Change Mode

Police Shoot Man dead

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Military Weapons are designed to KILL!

Actually thats incorrect. The function of most military small arms is to wound. When you wound a combatant, it takes 1 to 3 combatants out of the battle(assuming you are not going to leave your buddy laying there). If you kill a combatant, you have only removed 1.

Actually thats incorrect. The function of most military small arms is to wound. When you wound a combatant, it takes 1 to 3 combatants out of the battle(assuming you are not going to leave your buddy laying there). If you kill a combatant, you have only removed 1.

Very nitty gritty,,but true at least for western forces.

Well now ya got me wondering...hope they get this cleared up by october...

Lol ! Don't worry , v, it ain't a 'shoot-to-kill-electricians' policy.

To be 'safe' though, wear just your Pit thong and keep your hands on your head. Should be very entertaining whilst passing through Earl's Court. :lol:

Good link, Bruce. Diplomatic pressure will help bring charges.

Posted Image

Edited by moon

Lol !  Don't worry , v, it ain't a 'shoot-to-kill-electricians' policy. 

To be 'safe' though, wear just your Pit thong and keep your hands on your head.  Should be very entertaining whilst passing through Earl's Court.  :lol:

Good link, Bruce.  Diplomatic pressure will help bring charges.

Wouldn't be able to hide much of a bomb in my pit thong..good idea moon...need one hand free for my bag tho... :lol:

Cop gun man was killed by 8 bullets.

Tube shooting victim Jean Charles de Menezes was hit EIGHT times, an inquest heard yesterday.  Brazilian Mr de Menezes 27 - Killed as he fled cops at Stockwell station on Friday - was shot seven times in the head and once in the shoulder, Coroner John Sampson said.  Earlier reports said he was shot five times.  the inquest at Southwark cononer's court was adjourned.  PM Tony Balire expressed his "desperate sorrow" yesterday for Mr de Menezes's death.  He said: "I understand entirely the feelings of the young man's family.  But we also have to understand the police are doing theirjob in a very very difficult circumstances.  It is important we give them every support."

Taken from today's Sun newspaper...

There have been question regarding people running from police and what the police do. Here is an example that I think is the norm here.

Daily News

A police officer saw Davy "reach into the waistband area of his pants" and told him to stop, according to a criminal complaint. Davy, 22, who has had two other busts for resisting arrest, allegedly ran toward his home and was chased by an officer, who tried to arrest him. Davy allegedly grappled with the cop and reached for the cop's gun, but was handcuffed after a struggle.

Its rare when I read about a case where a person ran and the cops shot him just for running.

Edited by hftmrock

Well we wont comment on this Seattle courthouse shooting will we? Because like your posting it is also completely irrelevant.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/229265_shooting20ww.html

Andrew

I appreciate the link. It helps my point. they tried everything they could and when he made a move that could put them in danger, they shot him. They didnt just decide to shoot him right away

My point in the link was to show that police usually do not shoot when someone runs as been the sentiment by some.

Again, thanks for the link.

He sorta had a GRENADE that they could see. Very different situation.

Yes Neo but dont you see... even though they saw it they did not kill him. They talked to him and tried to get him to surrender. It was not until they had no choice that they killed him

And I am not even talking about the London incident. I am referring to the people who have said if you run from the police, they are going to shoot you. I have really never heard that (without the police getting repremanded or fired).

I will let go of this because it takes us off topic. I was just trying to show a different point from what others have posted. Since it takes us off topic. I will not continue

Sorry to take us off topic

Edited by hftmrock

I agree with you, I was making a comment about how silly it is to even ATTEMPT to use that link to buttress the position that it's OK to shoot those who do not cooperate. Even in this situation, in which the man had a visible grenade, they gave the man a chance. The electrician didn't get that.

next time I'll quote someone to make it clear who i'm speaking to. I just happened to post after you.

Edited by Neo X1

They talked to him for 25 minutes and then shot him twice.

No hysteria, no outcry, no pious expressions of grief.

It makes it ok because he was sitting down and not running?

Yes it was a different set of circumstances but he's just as dead.

The grenade was later found to be inactive.

In general, cops shouldn't shoot someone just because they run. If they did, I would hope they lost their jobs and served time.

As for this case - our cops often have to deal with armed crims and rarely use firearms. VERY rarely. That is what makes this case an exception. They must have believed that what they were doing was the right thing at the time. I am sure they didn't just wake up that morning and decide to kill someone later that day. Any cop in any country will suffer varying degrees of trauma after having shot someone and would avoid it if they could. However, their sense of duty would kick in when needed and they would do what they feel they have to do at any given moment.

Certainly we should mourn Mr Menezes, but don't feel so obliged to find a scapegoat for his death amongst the officers whoes only intentions were to protect the public at potentially great personal risk to themselves. If anyone is to blame, it is those that dragged us into an unjust conflict that has started to inflame the Muslim world and will continue to do so for decades to come.

In general, cops shouldn't shoot someone just because they run. If they did, I would hope they lost their jobs and served time.

As for this case - our cops often have to deal with armed crims and rarely use firearms. VERY rarely. That is what makes this case an exception. They must have believed that what they were doing was the right thing at the time. I am sure they didn't just wake up that morning and decide to kill someone later that day. Any cop in any country will suffer varying degrees of trauma after having shot someone and would avoid it if they could. However, their sense of duty would kick in when needed and they would do what they feel they have to do at any given moment.

Certainly we should mourn Mr Menezes, but don't feel so obliged to find a scapegoat for his death amongst the officers whoes only intentions were to protect the public at potentially great personal risk to themselves. If anyone is to blame, it is those that dragged us into an unjust conflict that has started to inflame the Muslim world and will continue to do so for decades to come.

I agree with most of what you said but since its back on topic, I think the place that gave the order was wrong and I thing the policy is wrong. Not the police that as just following orders and trying to save lives