Change Mode

After the first MB being DOA, the replacement arrived today. Problem is, I can't seem to get windows loaded. I have 2 36gb raptors on the SATA 3&4 connection and have both Raid drivers loaded. When I try and load Win 2000 it gets to the 'save settings' stage near the end and then freezes. The disc is fine as I have tested it on another pc.

I tried XP Pro, and it crashes on on the registering components stage, albeit at differing times from 19mins left to 14mins.

This is driving me mad.

Any suggestions appreciated

Jack

Oh its a 3200 Venice CPU

Windows hasn't installed though, so when I reset, there is no windows program to load, it just goes back to the boot screen?

Jack

No haven't overclocked it. Funny thing though, it auto recognises my OCZ ram as 166mhz in single ch? not 400 dual.

Giving it a go now with only 1 stick of ram at 200.

Jack

not enjoing this board :angry:

mind my language... but that board is a b*tch to begin with!! but its real nice once set up, i had that board for about 10 months, now my mate has got it, and hes trying to raid, and is getting the same problem, his was overclocked tho, cos i had left it overclocked, was all my pc :D

took off the OC and it worked no probs, have you tryed sata 1+2? other than that, i cant see anything causeing the problems, some others might be able to advise here

good luck anyways :tup:

Hey Dark, this board would try the patience of a saint :lol:

If it doesn't play ball tonight, I'm gonna give it a damn good thrashing ;)

Jack

Edited by Char

it wont let you down once its running, you'll be silently supprised! i was!

if it doesnt play ball.. take a step away.. and switch it off for the night... and forget about it ;)

think about it in the morning then

ur an intel guy, it happens....

:rofl:

:funny: you think it knows ??

Kenny, it installed late last night with only 1 stick of RAM. At least I've got windows on, now it's time to do some tweaking I think but not before a bios update.

Jask

:bang:

lol... i was going to ask the same question spookywillow :lol:

was working my way on to it... never mind...

you think it knows ??

i bet it does :P

bios update will come first with that mobo!! it gets more stabity with a new bios i found

i have the same board and i had a hard time installing with it too. my answer was in the memory placement. make sure you use slots 1 and 2. installing 3 sticks of ram wont allow you to boot at all.

No haven't overclocked it. Funny thing though, it auto recognises my OCZ ram as 166mhz in single ch? not 400 dual.

Giving it a go now with only 1 stick of ram at 200.

Jack

not enjoing this board :angry:

I could have told you that. :P

Now then, it seems to be working better (slightly)

The drivers on the floppy provided for RAID didn't work very well. So I downloaded the latest from MSI website and sorted that. I put the raptors on SATA 3&4 as they can be locked, apparently 1&2 can't.

Installed only one stick of RAM in the first green slot, changed the speed from auto to 200mhz (it defaulted to 166 otherwise?) and windows loaded no problems.

Now I've put the other stick of RAM in slot 2 (one in green and one in purple) and it boots no problem. I got this from the MSI website, although this is different from my Asus board, where I put the RAM in the same colour slot to get dual chanel.

Putting some programs on now, before the burn in. How long should I run prime for?

Lots more tweaking needed in this board........

Jack

if you go into the cell menu you can up the cpu voltage by 5% and keep your HTx5 and still overclock. its very limited though. all i can get is 209mhz fsb. i tried 210 but windows wont load.

if you go into the cell menu you can up the cpu voltage by 5% and keep your HTx5 and still overclock. its very limited though. all i can get is 209mhz fsb. i tried 210 but windows wont load.

for stability, you should keep the HT multiplier at x4 when going over 200fsb.....x3 if going over 250fsb.

ht multiplier x fsb should stay at or below 1000.

i do not believe there is any benefit to pushing it over 1000 (200fsb x ht5 = 1000), only thing it will accomplish is instability and maybe even data corruption if you really get carried away.

keeping it at or below 1000 should allow for a higher overclock!!

200fsb x 5 = 1000......good!

209fsb x 5 = 1045......not good! :mrsgreen:

209fsb x 4 = 836........good! .....and should o/c a lot higher! ;)

:beer:

mines at 230x5... and im running.. you are right, anything above 1000 there isnt much of an increase, but i left mine stock, and it runs ok like this anyways seems to bench ok, then again, isnt much of an overclock, normal clock @2.2 ghz, OC'd @2.3ghz lol

i could get my MSI up to 2.39ghz on 2 gig of ram, when i had it... 218x11 @ HTTx3... when i had it on x4 wouldnt boot most of the time... but still worked...

only thing that stopped me... was voltages... they were getting silly on the ram side to get it to go higher, and it was crucial pc3200's 4x512's

Edited by dark