Change Mode

PayPal Scam active at this time

Doug

Hi Pitsers,

I just got a very official looking email from "PayPal" indicating that my account may be "de-activated" because an attempted fraudulent action had been detected. The email prompted me to go to a PayPal site for further investigate and to "re-activate" my account.

I haven't used PayPal for over a year.

That's not to say that it couldn't be attacted or used fraudulently, but not by my hand or my mistake of buying from a fraudulent site.

Both the Email and the "PayPal" site had the exact familiar PayPal colors, layout, logos and similar wordings.

The only "telltale" was that the URL was not PayPal.

Here's the Text of the Email"

Dear PayPal Member,

This email was sent automatically by the PayPal server because your paypal account can be deactivated. We have detected a fraud complaints from the PayPal Members.We recently reviewed your account, and suspect that your PayPal account may have been accessed by an unauthorized third party. Protecting the security of your account and of the PayPal network is our primary concern.

Therefore, as a prevention measure, we have temporarely limited access to sensitive PayPal account features.

To reactivate and access your account, follow these steps:

1. Click on the link below. If nothing happens when you click on the link (or if you use AOL), copy and paste the link into the address bar of your web browser.

https://www.paypal.com/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx long random series

The link will take you to our Verify Your Identity page.

2. On the Verify Your Identity page, please fill the all fields in.

The Verification page had the familiar PayPal logon windows to sign in Username and Password.

I didn't.

This is a head's up!!! Somebody is trying to phish/scam via PayPal AND DOING A VERY PROFESSIONAL LOOKING JOB OF IT.

BEWARE!!

I wouldn't have even clicked on the link. I don't trust emails from anyone anymore, so I created a new one recently which only I use. If I start getting spammed on it, I'll delete the account and just create another one. :)

I'm not much of an expert, but couldn't you tell from who the sender was (ie. their email address, and subsequent email addresses in between)?

with regards

No Munch....

It was so dang realistic.

the URL was addressed to a https://www.paypal.com********* address that looked very legitimate even though I train myself to be skeptical.

Only when I arrived at the Spoof page and checked the actual URL that my browser had been directed to did I notice that I was in the Twilight Zone and nowhere near either Kansas or PayPal.

I'll post in this thread if PayPal spoof support responds to my report.

Best regards

Well, speak of the devil..... paypal just responded with their generic yadayadayada...

Dear Dougxxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting PayPal.

We appreciate you bringing this suspicious email to our attention. We

can confirm that the email you received was not sent to you by PayPal.

The website linked to this email is not a registered URL authorized or

used by PayPal. We are currently investigating this incident fully.

Please do not enter any personal or financial information into this

website.

If you have surrendered any personal or financial information to this

fraudulent website, you should immediately log into your PayPal Account

and change your password and secret question and answer information. Any

compromised financial information should be reported to the appropriate

parties.

If you notice any unauthorized activity associated with your PayPal

transaction history, please immediately report this to PayPal by

following the instructions below:

1. Log in to your account at https://www.paypal.com/ by entering

your email address and password into the Member Log In box

2. Click on Security Center at the bottom of the page

3. Click on the 'Unauthorized Transaction' link under the Report a

Problem column

4. Please follow the instructions in order to access the appropriate

form

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Sincerely,

PayPal Account Review Department

Edited by dough

No Munch....

It was so dang realistic.

the URL was addressed to a https://www.paypal.com********* address that looked very legitimate even though I train myself to be skeptical.

Only when I arrived at the Spoof page and checked the actual URL that my browser had been directed to did I notice that I was in the Twilight Zone and nowhere near either Kansas or PayPal.

I'll post in this thread if PayPal spoof support responds to my report.

Best regards

Haha, OK I'll take your word for it. :)

Good to hear ya got a quick reponse....I wonder how many complaints they get like that a day? It would be annoying to know that so many scammers are ripping off your company. :mrsgreen:

with regards

This is a head's up!!! Somebody is trying to phish/scam via PayPal AND DOING A VERY PROFESSIONAL LOOKING JOB OF IT.

Except for a few unprofessional mistakes:

1) We have detected a fraud complaints [bad grammar]

2) We have detected a fraud complaints from the PayPal Members.We recently [no space between sentences so poor typing skills]

3) Therefore, as a prevention measure, we have temporarely [spelling error]

:lol:

A reputable company wouldn't send out important letters, or any mass mailing, without running spellchecks and grammar/typing checks. That always raises a flag to me.

Right you are Muchado.

Except for a few unprofessional mistakes:

And without benefit of your skillful critique and the wise comments of other members replying above, many computer users could be taken in by such scams.

My purpose here was simply a reminder/alert that these scams exist, so that a confused user would have a better chance of not falling for it.

By the way, I strongly support PCPitstops presentation of "Safe Surfing" which is in my mind an excellent presentation and analysis of specific types of threats and ways to detect and avoid them.

Here's to "Safe Surfing" and to the valued members of the Forums who so often help others be successful and stay safe. :beer: :beer:

Best Regards

Dough,

Somehting like this happened to me the otehr day, only with my Wells Fargo Bank account. see my thread here

Wells Fargo recommended that I go ahead and CHANGE the log in and password ANYWAY.

I did, and so far no problems (keeping fingers crossed)

So I say the same to you. Change the login and PW jsut in case

I get the same thing from southwest bank and I don't even have an account there...in fact, there aren't even any of those banks in my area