Hey guys, I am going to upgrade my board in anticipation of my FX-55 that should be here Wednesday.

I would like to get a new graphics card as well. I am stepping away from the AGP platform.

Anyway, any recommendations for a good nforce4 ultra SLI board? I'd like to stay away from MSI as much as possible. Thanks!

I have a question about power supplies...

I read that some of the newer boards and power supplies have 24pin + 4pin psu connectors, instead of 20pins + 4 pins. However, they don't provide that information with their specs...how am I supposed to know if the psu I'm getting has 24 + 4 pins or 20 + 4 pins ( besides the pictures, if they are provided)? Also, would a power supply with 1 20pin connector + 1 4pin connector work in a board that has a 24pin connector + an additional 4 pin connector? I heard you could plug those 2 connectors into a board with 28pins and leave the other 4 unused, but that the system would take some sort of a stability hit when overclocking.

Edited by TorreyIsLDS

Ronnie, I don't know if the random reboots I've been getting as of late can or should be attributed to my power supply. It is an Antec TrueBlue 480, and rails are exceptional (according to easytune4). But maybe it's underpowered by today's standards? I'm not too well-informed with power supplies.

I don't have too much hardware running. Just the 64 3000 (soon to be FX-55), 1GB (2x512) GeIL Ultra DDR500, eVGA GeForce 6800, 2x120GB Western Digital SE's, 16X DVD+-R/W dual layer burner, 52x24x52 cd-r/w, floppy, samsung syncmaster 955DF 19", keyboard, monitor, printer, speakers, 2 exhaust 80mm fans...that's about it. That's not that much, is it?

anyway, thanks for the imminent help. :)

and this is the PSU I'm looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817103512

Edited by TorreyIsLDS

If it helps you out any I used an 20 pin to 24 pin adaptor on my SLI board for a week or two and ran it with a Antec True Blue 480Watt power supply. I didn't have any problems using it or coing it that I know of.

I have since bought a psu that has a 24 pin molex on it.

You have to look around and research, if a PSU doesn't mention it it might not have a native 24 pin plug. If they have it they usually say they do. I know any of the PSU's that say they are SLI certified have a 24 pin plug as well as the 6 pin plugs for graphic cards. :)

This is the PSU I bought for my SLI rig.

Thermaltake 680W

Edited by Web Police

First your current powersupply should have plenty of power for your current system. The random reboots could be a number of things from heat issues to memory timings or a flakey board.

That enermax should come standard with the 24 pin connector and is a good upgrade chose when you get the fx cpu and Sli board.

First your current powersupply should have plenty of power for your current system. The random reboots could be a number of things from heat issues to memory timings or a flakey board.

That enermax should come standard with the 24 pin connector and is a good upgrade chose when you get the fx cpu and Sli board.

temperatures are fine. I think it's the board. It has even more problems when I run raid, and problems with having ram running in dual channel. Games restart, computer locks up. I doubt it has anything to do with the ram. I've tried more than enough combinations of brands and sizes to single that out.

ahh, I've been having really bad luck with boards as of late. My first athlon 64 board, the msi k8n neo 2 platinum came doa. then this board hasn't been all that stable. My last stable board was the abit nf7s v2.0.

blegh.

well guys, I have just made some final purchases.

2 MSI GeForce 6800s for SLi (hopefully these pipelines will unlock) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814127179

EPoX EP-9NPA+ SLi

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813123246

and this little guy:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16812183045

:P

Gosh, I've never been this excited before. FX-55 arriving sometime this week too! :P

Torrey see if you can find a powersupply with a 24 pin connector. I bought the OCZ 600 watt and I know the PCP&C has a 510 SLI but there is an enermax with a 24 pin for quite a bit less than those two. It is somewhere in the $150.00 range. Especially if you are going with SLI you will need the power. I would also suggest ether the DFI SLI DR or the MSI board. Don't consider the Asus as it has many problems and not eough voltage options. I have also been reading about the Abit Fatility SLI but it's also a premium price board. There is a whole long thread on the abit board but I haven't had experience with it. I have had the DFI/ MSI/ and Asus.

Torrey see if you can find a powersupply with a 24 pin connector. I bought the OCZ 600 watt and I know the PCP&C has a 510 SLI but there is an enermax with a 24 pin for quite a bit less than those two. It is somewhere in the $150.00 range. Especially if you are going with SLI you will need the power. I would also suggest ether the DFI SLI DR or the MSI board. Don't consider the Asus as it has many problems and not eough voltage options. I have also been reading about the Abit Fatility SLI but it's also a premium price board. There is a whole long thread on the abit board but I haven't had experience with it. I have had the DFI/ MSI/ and Asus.

ok. Maybe I should spend more time doing this.

Shogan, I'm reconsidering the 2 6800s. It seems that 1 geforce 6800gt usually beats 2 6800s in SLi. Same goes for 1 Radeon X800XL. They seem to be really good performers, but I don't know if I want to get one because they don't support pixelshader 3.0 (not like I know what that is).

What is the specific board you used with your FX-55, shogan?

I am now thinking about getting this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814102543

What would be the point of getting a SLi board though if I were to get this? ahh. Why can't ATi and nVIDIA just make a standard, cross-compatible interface for their cards!!

edit: this card looks nice too: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814121192

Edited by TorreyIsLDS

I'm reconsidering the 2 6800s. It seems that 1 geforce 6800gt usually beats 2 6800s in SLi. Same goes for 1 Radeon X800XL

:blink:

i had 2 6600gts in SLi that were whooping the crap out of my 6800gt and x800pro..

2 6800s in SLi should beat almost any single card, i would think.. :erm:

I agree with crossfire, I still have 2 msi 6800 sho sold me and they perform better than the 6800ultra that I had before that. If you can wait I'm sure the new cards coming out soon will either drop prices of the 6800 and might also be another choice if your welling to pay the premium. :beer:

not sure if it matters, but you may want to look for a power supply with an active PFC :erm:  everything looks great tho.

i use this  in my SLI setup, it seems to do really well

what is a PFC?

edit: hmm, I just read up on it. I'll cancel that order.

Thanks crossfire for the caveat!

Edited by TorreyIsLDS

Thanks Shogan. I ended up getting the Chaintech AE6800, because it was clocked higher and has twice the memory. Now I just have to wait a little before I get my 2nd 6800. I decided to wait the 2nd one out. :)