go ahead and do it's thing. This morning when I tried to access the PitStop, I couldn't get into the forum. Webmaster gave me something like "named server unable to process this query" message.

Have a look at this topic. :)

with regards