Bent Pins

Guest buildabox

ok since I just moved and droped my pc, For some reason my heatsink came off pulling the cpu out and bending about 7 pins. Does anyone have any suggestions other than going really really slow :lol: ? Its a 3.4 ee

Use a mechanical pencil if you have one. Take the lead out and I think a .05mm one will just slide over the pin and then you can easily straighten them out without worrying about bending the pins around them. Just straighten them out enough to fit in the socket they don't have to be perfect. Good luck. :)

Be very careful! One slip and you have a very expensive coaster!

Technical pencil sounds like a good bet - 0.5mm probably indeed - but earth it before you start so you don't static shock the chip.

i used a thin screwdriver and a steak knife when it happened to me ( the reason i stopped useing AS-5 .... then had to clear CMOS for it to work properly ... that was 2 1/2 yrs ago and still going strong :beer:

When I got my Venice core it came with 4 bent pins :rolleyes:

I used a thin bladed knife to staighten them out

Make sure you get them straight enough you dont have to force it into the socket...otherwise you could be bending more pins

good luck and post back how it does :tup:

Guest buildabox

Well I do aprecaite the suggestions I did use the mechanical pencil. They all looked fine and as I went to put it in the new motherboard I went nice and gently and put the heatsink on all was well untill I turned the pc on. Nothing. Went back in and pulled it out and a pin was stuck in the mobo :mrsgreen: . It must have been loose already. Now gotta think of an excuse to send it back to newegg other than I dropped it and a pin broke! ughh! Boss is going to kill me if I have to order another(aka wife lol)

you dont need a super excuse to send it back to newegg, just tell them that the processor died and if your still covered under their rma poilcy, theyll have you a new one about 3 days after they get your old one.

edit: but if you dropped your computer, you may want to check the video card to see if it's seated correctly still because if the heatsink fell off, it had to land on something :blink:

Edited by crossfire

you dont need a super excuse to send it back to newegg, just tell them that the processor died and if your still covered under their rma poilcy, theyll have you a new one about 3 days after they get your old one.

edit: but if you dropped your computer, you may want to check the video card to see if it's seated correctly still because if the heatsink fell off, it had to land on something :blink:

Nice catch there crossfire. :beer:
Guest buildabox

No Luckily the heatsink/fan was stoped by its short wire! And It's past its RMA date but It was retail So I contacted Intel just waiting for a response

Well I do aprecaite the suggestions I did use the mechanical pencil. They all looked fine and as I went to put it in the new motherboard I went nice and gently and put the heatsink on all was well untill I turned the pc on. Nothing. Went back in and pulled it out and a pin was stuck in the mobo :mrsgreen: . It must have been loose already. Now gotta think of an excuse to send it back to newegg other than I dropped it and a pin broke! ughh! Boss is going to kill me if I have to order another(aka wife lol)

That's an easy one, leave your computer on the edge of the desk so when she walks by it falls...then you can blame her and justify buying a new processor.

* Disclaimer, I don't actually recommend you try this.

Guest buildabox

yes it was a gigabyte Blower and for some reason the cpu came out with the heatsink and fan and it was hanging upside down just hanging by it's mobo connector. But lickily I can return it thanks to Intel. Just hope they dont happen to see the missing pin, made sure all others are straight.

i would try another cpu first i think before returning that one.. i have heard of cpus running with broke pins just fine(someone here ran one with like 2 or 3 broke pins i think).. the force of the fall may have damaged something else in the computer. might as well check it to see if you might need to replace anything else.

i would try another cpu first i think before returning that one.. i have heard of cpus running with broke pins just fine(someone here ran one with like 2 or 3 broke pins i think).. the force of the fall may have damaged something else in the computer. might as well check it to see if you might need to replace anything else.

yea, thunder did