Change Mode

Microsoft anti-spyware.....

Hey guys, i've seen in some of the posts pple here recommending microsoft anti-spyware program...how good is it actually? Does it slow your pc down and use alot of resources? Can it be trusted as much as ad-ware se or spybot? Any reports of crashes? Does it get along well with other programs like the ones i currently run:

ad-aware se, spybot, spyware doctor, spyware blaster, edwido security.....??

What about firewalls, if i get a firewall do you know if it well get along with it?

Microsoft's Anti-Spyware Beta program is very usefull. I use a few other anti-spyware proggies (including the ones you mentioned) and there has been no software clashes. :)

Can it be trusted as much as ad-ware se or spybot?

If by that you mean, "is it a legit anti-spyware proggie?" then yes, it is. If you're asking that question as a comparison of MSASB to Ad-Aware and Spybot, then I can't give you the answer to that. All anti-spyware programs detect different things, nothing picks up everything. So you're best bet is to use several different ones to add extra 'layers' of protection.

But it's real-time protection agents (usually only take up about 10MB of memory) are darn usefull, and they've saved me a few times. ;)

Why not just get a hardware firewall? Aka, a router? No performance hit that way 

That's all good and well for somebody who doesn't mind spending a hundred bucks (if you don't mind - go ahead and do it!) but if you're looking for something free I'd try either:

Sygate or

ZoneAlarm

I use Sygate at the moment, but others seem to prefer ZoneAlarm - but I've had some issues with it in the past, so I'm happy sticking to Sygate. :)

with regards

If it's a firewall issue there are settings within the software of firewalls where you add it to your auto programs list.

So that every time you use it or need an update it's permitted

I have also considered MS Anti-Spyware.

The beta is free, but it only works for a certain number of months and days?

And after that, the final product will cost money?

I doubt I'll try it if this is true.

And it uses 10 MB of RAM while running? Thanks but I hope my current protection will do.

;)

I don't think it will cost money. If it did, I doubt most of the users who use this product won't buy it. It's a trial bases-so the expiration will be on December 31st.

I think what is happening is MS is bringing in a system whereby if you DO NOT have a legit copy of WinXP, you cannot use any of it's products (ie. downloading wmp or msasb from their site won't work, because you have to scan first to check legitimacy). This is also being enforced upon windows updates in the nearby future as well. :help:

with regards

Just like SP1 and SP2. I heard about people that could not install it.

Actually, I thought at the moment you're supposed to run the scan, but it's not compulsory (you can work your way around it :P). Well at least I did. ;)

I could be wrong though. :huh:

with regards

I tried M$ Anti Spyware not too long ago, under the mistaken impression that I would be able to control when it runs. I installed it, updated it, ran it, then went about looking for the setting(s) to shut the damned thing off. Well, after alot of searching I finally found where you could supposedly disable it, and I thought Ah ha! But no such luck. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it out of my system tray.

I wanted an application that I could bring up as I felt I needed it (when I might be headed to the seedier side of the internet :shifty: , or whatever), I wanted to be able to decide whether or not it ran. I finally uninstalled it in disgust because I don't need something like that running in the background all the time. The only things I ever pick up on an average day online are tracking cookies (or data miners as Ad-aware calls them), which are cleaned up regularly anyway.

I finally settled on Spy Sweeper. It does everything I want it to do, AND whenever I want it to. It doesn't make it darned near impossible to shut it down, it doesn't leave bits of itself running in the background (I set the Service, a new addition, to Manual so it only starts when I start Spy Sweeper). I couldn't be happier with it.

So, if you want an application that runs in the background whether you want it to or not, then M$ AntiSpyware is for you. I'll stick with SpywareBlaster, Spybot's Immunization, and my Antivirus unless I need something a little stronger, then Spy Sweeper does just fine. At least I have the choice of running it if I need it. -kd5-

Thanks kd5, I am now sure that I'm happier without MS A-S.

:beer:

To each his own. :shrug::P

I installed spysweeper for a bit, but never really liked it that much. MSASB has found several times for me things that none of my other anti-spyware etc proggies could (I even scanned with spysweeper during that period with no results). And I aint talkin' cookies. ;)

Although I can't defend the choice of having it run "when you want", I don't particularly wanna shut it down. :)

with regards

Right click on the target icon next to the time and select shutdown anti-spyware.

It then closes.

I think he meant, when he opened up the program, then closed it again it didn't automatically shut down. Then it started again when he opened MSASB. I have no problem with it but I guess some people do. :shrug:

with regards

It's a matter of principle with me. Why did they have to make the application so that it's next to impossible to disable it from running at Startup. I don't have a problem with resources, I have what I consider to be a powerful computer, but I spend alot of time making sure that nothing runs at Startup that I don't want running at Startup. Right now the only thing I allow to run at Startup is my antivirus, and I could even disable that from running at Startup if I really wanted to. But you can't disable M$ AntiSpyware from running at Startup without crippling the software. It gives you the illusion that you can, but it doesn't work. So, from my perspective, any application that is as persistent and difficult as M$ AntiSpyware is to me doesn't deserve to occupy space on my hard drive. SpywareGuard is another one you can't disable from running at Startup without crippling the software. It didn't last long either.

All they need to do is make it so that you can readily choose whether or not you want it running at Startup, and I'll add it to my arsenal. That's all it takes. -kd5-

I have MS AntiSpyware (beta) on a laptop. Works greatt for me.

I have no problem shutting it off when I don't want it running in background.

The Icon in the Tray has an option for Shut Down MS AntiSpyware.

Works with one click. No Problem.

Regards

Yes, you can exit M$ Antispyware from the icon in the system tray, but what happens the next time you start your computer? It's right back there in your tray.

As I said, it's a matter of principle with me, and of personal choice. M$ AntiSpyware is a dandy utility, don't get me wrong. I have nothing against it but it just doesn't serve my purpose. I want something I can bring up when I need it, I don't want something that takes that choice away from me.

That is not to say however that it can't serve others' purposes just fine. -kd5-

I spend alot of time making sure that nothing runs at Startup that I don't want running at Startup

I hear ya kd5. I do the same. I do, however, let MSAS run. I think its always nice to be able to control how and when a program runs, but since I like this one so much, I made an exception.

...of course, I imagine it could be rendered unable to run at startup by using msconfig or a program such as winpatrol.

Edited by crookedwilly

kd5,

I disabled Spywareguard from autorun by using msconfig.

Isn't it possible with MSASB?

I haven't tried, although it's probably possible. But then again I wouldn't doubt this kd5 fella on this kinda stuff. :P

with regards

I haven't tried, although it's probably possible. But then again I wouldn't doubt this kd5 fella on this kinda stuff. :P

with regards

Actually, you have sufficient grounds to doubt this time around. All I did was download it, try to disable it via the settings within the software, couldn't get it tamed that way, decided it was a PITA and uninstalled it. Didn't even try msconfig, although if I'd have tried that I would most likely have deleted the entry using Advanced Mode, Tools, System Startup, within Spybot S&D. Don't like having disabled stuff in my Startup... :P -kd5-