Change Mode

Best OCing RAM for around 160?

I am not going to OC right away, but I probably will down the line somewhere. I don't want to spend more than 160 at the moment for a gig, so I have it limited to these four, but still open to other recommendations.

Patriot

Gskill

OCZ

Geil

Now, my instinct is telling me Patriot, and there are only a couple days left to get it at that price, but I don't know. All the reviews seem to be great for it, and they said it overclocks well for the price.

I don't know about the Gskill, I know the higher priced stuff is awesome, but this is kind of value RAM I guess.

The OCZ I think needs a boatload of voltage to overclock well.

I know nothing about the Geil. It's DDR500, but the CAS is higher, though I suppose acceptable at those speeds.

Any help would be appreciated, because I am totally lost now thanks to the 500000 kinds out there.

I found some more, but it's PC3200. Do you know if this stuff is any good?

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/m...=Unbuffered_OCZ

And then there is Patriot PC4000 RAM:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820220009

I am so totally lost right now, and no one else is really helping me out, so I thought I'd try here too.

I have that geil ram you posted. It runs real fast stock, but I haven't overclocked it yet, so I can't really declare its overclockability.

Sure looks great though. :P

Edited by TorreyIsLDS

Thanks guys, I keep these in mind.

I did look at the Ballistix, but last time I checked, it was like $250 for a gig. I don't see it say Ballistix in the link you posted other than on the stick itself, it must be a different kind or something.

And Terry - This was later in my post, is this the kind you use?

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/m...=Unbuffered_OCZ

EDIT: After reading that thread you posted, I think I may go with Gskill right now. That overclock was very impressive.

Edited by ice_141

If your going to overclock you don't want to use DDR 400 (PC 3200). You need to get at least (PC 3500) or better! And yes there are some cmparable in price to those you have listed that are (PC 3200)!

If your going to overclock you don't want to use DDR 400 (PC 3200). You need to get at least (PC 3500) or better! And yes there are some cmparable in price to those you have listed that are (PC 3200)!

As seen in the other link, some PC3200 overclocks very well, and has tighter timings. IIRC, Athlon 64's like tighter timings, and I haven't seen many higher clocked RAM sticks that have tighter timings.

As seen in the other link, some PC3200 overclocks very well, and has tighter timings. IIRC, Athlon 64's like tighter timings, and I haven't seen many higher clocked RAM sticks that have tighter timings.

I speak only from experience, and not from what other people have told me.

It's in my tech express link, and have used some of the best PC 3200 there is out there and no PC 3200 can compare to my PC 3500, and how much tighter can you get with AMD than 2.5-3-3-5 w/ pc 3200? :blink:

Generally speaking the value GSkill tends to overclock very well. There is a possibility that any memory that you buy that is rated at PC3200 will not overclock very well at all but if you buy higher rated memory (PC4400) it is garaunteed to at least go as high as it is rated. For an example my GSkill 4400 has gone up to 315 fsb which tranlates to about PC5000+.

I would also stay away from any memory that requires 3.2v or more to achieve its rated timings. Like the OCZ PC4000VX. It really only works good in DFI NF4 boards with lots of votlage and even then there have been stability issues.

Gryph

I speak only from experience, and not from what other people have told me.

It's in my tech express link, and have used some of the best PC 3200 there is out there and no PC 3200 can  compare to my PC 3500, and how much tighter can you get with AMD than 2.5-3-3-5  w/ pc 3200?  :blink:

2-2-2-5. That guy did it in 1.5-2-2-5.

I bought the Gskill, so lease no one make me second guess my purchase :)

Edited by ice_141

I have one remark about the 1.5 cas setting. You can set that in the bios on a few motherboards but the AMD cpu does not support 1.5 cas. So if you do set 1.5 cas then you simply will be running 2.0cas since the memory controller is on the cpu and NOT the motherboard. I read that in a comment from AMD.

Gryph