Change Mode

Getting a Virus from a JPG

I was reading at a Yahoo group about getting viruses and someone asked this question: “Is it possible to trigger a virus simply by opening

email? I've been advised to turn off "preview panes"

(and did that). Also, is there any truth to the story that opening an image file, like JPG or GIF, can launch a virus?”

Someone answered “Yes to both questions”. Was his answer correct?

I did not think that you could get a virus from a .jpg or just by opening a email with out clicking on an attachment.

I hope that this is not too stupid of a question to ask here. This is my first time posting at the “Viruses, Spyware, Adware” forum But now I am concerned about clicking on a .jpg at someone’s website. I am an artist and I look at many paintings and drawings from my group members at Yahoo and other websites. So far I have not gotten a virus from someone’s artwork.

I am now concerned about getting a virus or a Trojan horse from just looking at artwork.

If anyone can give me insight to thiuestion it will be appreciated.

Ok I'm not an expert, just experienced. There are a lot of things that can "trigger" a virus if it is sitting there and written in a way to be triggered in certain ways. So it must be possible to trigger a virus by clicking on an image file. But if you have an anti-virus running then I wouldn't be paranoid about opening a jpg file or clicking on a jpg on a website.

If you're running Outlook Express you could go to Tools/options/security and click the box to not allow attachements to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus. This would stop *.exe files and similar ones but I just checked and it allowed a jpg to get to me without prompting.

Just be careful about attachements you click on. A file could be named BotticelliVenus.jpg.exe and so the file is a jpg at first glance but really it is an exe file and a program will be executed when you click on it.

Good luck on your image vewing. Just use common sense, and an anti-virus program, when clicking around on websites whose reputation you could have reason to question. B)

Just go with your instincts. If you believe that a link doesn't contain any spyware/viruses, go ahead and click on it. There's no question that any link you go onto the internet may contain a virus(I'm not trying to scare you) but go to sites that are popular.

Thanks for your responses. I feel like a moron at times asking some of my questions.

Then next question I have about viruses is, why would someone put them on their website? Maybe this should be a separate thread I don’t know.

But if you had a website and people came to it why would you want to give them a virus or a Trojan Horse? I just don’t get it. If you are trying to sell something like a painting or what ever you want to sell why would you infect someone’s PC with a virus? What is their thinking?Thanks for your responses.

I don't know why people would spyware/viruses on a website. It's a waste of time but you have certain idiots that would do something like that and it ruins the fun of visiting a site.

I would never even attempt at putting spyware/viruses on my website.

This is true....and I can recall a good while back Nortons having a vuris definition update for one that was out at that time.

And I can remember Microsoft having a critical update for a patch for a malicious attack on JPG files...but I was not able to find the info...

But hang in there, someone will be around soon who knows more

But if you had a website and people came to it why would you want to give them a virus or a Trojan Horse? I just don’t get it. If you are trying to sell something like a painting or what ever you want to sell why would you infect someone’s PC with a virus? What is their thinking?Thanks for your responses.

The major concern with websites and suspicious files are not viruses/trojans (although I suppose someone could put one on their site if they really wanted to), but spyware.

You can contract spyware from various methods, but if you have suitable anti-spyware protection, and use common sense when surfing the internet you should be OK. :)

There are also a few other reputable websites that are there to help people learn about spyware and protecting their computers:

http://www.spywarewarrior.com

http://www.spywareguide.com

with regards

I advised my users to be careful of the Netsky.P worm. This worm is spreading throughout the filesharing networks like Kazaa, Morpheus, Bearshare, etc. Netsky.P also arrives as an email attachment with a ".PIF, .SCR, or .ZIP" file extension.

Some of the more popular jpg.exe filenames are: Arnold Schwarzenegger.jpg.exe, Britney Spears.jpg.exe, Eminem Poster.jpg.exe, and Saddam Hussein.jpg.exe. Just be cautious of any ".exe" file extension.

;) Anthony, MAVsolutions