Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark12

2 Questions

OK, I have 2 questions so I decided to post them together o save space :P .

1.) Wut is a low lvl format? is that just F Disk? Cuz thats all i have ever used, should I do a low lvl format next time? I have been having problems with my PC and Ive formatted 3 times with 3 different OS's and I still have it. No one here seems to know the problem so I just decided to live with it :blank: . If wanna know it just reply and Ill tell ya.

2.) How much more does Norton slow down my system than AVG? Would I even notice a difference with my specs? (See sig.)

THANK YOU!!! :mrgreen:

Hey there, Dark 12, Go to your Hard drive manufacturer's web site and down load their disk utility. Maxtor's, I believe is called Max-Blast, and I think WD's is Dr. DOS. Open it and save it to a floppy. There are quite a few disk checking utilities there. One of which is a Low Level Formatting tool. This will write 0's to the disk and check it for bad sectors, etc. What you are left with is a clean slate, just like when you bought a new hard drive. With me, doing a clean install, LLF is standard proceedure. :)

Norton, by itself is a good AV, BUT all the "goodies" that come with it are what slows computers down, due to the amount of resources required to run. I ran McAffee without any trouble for too long, it wasn't until I uninstalled it and gave AVG a try that I realized just how much faster my little Compaq actually was. If you're gonna do a LLF, give AVG a try as well, you'll be pleasantly surprized. :mrgreen:

Thx for the very imformative reply. And if I do LLF will I have to do a normal format again? To make it non all zeros? And do you think it would fix a problem that I have been having with 3 different OS's and 3 different formats?

PS- ITS MY 200th POST, WOOHOO!!! I'd like to thank everyone out there who answered my questions. I'd like to thank Google for giving me this site. My parents for helping me buy this computer. Thank you god fo giving me the courage to get this far. :lol:

PPS- Only 16800 posts to cath up to volt. hehehe

Yes :) You need to give the OS a format to work from whether it be Fat32 or NTFS. And Yes :) Those past problems should leave you alone.

Congrats on your 200th! :P

you are going to have to llf..partition...format...install OS.

and get rid of Norton :P

LOL, i dont understand though. Will I still have DOS if i do a LLF?

When you say if want DOS do you mean I dont have to use DOS?

You will be making a bootable disk with Max Blast. Once you have the files copied to the floppy, reset your BIOS to boot from floppy 1st and Max Blast will load up for you. :)

Ya, but after I do that, how do I format, cuz when everything is zeros it wont have DOS.

Change the boot in the BIOS to boot from CD rom, boot from your 2000 disk and format from there. Or if you prefer, use a 98 boot disk and format to FAT 32. With the 2000 disk, you'll have the choice of formats, Fat32 or NTFS. ;)

you won't have a partition...you will be starting from the beginning...no hidden files the FBI can get to :P ...no remnants of viruses :angry: ...hopefully it will fix any disk errors if you have one :mrgreen: ....

After you do it, fdisk and make a partition or use the app. that comes with the ffl utilities if it has one...

Thx alot guys, Ill be sure to print this up!