Change Mode

1987 firebird headlights problem

gordesky1

me and my mom and dad are trying too figure this out. the pop up headlightes sometimes doesint pop up like one goes up and the other stays down. than it starts too go back down when we are driveing. than sometimes we got too pull them up. for couple days they both go up but they go up alittle bit than go down some than they go right up. we check the motors they are spining we even oil them it seem like it help a little. but they still have trouble.

hehe thirdgen guy here w00t.

Brandon is right, the motor that controls the headlight movement is probably out on it.

Motors are probably in the 40-50 dollar range if you get used. Might want to hit up ebay or go to www.thirdgen.org and look in their message boards. They have a section for classifieds so you can ask for some motors.

Also might want to consider a junkyard. Could get it alot cheaper there.

there is a way to get them to stick in the up position, but im not totally sure how. are they powered on a fuse? or you could convert them to regular headlight assembly but that looks complicated.

thunder, cant you get them to stick up? like with electric seatbelts.... put them in the position you want them in and yank the fuse?

Not that I know of unless there is some ingenious rewiring involved. Because when those lights flip up, the lights will also turn on. That could be annoying during the day time.

. Thats one thing I don't care for on the firebird is the flipup lights. Sure, their drag coefficient is better than a Camaros because its all sleek, but I never have to worry about such a problem :mrgreen:

Thats one thing I don't care for on the firebird is the flipup lights.

flipup lights suck on any car. they look stupid to me. no offense of course.

edit--thanks thunder, i wasnt sure.

i realy dont want them too stick up all the time tho:( i think it whould look stupit in the day lol the car is realy trick out i dont want it too look stupit :mrsgreen: but i allways love flip up lightes tho. i like how the hood goes down like a corvette.

yep same here i allways like the look of the 80s firebirds and Camaros :) we went with the firebird tho and because of the movie knightrider :) i call it my custem knightrider it looks like kitt but we got it black and gold and with a knightrider light in front :) i show pics of it when it turns day here :)

Sweet , I'd like to see it.

What size motor? If its an 87, they offered a variety. 350?305? or is it a v6?

If its a 305 or v6 I hope it's a manual trans :mrgreen: My camaro started life as a 2.8l v6 with a 5 spd but I had to put in an auto when I swapped in the 350 V8. A good manual trans woulda been too much for me :(

heh well the good news is we got his car running and driving! 91 plymouth laser that he bought for 150 dollars. It has an almost immaculate body and paint job (a few blemishes but VERY little) Its a very nice pearl white. I'm just happy he didnt have that trans wasted :lol:

here they are

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/9607/imag00185te.jpg

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/939/imag00172zh.jpg

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/5408/imag00161xc.jpg

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/6177/imag00151yp.jpg

i get better shots later when it gets sunny and when it gets wash :)

by the way we just got the Rear Window Louvers about a month ago for ony 25$ :)

forgot about the engine its a 2.8fuelinjection auto trans and it clean but it gots lots of power for a v6 tho ony got 85,000 miles and it just sounds like a v8 too i got muffer tips on both tail pipes :) when you push the gas padal it throws you back and takes off B)

it whould have alot more power but it needs tune or a censor it revs up and down when it just sits.

Pics didn't work for me, they timed out :(

As for the 2.8L being powerful.... you gotta step into a car with a 5.7L v8. My car was a 2.8L but with a 5 spd, and it wasn't fast at all. The 350 I put in my car was pretty sweet when it was in the other camaro and I drove that around.

i did drove my ants 1985 ta with a 302 or a 350 v8 and us firebird seems like it gots more power lol even the garages said they cant tell the diff from a v12 jagwire too us car :) maybee its real tuned or something :) and on the freeway my mom had it up too 90mph and it still wanted too go and she ony was touching the gas :lol: and my dad said it gots lots of power for a v6:) and he should know he had a 1969 dodge charger 440 rt wish he whould of kept that car :( the pics are working for me.

Archived