Sign in to follow this  
volt

End of the IRA ?

http://www.boston.com/news/world/europe/ar...aration/?page=1

If this truely works out...my congratulations to everyone who stood for a different tact...

Have been following this conflict since I was a teenager,, and from here it seemed a lost cause to ever get the issues that divided everyone into the right venue...just maybe now is the time??

Let the people living there decide who rules.

Shannon said most IRA members accept that their goal of a united Ireland must be achieved through politics

Well we will see, hope they've finally woken up to the fact that terrorism and cold blooded assassination isn't the answer.

Not all Irish want the Brits out, maybe a referendum is on the cards some day.

Well we will see, hope they've finally woken up to the fact that terrorism and cold blooded assassination isn't the answer.

Not all Irish want the Brits out, maybe a referendum is on the cards some day.

To me...just the fact that most of the hardline IRA is willing to give up their guns and go the political route is a victory for everyone involved...have to stop killing folks to make a point. same goes for the Brits..they are relaxing their stranglehold in some places too.

go the political route is a victory for everyone involved...have to stop killing folks to make a point.

Well said, advice we should ourselves follow. :tup:

To me...just the fact that most of the hardline IRA is willing to give up their guns and go the political route is a victory for everyone involved...have to stop killing folks to make a point. same goes for the Brits..they are relaxing their stranglehold in some places too.

:P

I wasn't gunna Post, but I will on this one!

IDIOT Terrorists, be Warned! The World is Uniting against Ya!

About bloody time too, Mate!

:woot::rofl3::rofl2:

Yesterday’s changes brought condemnation from the Unionists.

The Sunday Times

Gregory Campbell, the Democratic Unionist security spokesman, said: “After saying that IRA words are not enough and actions from the Provos [Provisional IRA] need to follow, the Government have turned their own words on their head and acted in advance of any substantive movement from the IRA.

“It is utterly irresponsible to abandon these installations with such haste.”

Peter Hain, the Northern Ireland Secretary, admitted that the IRA had broken its word before, and agreed with Bertie Ahern, the Irish Prime Minister, that all violence and crime had to end.

Just how many weapons and munitions were handed over or destroyed in the last "bid for peace" ......Yet all the nutters were let out of jail ....

Blairs been played for the fool before ......

"that all violence and crime had to end"

"New" "real "IRA gets selection of the choicest weapons ....rusty crap destroyed in a media fest ...next ....Adams washes his hands and sez ......nothing to do with me .....mick ....and then goes to the white house for a fund raising tea party ...

I guess that we should be "thankfull" that Gerry and co have agreed not to continue to butcher innocents .......

Nothing to do with the fact that the Money is is drying up in the US .......after the US had a dose of terrorism on its own soil ...

Just how many weapons and munitions were handed over or destroyed in the last "bid for peace" ......Yet all the nutters were let out of jail ....

"New" "real "IRA gets selection of the choicest weapons ....rusty crap destroyed in a media fest ...next ....Adams washes his hands and sez ......nothing to do with me .....mick ....and then goes to the white house for a fund raising tea party ...

I guess that we should be "thankfull" that Gerry and co have agreed not to continue to butcher innocents .......

Nothing to do with the fact that the Money is is drying up in the US .......after the US had a dose of terrorism on its own soil ...

My turn to tell you to settle down, Mate!

Drink a few of these?

:beer: :beer: :beer:

That so many hardliner's were finally seeing that the violence was never going to work I found heartning... there is always going to be a minority on both sides who will try to throw a monkey wrench into the mix...

The majority on both sides has to let their voices be heard loud and clear for it to work this time.

Hopefully it will become much more peaceful there now. Those folks have lived in a warzone for far too many years. I hope they are truly sincere about putting an end to the violence.

All we are saying... is give peace a chance. ~ John Lennon

That so many hardliner's were finally seeing that the violence was never going to work I found heartning... there is always going to be a minority on both sides who will try to throw a monkey wrench into the mix...

The majority on both sides has to let their voices be heard loud and clear for it to work this time.

Got me there, Mate, !00% is all I can give! Pollies pull all sorts of Figures, that we ignore! If the World gave just 75%, we can WIN!

:beer: :beer:

Adams getting the bums rush , while the sisters get feted by George ....is the real push ....... Likes the attention of the worlds press , bit like Blair , come to think of it .....

After the bank raid and the initial bad press after the bar murder , he has been increasingly ignored by the UK press as a purveyor of hot air , and thats all !.... aren't most politico's ...? but what did he have to offer .?..other than this ...... or apologise (or not ) for the "hard mens" latest maiming ,killin' robin' , weapon smuggling atrocity .

One and only positive outcome of Osama's efforts .

One brush tars all .

Wait and see what actually happens ....after the BS ...been here before . this time I hope it sticks ...

Adams getting the bums rush , while the sisters get feted by George ....is the real push ....... Likes the attention of the worlds press , bit like Blair , come to think of it .....

After the bank raid and the initial bad press after the bar murder , he has been increasingly ignored by the UK press as a purveyor of hot air , and thats all !.... aren't most politico's ...? but what did he have to offer .?..other than this ...... or apologise (or not ) for the "hard mens" latest maiming ,killin' robin' , weapon smuggling atrocity .

One and only positive outcome of Osama's efforts .

One brush tars all .

Wait and see what actually happens ....after the BS ...been here before . this time I hope it sticks ...

Well I kinda like British bums...think something got lost in that translation...

But glad to see your at least willing to give it a chance....least I think ya are...

Well I kinda like British bums...think something got lost in that translation...

But glad to see your at least willing to give it a chance....least I think ya are...

You better Bet your Bippie on that, Volt, me old China Plate!

That Taffie, although a bit munted, is worth listening to!

Without Characters? What is the Pit?

I am gunna shut up now!

:beer: :beer:

I am gunna shut up now!

Won't make me mad.

Was hoping for some more feedback from those involved...reckon its holiday there tho...

Guest daisy

I tend to agree with Tankus - it's a matter of wait and see. We've been there before. Sure thing is Paisley will not let the wool be pulled over his eyes like Trimble was. We all want to believe the wars over - time will tell.

Posted Image

Blair's two faces of terrorism

Ever since he became Prime Minister and began cutting a deal with the IRA, but still more since the 11 September attacks nearly four years ago, Tony Blair has tried to answer a conundrum: how can terrorism be utterly and unforgivably wrong in one case, but tolerable and negotiable in another? Why is murderous Islamic militancy so different from murderous Irish republicanism?

moral principals can be hard work wriggling sometimes..... especially with the "hand of history" on your shoulder.... liable to give you a slapa across the face ...!

Give Al queda 30 years and well be giving them free passports , and social security benefits .....

opps sorry ...were doing that now ....!

I sincerely hope we get it right this time ....!

volt

think something got lost in that translation

it did .... short shrift ...? ...make more sense ....? ..."talk to the hand ".....? Edited by Tankus

Good article T...but I have my doubts that Blair had any effect on the outcome.... natural conclusion due to current climates methinks... Last paragraph of the article was a bit OTT in my opinion though...

Liked to think he was a player though ..perhaps ...guess your right ......article makes you think though ..dunnit ...! ....Catholic bombs bang more prettily than Muslim ones ...?

Isn't there a marginal racist undercurrent in all this ......?

stop and search .......?

Pity the police didn't have the drive ability and follow through with the political unshackling then ...as they seem to have now ....

8 police (two armed) on my station coming home tonight ..very unusually ....never even normally see a station guard

..they seem to have intelligence that something is close to kicking off ...ah well

Edited by Tankus

Liked to think he was a player though ..perhaps ...guess your right ......article makes you think

Isn't there a marginal racist undercurrent in all this ......?

stop and search .......?

Political expediency will make him take some credit... (he can't help himself)

Are you saying we've moved from accent to colour?.... Could be!.. hope yer wrong though

Well ok Tankus...I think I see where your standing...

However I fail to see where you would like to see this whole thing end...

The murderous Islamic groups sure ain't offering to disarm anytime soon...but at least the main IRA group is offering to try the plolitical way as opposed to what they have been trying for decades...murder and thuggery...

Would it be more to your liking for British troops to track down every last IRA member and kill them or jail them for life?? seems to me that this would be best put behind everyone and try for a peaceful fresh start.

Only some were killed ...all the rest were let out with the good friday agreement ...where in return the IRA would destroy (or put out of reach ...?) "some" weapons ....farce seems a good description

Lets hope they put the weapons where Adams mouth is ......

Edited by Tankus

Guest Hurdy

Are you saying we've moved from accent to colour?.... Could be!.. hope yer wrong though

Why not?

The Irish community were targeted without any comeback from the press or the public - why not the Asian community?

I would venture to guess the political climate of the times almost forced the IRA's hand. Blowing up citizens seems to be a good way to get squished and remove any and all public support you may have in a good portion of the world.

Guest Hurdy

I would venture to guess the political climate of the times almost forced the IRA's hand. Blowing up citizens seems to be a good way to get squished and remove any and all public support you may have in a good portion of the world.

What!?

The IRA pigs were blowing up and maiming people and you think they had public support?

Not this side of the Atlantic they didn't.