Change Mode

Internet Sharing

As I've been reading on here for awhile, I've noticed that a lot of people seem to use broadband routers to share internet access. Personally, I use the built in sharing capability of win2k to share with my laptop and other desktop. I was just wondering if one of you guys who knows more than I do could explain to me the purchase of that potentially expensive piece of extra hardware as opposed to buying an extra nic and a hub. Are there advantages/disadvantages to either?

You have to keep the gateway machine always on for the other comps to have access to the internet. That's probably the main issue people take with using a separate hardware router.

explain to me the purchase of that potentially expensive piece of extra hardware as opposed to buying an extra nic and a hub. Are there advantages/disadvantages to either?

I only payed $29 for my router. There was a cheaper one, but it only had 2 ports, this one has 4.

I recommend a router, even if just for the benefits of NAT. My router stealths all my machines, unless I connect to you first, you're gonna have a hell of a time trying to get my PCs to respond to anything you could throw at it :)