Sign in to follow this  
d-money

PC shuts off but doesnt overheat

I have this presario that has had a bunch of problems and it just randomly shuts off which is a pain while trying to fix it. sometimes it does it after 1 minute of being on other times after 10 minutes. The fan works fine the pc is cool and i'm usually just opening 1 program or im on the internet. I start it back up fine everytime but it will just shut off again. Really strange. Please help

hey,i had this problem about 2 years ago,it was with a packard bell pc,there was dirt in my keyboard inside(from the kids i think) so i opend the keyboard,cleaned it and my problem was solved,try it and when it works the solutionwas cheap too

grtz,mercury

and?my keyboard wasn't that old,but you now it,my kids when they play a game ore something on the pc,they take chips and cookies and then the crumbs fall inti the keyboard,it took me about a week before i've found the solution,and when you change the keyboard it can also shutdown your pc

wasnt the keyboard. I noticed that when i turn on the monitor it almost immediately shuts down sometimes and whenever i open the disk drive (s) it also shuts down. I just doesnt seem to manage anything but the minimun usage

well, it does have something to do with it as different versions of windows have 'things' in different places n' some versions have different 'things' than others n' such :shifty:

anywhooooo, i wanted to reply but need to scoot for a bit n' will check your thread when i return :)

Ok... i did the test. It doesn't seem like any of this would explain the completely random shut down of the pc.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=A0UDNWHQXKQS6HU6

Well I would say that the big red warning that says VIRUS FOUND, REMOVE IMMEDIATELY! could have something to do with your computer shutting down, especially as it's a winlogon trojan.

well i have never dealt with a virus that shuts off the pc like that and i cant keep it on long enough to fix the virus and things won't download correctly like ewido and spybot. I can't delete it from the running processes either because it says it is a critical windows process that cannot be stopped. I don't know what to do. I thought if the virus was shutting off the pc that it would at least say system shuting down or something but it's just like someone pulled the plug.

d-,

It is imperative that you get rid of the virus. You could try shutting off System Restore, reboot, tap F8 after your flashscreen (but before Windows starts to load). Pick the Safe Mode option, continue, hoping virus does not load. Then run your virus program from the hard drive--if you have some Virus disks that run from floppy or CD, that is even better.

Pretty unlikely you would be able to complete any online scan.

You might try post your test in the Pit Virus section and see what ideas people have about running from HDD or disks....

If all else fails, I see your Windows install is 2002--might be time to format and start over if you have XP disks and you can backup your data to CD.

:)

Edited by flyfishingrules2

Well, some searches show that winlogin.exe is necessary:

http://209.68.25.184/taskmanager/process/winlogon.exe.html

Others say it is a virus :shrug:

If you could run a Pit test, maybe you could run an online one. I recommend Panda:

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/acti...n_principal.htm

It is also possible that a HiJackThis Scan could help too. Virus Forum.

One other thought if you have XP disk: you could run a scannow command to replace crucial XP files--might work. Pick Start, Run (type in box Command or cmd). At prompt, I believe the command is sfc /scannow (space after first c) It might or might not ask for XP disk, usually it does.

Ok thanks for the tips. I would have used the recovery CD a long time ago but my sister doesn't value saving important disks so i can't use that option. Ill try a panda scan... i tried before but the pc wouldn't stay on long enough but it has stayed on all tonight which is a record. I tried booting norton before start up but it didn't find any viruses... something didn't work there and other programs won't install i.e. Ewido or Spybot.

i did the panda scan...

Incident Status Location

Adware:Adware/Gator No disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\GStartup.lnk

Adware:Adware/Gator No disinfected C:\Documents and Settings\Lindsay Pitcher\Local

Settings\Temp\fsg_tmp\ginst_001_1234_4201.exe

Adware:Adware/Gator No disinfected C:\Program Files\DivX2\DivX Pro Codec\gain_trickler_3202.exe

Adware:Adware/BrilliantDigitalNo disinfected C:\Program Files\Kazaa\bdcore.dll

Adware:Adware/TopSearch No disinfected C:\Program Files\Kazaa\TopSearch.dll

Adware:Adware/Medload No disinfected C:\Program Files\MediaLoads\v1\ML.exe

Adware:Adware/Yahoo No disinfected C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\ycomp5_0_2_7.dll

Adware:Adware/P2PNetworking No disinfected C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\WebP2PInstaller.dll

Adware:Adware/NewDotNet.A No disinfected C:\WINDOWS\NDNuninstall4_50.exe

Spyware:Spyware/New.net No disinfected C:\WINDOWS\NDNuninstall4_80.exe

Spyware:Spyware/New.net No disinfected C:\WINDOWS\NDNuninstall4_88.exe

Virus:Trj/Downloader.DFM Disinfected C:\WINDOWS\system32\msCMTsrvc.exe

Adware:Adware/P2PNetworking No disinfected C:\WINDOWS\system32\P2P Networking\MARSHAL.DLL

Adware:Adware/P2PNetworking No disinfected C:\WINDOWS\system32\P2P Networking v125.cpl

Guest applisci

If you still have the problem go to Control panel and look at the power options and make sure there is nothing screwy in there. Sometimes the times for shutdown can be set to 5 minutes or something.

Also just for fun run virus scan and adware/malware scan. I like to use Xoftspy for scanning. It is a really good tool. You could try it just for kicks.

Also check your battery if it is a laptop. A lot of batteries have a little button of some sorts you can push and get a status of how well it is charged.

There is a video too that helped me work on PCs. I am not sure if it would help but here is the link to it. It is called :Computer Help (affiliate link removed)

I will do some research too in case you cannot figure it out. If you do let me know I would be interested in finding out what caused that.

Applisci

edit: affilate links removed, please don't advertise here, radio

Edited by radio

i went to power options and under UPS it says it UPS service is turned off. I'm guesing this is for laptops (not me) but on my other pc it doesn't have a model or manufacturer under details and the messed up computer does. It says the manufacturer is American Power Conversion. This is the only difference in power options.