• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you're right, Tracy. Thread had pretty much played itself out; reminded me of a nineteenth century boxing match: no gloves, go 60 rounds or so, beat each other bloody, and it winds up a draw....

A tip o' the hat to the fun-loving Brits and their droll ways!.

However, I'm off before sunset in Australia, when the AUSSIES come out to play!

EDIT: 19th century boxing stuff is from reading, not personal memory....

Edited by poru

Morning Matron :P

I'm off with the daughter to find a shop that sells traditional Scots outfits. She is attending a posh murder mystery dinner tonight and all the guests have to dress as characters from the storyline :rolleyes:

Why does she have to pick the Scots Laird :blink: Any ideas where I might find a ginger syrup and chest wig on a Saturday morning? :help:

Morning Matron  :P

I'm off with the daughter to find a shop that sells traditional Scots outfits. She is attending a posh murder mystery dinner tonight and all the guests have to dress as characters from the storyline  :rolleyes: 

Why does she have to pick the Scots Laird :blink:  Any ideas where I might find a ginger syrup and chest wig on a Saturday morning? :help:

:P

Hey, Sir T, my little Girl had to Dress up as a Medievel Nobleman for a Speech on the Medievel Nobles and a Parade after it!

Because she is a Stewart I suggested she dress up as a Scot!

We went shopping at the Second Clothing Shops run by Charity here, found her a Skirt with the Stewart Tartan, and some Shirts, I bought her new long black sox and a wide Black Belt, I had a vest suitable at home for her, Total Cost, $AU30.

As props for her Speech, I had a Tea Towel showing Scottish Castles and a real Stewart Family Crest, actually the Official Crest of Scotland!

She won the Prize for the Parade!

Did well with the Speech, thanks to some quick Training for one of her extended Aunties (Mate, the Aunt still has the accent even after 30 years in AussieLand!)

:mrgreen::mrgreen::rolleyes::lol:

Edited by Drovers Dog

i showed up a little late for this one, but i would like to state my opinion on the original subject here.

The confederate flag is a symbol of my past, and will always remain a symbol of my past. I have one flying in my backyard right now, and it will always fly there. Taking it down would be like kicking the tombstone off of my ancestors grave for being involved in that war.

I am an active member in the CSV , i have SCV licence plates displayed proudly on my cars

(for anyone who doesn't know what that is : )ncplate.jpg

It is my heritage, which is very similar to a marriage, for better or worse, I will not abandon it, regardless of anyone's opinions of it. I display my heritage very proudly, much as some people display pictures of their grandparents on the living room wall, because they are proud of them, even if the rest of the neighborhood disliked them.

Sure their may have been blood spilt over that flag, but that's history, either get over it, or invent a time machine and change it. Their was blood spilt to steal this very country from the native Americans, but no one is complaining over that, it is in the past, we got over it. The very cross that people go to church on Sundays to worship, is a sign of death, and betrayal, yet no one complains about it, they see it as a good thing.

The south is very much alive and kicking, don't ever think it has died or dissolved, the CSA may not be officially recognized by the USA , but we are still here except we are no longer openly fighting for the preservation of liberty and freedom, we have everything we need here already.

If anyone here doesn't know what the SCV is please research it, i promise that not one time will you find anything to do with hate crimes, or racism.

Is not getting into a flame war over my beliefs, no one here can change my mind, and I am not trying to change anyone else's mind I am merely stating my feeling on the south and the confederate flag. Thank You

http://www.scv.org/

scvlogo2.gif

Edited by crossfire

It is my heritage, which is very similar to a marriage, for better or worse, I will not abandon it, regardless of anyone's opinions of it. I display my heritage very proudly, much as some people display pictures of their grandparents on the living room wall, because they are proud of them, even if the rest of the neighborhood disliked them.

exactly. thats exactly what ive been trying to say. :tup:

I'm not American and maybe not qualified to post on this matter.

your as qualified as the next person Hurdy. this all boils down to opinions and perspective.

thats how you see my heritage. i see it different.

and above that i wish that the jerk losers who perverted that symbol into one of hate and ignorance had chosen something else.

Either ditch the flag or 'fess up.

either say what your insinuating or be quiet.

im not a racist. i dont hate much at all. i dont think slavery is good or justified.

fess up to what? ive said many times exactly how i feel about it.

Guest Hurdy

If you're happy to be associated with a regime that practised slavery,racism and oppression then you certainly have something to 'fess up to.

If you're of the opinion that you have nothing to 'fess up to then:- you are in favour of that regime.

Ergo: You are in favour of slavery, racism and oppression.

you know what they say about opinions.....

you can call me a racist if thats what makes you feel better, you dont know me, and I KNOW what is in my heart.

Ive said what I have to say on this subject. pick a fight with someone else.

i'm gonna 'tread' lightly here but have a question about what heritage implies....

if the confederate flag is considered heritage to someone born this, or even the past couple of, generations an' the flag is flown without associating slavery, etc. with the flag as symbolic then wouldn't the swastika be a part of a german's heritage as well n' folks should be able to walk around wearing armbands without anyone raising an eyebrow about their prejudices or ideology :huh:

i'm gonna 'tread' lightly here but have a question about what heritage implies....

if the confederate flag is considered heritage to someone born this, or even the past couple of, generations an' the flag is flown without associating slavery, etc. with the flag as symbolic then wouldn't the swastika be a part of a german's heritage as well n' folks should be able to walk around wearing armbands without anyone raising an eyebrow about their prejudices or ideology :huh:

Actually, the Swastika isn't a symbol of German heritage, just a symbol of Buddhism, Nazism, and a bunch other things.
Guest Hurdy

I think that was neo's point.

Good questions.

I wonder just what part of the CSA heritage people take such pride in. Could it be that the CSA attempted to destroy the USA? Could it be the promotion/institutionalization of slavery? The lack of respect for the rights of all mankind? Could it be the conscription of children and old men to fight and die in a war that was known to be lost?

Let's put the shoe on the other foot--Just what the hell was so good and admirable about the Confederacy? Why is the Confederate cause romanticized so?

how come nobody answered this? :blank:

i was truly waiting for an answer before the thread got hijacked...

Actually, the Swastika isn't a symbol of German heritage, just a symbol of Buddhism, Nazism, and a bunch other things.

it sure is in the same way as folks claim the confederate flag as heritage....

I think that was neo's point.

suppose i could have read thru the whole thread before postin'