Sign in to follow this  
Guest starstruck

spyware sheriff has taken over my PC...Help

Guest starstruck

Hi there,

thanks in advance for any help, and I need plenty of it! I have had a spy sheriff invasion on my PC and had the normal wallpaper message and popups. I can't post a Hijack this log because my system will not even boot. In have tried starting in safe mode with no success and I don't not what else to do. Can some one please help me?...Thank-you.

Guest starstruck

Thanks for your reponse.....I am running XP Pro. Any suggestions how I can get my system to boot up?

Guest starstruck

Quick update....I have tried to boot system again and I am not even getting the blue screen now. If i start system normally it seems to just freeze at the black and white loading screen once all of the bars across the bottom become solid. If I attempt to start in safe mode i get a black screen with rows of white text:

"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers" this goes down the whole page with a different driver at the end of each line. System freezes here and does nothing else.

Can someone please suggest how I can best get windows to load so i can then adress the spy sheriff problem?? Thank-you

I did a search on Microsoft Knowledge Base and found this article:

Resources for troubleshooting startup problems in Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...123120121120120

Please scroll down to the "Your computer stops responding when you try to start Windows XP" section.

For this particular case, I think Safe Mode (there are a lot of Safe Mode options) and Last Known Good Configuration are useful.

However, do read all of the remaining. It may help.

Starstruck:

take alook at those last known configuration. that should help.

Oh and :welcome:

If choosing Last Known Good does not work, also try Enable VGA Mode and Safe Mode with command prompt options. Lets us know if any work and if you have floppy disk drives available on both comps.

Ask one of your friends for a DOS startup floppy disk and try and boot in DOS mode.

Then you can try and download adaware and run it from a cd drive, (might not work in DOS but is worth a go).

Hopefully after running adaware you can reboot as normal

Guest starstruck

thanks for then suggestions guys. it will not boot in any mode at all, i have tried all of them. I have a windows start up disc at my office ao i will try and boot from that when i get home.

Guest starstruck

Thanks everyone :lol: i managed to reload windows over the top and i have got my system booting again. Spy sheriff problem sorted at this stage. Thank-you for the fast assistance!

Thanks for the update! Should you start experiencing SpySheriff or other malware related problems again, please post a log in our HijackThis Logs section. Although it's working again, I'm sure there are still plenty of remnants of that infection left on your system, and something may trigger it back to life. ;)