Change Mode

GeForce 7800 GTX 430 MHz + 40 MHz ?

I can tell you that there are all kinds of weird things going on with the G70 clocks and overclocking utilities. What it amounts to is that I'm unable to overclock at all. Example. My stock single card 05 is between 8100 and 8600 points. My stock SLI cards score 13,100 on 05. If I install RivaTuner it scores the same. If I use RivaTurner either to change a clock setting or change the other settings on the program or card it the score drops to 10,000 on SLI. I think the people who are successfully overclocking like OPP and others are doing so through the bios. JMO

i think its to early to say its worthless as someone will pop out of nowhere with a mod that would take control of that gpu, if that day comes the results will be extreme

I can tell you that there are all kinds of weird things going on with the G70 clocks and overclocking utilities.  What it amounts to is that I'm unable to overclock at all.  Example.  My stock single card 05 is between 8100 and 8600 points.  My stock SLI cards score 13,100 on 05.  If I install RivaTuner it scores the same.  If I use RivaTurner either to change a clock setting or change the other settings on the program or card it the score drops to 10,000 on SLI.  I think the people who are successfully overclocking like OPP and others are doing so through the bios.  JMO

I half agree with Sho here. There are definatly some weird clocking issues but you can get them set higher in SLI with Riva tuner but sometimes they higher clocks wont take effect until the second test of the suite. I still think Nvidia has some work to so on their drivers for the 7800gtx especially when you try to overclock them they dont respond as the previous generation of cards did. Also coolbits rarely works in SLI mode and Riva Tuner 1.56 which was made for the 7800 series drivers also does not work properly either.

New card, new problems and a new learning curve.

Gryph

The cards being clocked 40MHz higher isn't a problem in itself. I'm more concerned with controling what we got. I don't think the drivers are very successful at the moment. I finally took off RivaTuner, reinstalled Driver which also removed CoolBits. Installed Powerstrip and was able to overclock and see increased scores from increased clocks with the corresponding artifacts and finally a lock up by increasing memory clocks too high. Since the lockup scores have dropped again and uninstalling/reinstalling drivers and Powerstrip hasn't corrected the problem. So I thought I had it worked out for a while(3 hours) and now I'm stumped again.

Second install of driver, using stock clocks, scores are back to normal. I'm just too tired of running 3D Mark to test again. Been doing it for 4 days. I've about decided that the excellent scores by Opp and those guys are strictly due to modded bios and overclocking from bios. Either that or they have some better insight into Riva/Coolbits/and powerstrip. My scores drop as soon as I so much as change a setting using an overclocking utility. Literally I can install riva everything tests normal. I can change the settings for testing clocks without changing the clocks and the scores drop. Basically I can install the overclocking utility I just can't open it or scores drop. LOL

hmm that explains why the Gainward card clocked @ 500mhz hardly saw any increase in 3D-05 score over stock ...... so what about the BFG thats OC'd stock at 460mhz .. might that bump to 500mhz ...... i think there are a few people in here with them . we'll have to wait to see what they say ............

regardless it doesnt stop me from wanting one ( or 2 ) :rolleyes:

That's what Gryph has. He got one good card and one that's a dog. He's returning the good bad one I think. Think he's clocked to 540/1350 on the good one. Not sure exactly. My best card will do 519/1300. My second one will do 509/1300. That's stock air/no mods/no flash on bios/ in a hot case with side on.

i bet ya cant wait to get the Vapo back ,,,,,, are you gonna put those cards on water . or hold out for the ultras .. wnen i'm ready i may consider the BFG's as well :beer:

I'm sure I'll have them on water. No use holding up for the Ultras. If they come out in time and are performing well I can use the EVGAs program to trade up. As long as I don't blow them up that is. Not much indepth info but still an interesting bit here .

I have a theory on the issue that has to do with the shader units but I can't post that here. Someone can figure out what I mean and post it if they wish.

Edited by Intratech

Question for you guys, when I ordered my 7800GTXs I had a choice between 430 and 450Mhz. I chose the 450, I was right in doing so wasn't I? :unsure:

All this reading about the 430 has got me confused.

Edited by X_C

All the cards are the same, everyone is using the reference design. The only difference is the bios that they come with and the stickers on the heat sink.

If you want the BFG 460/1300 bios let me know but I think everyone is better off with a hacked bios that gets rid of the thermal throttling.

Gryph

could it be possible that the card stays in 2d mode until a program activates a clock reading on the video card, then it jumps to performance 3d. same thing with the 6600gt, if you leave it in 2d mode the clock is defaulted at 300/1000 but switched to performance 3d is 500/1000.

I dont have any money left after getting two 7800s, but what do you need money for? You cant take it with you. I have always thought "He who dies owing the most, wins" :lol:

Gryph