Change Mode

Can't find the culprit

Guest TaroReadr

I can't get rid of self duplicating spyware. I don't even have a clue WHAT it is I have. Something new always tries to come back after every reboot and of course I have a gazillion popups (attempting, I run pop up stopper)

I also had a supposed attempt of the navidad worm to install but it was caught. I'm stumped

Programs I've tried to get rid of this problem:

AdAware

Spybot

Ewido

Microsoft Antispyware

SpywareBlaster

Spyware Doctor

I also Ran The AbetterInterner remover, Nailfix, AproposMedia fix, look2me tool

I'm out of ideas, I even ran Hijack This and then later tried a system restore.

Can somebody try to help me and what should I do first, post a log of something?

Please help, I'm going to go insane! LOL

Thanks a bunch!

P.S. My bro is a pretty capable programmer & the like and he is lost as well!!

Let me make a suggestion till an expert can read your post....

Make sure you have all the latest antivirus defintions.....for spybot and ada-ware also.

Disable system restore......then reboot into safe mode, and run scans again.

See if it finds any files to delete.

Reboot back to normal mode and I bet your gonna need to do a hjt log soon.

http://pcpitstop.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=1769

read the link for help

Guest TaroReadr

Those were fixes form Symantec, and another reputable forum (sorry can't remeber which one at the moment)

I do have Norton as well and it found nothing, also did a few scans in safe mode but not with all products, I'll try that now.

Normally when you get infested that badly with spyware, malware, trojans, and/or viruses, System Restore becomes worthless if not in fact part of the problem itself, as 99 times out of 100 your restore points will have become infested as well, and to use System Restore is to restore an infested/infected system. -kd5-

I think sometimes the system restore keeps the spyware and doesnt allow you to get rid if it.

I thought I heard people here say to delete all the restore points and then run a scan

Before doing this I would like someone to back me up here.

i turn off system restores as they take alot of space over time. but did you try webroots spysweeper. its very good and the only object out there able to get rid of the whenu stuff from when you download the free versoin of bearshare(i am guilty on all charges for that) as i got smarter and found lite versions of programs.

I never have an infected user turn off system restore and make a new restore point until I know they're clean. It's better to have a 'dirty' restore point to return to than none at all. Some of this garbage will render it useless.

system restore is a big waste of time as it only restores a certain percentage of the hard drive. it would make more sense to backup and reformat then to do a restore and still have the infection. having a clean restore point doesnt necessarily mean you will get rid of the infection.

if you only plan to restore only (ill check my numbers later) 20% of a hard drive and still have an infection from a virus or spy/adware why do it when you can backup (if you backup regularly shouldnt take too long) and format which would take about the same amount of time and get rid of it completely. also if you do a system restore you are deleting recent drivers installed and some registry items which may include key numbers from a recently installed game and such.

I've noticed on mass installations of spyware...it's usually put in place by a trojan, Kill the trojans first (or make sure that you don't have any) and then start with the spyware clean up. Sure it's easier to format, but that's not always an option for alot of peeps

Try PC World's top spy stoppers:

- Webroot Spy Sweeper http://www.webroot.com (I suppose Spy Sweeper has about 100,000 spyware signatures right now: far more than MS Antispyware, Ad-Aware or Spybot does): try the Spy Audit first - an online scanner which will return a scan log which is pretty helpful in this case. I'm sure Spy Sweeper will pick up something.

- Sunbelt CounterSpy http://www.sunbelt-software.com (highest detection rates in PCWorld's latest review): WARNING: current version of CounterSpy (1.0.29) has an issue with MS Antispy.

Or backup and reformat? :P gives you a fresh start

Guest applisci

I ran into something like this and I went to Microsoft and got the Microsoft Antispyware program. It worked great compared to others and it is free. Then

I wen and got googles search bar which has a pop blocker on it and it keeps the pop ups from coming back. So I have that set up now.

Unfortunately sometimes you have to backup your data and just reformat and start over.

I just follow instructions given by my Antivirus vendor... and was also taught in an online security class I was in,but everyone has their ways.

Let me ask a stupid question, I read so much about backing up data and I agree, but here is my problem.

I'm XP home version SP1, and the manufacturer of my computer doesn't send out software CD's for Windows or any downloaded software programs installed on their computers. We have to create our own. And I did but, the installed applications I use and have valid subscriptions for I fear are not on those back up cd's I had to create.

It's called Compac Recovery CD creator. And after you create those cd's a second copy can not be made....see scarry.

And reason being is that it is my antivirus and firewall.

Then I see so many post here applying to those who have tried to do a fresh install, that it leads me to believe I'll make a big boo boo....

In other words....just call me a nervous Nell....I hate when things go wrong.