Change Mode

has anyone cooled there case yet

im wondering why hd permance drops when i cool the case below 40F*

heres what happens, sata 2 starts making clickin sounds and when i restart the xp loadin bar stops and moves like clockwork, it takes five minutes to boot, when it does i get a hardware failure error, something like slow read bla bla

i could take temps below freezing, but i cant get below forty without raid crashing :help:

Seems I remember something about fluid filled motors. So probably lower temps start thickening fluid. Probably not a good thing for HD life in the long run.

Seems I remember something about fluid filled motors. So probably lower temps start thickening fluid. Probably not a good thing for HD life in the long run.

ouch, your rite , that fliud gets thick when cold eh, now

what should i do

Try to isolate the coldness.. or isolate your hard drives

You could also insulate your hard drives..

like rap them in insulation, or leave them out of the case

would they get too hot in insulation, or will they balance out wile the compressor is going

If you can get them out of the case and away from the coldness then that might be the best option.. but if you can't, I think having them albeit too hot is better than having them too cold.

thanks im off to try them out, be back with cold temps :)

I haven't been following what your doing. Even if your inside case temps is at or just below 40F the temps inside the drives themselves would still be pretty warm. Are you sure that's what the problem is or are the temps quite a bit colder than that?

I haven't been following what your doing.  Even if your inside case temps is at or just below 40F the temps inside the drives themselves would still be pretty warm.  Are you sure that's what the problem is or are the temps quite a bit colder than that?

no im not sure :)

i think everst may be wrong though, i put my hand in the case and it feels much colder, im gonna put a thermo monitor in it and see

ok temp probe says 29F* everst says

edit: bad link http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/duanester/tested.jpg

Edited by duanester

i had sata issues for a good 12 months and i had many threads in here about low and wierd performing raid 0,

i tried changing mobo's, rma'd about 8 drives, upgraded cpu and psu and nothing fixed it, left the window shut one day and realised the cold was the cause all along.

maxtor diamondmax9's dont like cool temps :D

mine were around 25c in everest when i had problems, there about 35-40c now ;)

Edited by spookywillow

i had sata issues for a good 12 months and i had many threads in here about low and wierd performing raid 0,

i tried changing mobo's, rma'd about 8 drives, upgraded cpu and psu and nothing fixed it, left the window shut one day and realised the cold was the cause all along.

maxtor diamondmax9's dont like cool temps :D

mine were around 25c in everest when i had problems, there about 35-40c now ;)

i have the same dang drives :blink:

my wd 250gb got the same problem. when i had my hdd cooler on the hardrive it was reading 24c too 28c and a month later i was geting real bad problems. my hardrive was slowing down and turning off and on. so i took off the cooler and it was fine ever sence :) its reading 32c idel and about 38c load for the hardrive now. i thought every hardware like too be cool :blink:

the very first link with temps i posted was with a an older system that had a 5200rpm hd, the second link was a modern system with the maxtors, well it seems that the older drives take the cold well, assuming these new drives have technoligy that allows them to perform under very hot temps, but i noticed 20% more performance from the 5200rpm at lower temps, below 30F*