Sign in to follow this  
darkeyes

My HJT Log

Hi Dave,

I downloaded and ran Everest to identify sound card. It said....Your Sound Card does not support hardware buffering...Sounds will only play back from software buffers. I'm not sure what that means? There were no links for me to follow. I went to www.pcdrivers.com/sound4.htm and downloaded this.

#76. Creative Sound Blaster PCI 64

Last updated

99-07-16 (Win95/98) / 98-12-23 (WinNT4)

Version

Rev. 3 / Rev. 4

File Name

e64w9xup.exe / e64nt4u.exe

File Size

0.8 M / 0.4 M

Description

Sound Blaster PCI64 Win95/98 Drivers Update [E64-95DRV-1-US]

Here is the latest Sound Blaster PCI64 update for Windows 95/98 which includes: Latest drivers (v4.05) / Sound Blaster PCI64 Mixer / Creative Configurator

Sound Blaster PCI64 Update for x86 Windows NT 4.0 [E64-NTDRV-1-US]

Latest Windows NT 4.0 (English language) update for the SB PCI64 (ES1370 card)

Download

e64w9xup.exe (for Win95/98) / e64nt4u.exe (for WinNT4)

Homepage

http://www.creative.com/support/files/download.asp

I don't even know if this is what I needed. After downloading I went to My Computer to check the System Devices and tried to install the new driver. I received an error message....An error occured while Windows was working with the control panel file..c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.cpl. So this is not working and my Device still shows the yellow question mark.

As for my printer, no it does not print a correct test page. The Windows icon is outlined in black and the windows colors are blue.

I went to Canon USA to download a driver, but that did not change anything. The test page still prints as above. Also still being disconnected from the internet when I try to print while online.

I am getting some Internet Explorer error pop ups again (the send don't send report ones) and a few Illegal Operations. I did do a repair Internet Explorer by pasting the command you gave me.

What should I try to do next? Again I thank you very much for your help.

Carline

I think you'll find your drivers here;

http://www.esstech.com/techsupp/drivers.shtm

listed under PCI AudioDrive (check device manager to make sure you don't have the Audio/Modem combo first! Those drivers are farther down the page.). Get the drivers for both the Allegro 1988 and 1989 for 98SE. Extract one to a folder, open and run setup.exe. Follow any instructions if given.

Reboot and see if the exclamation point is gone. If not, right click and remove the ESS AllegroX MPU-401 Compatible from device manager and reboot. It should re-install with the new drivers. If still present, or your sound doesn't work right, try the second file.

When you get an IE error, there should be a 'details' button or similar that will show some sort of error information. Try to get that and let me know what it is, eg; illegal function in mshtml.dll or similar, maybe a random string of numbers that don't seem to mean much, stop code.

I've got a feeling your printer may have gone south. Can you possible borrow another to try or try yours on another computer? I wouldn't think that the ink would be a problem, but have you pulled the cartridges and cleaned the heads with a soft, lint free cloth? Try new cartridges?

Dave,

I downloaded the Allegro 1988 and it did the trick....no more yellow ? mark.

On the IE errors here are a few of what is in the report,

Module 1......IEPEERS.DLL

"" "" "" 2.......JSCRIPT.DLL

3.......IMN32.DLL

4.......MSHTML.DLL

5.......SENSAPI.DLL

Are these what you are looking for? There are many more about 60 or more...can't copy to paste here, would have to type each one out.

I had to use Fire Fox to get back here as IE kept giving me the IE error pop up box each time IE restarted. So whats up with these errors again?

Thank you again,

Carline

Dave,

Would like to mention also that I got a pop up from Spyware Guard....

Run-Time error

2147417848 (80010108)

and also another Illegal Operation

Sgmain

Carline

Do a search of your drive for the file ie6setup.exe

If you don't have it, download it here.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/ie6.html

Close IE and open Add/Remove programs, then uninstall Internet Explorer. Reboot and run the ie6setup.exe

Reboot again and see if IE works. If so, go to Windows Update and install any available critical updates and service packs.

I am not finding Internet Explorer in my add/remove programs. Only reference to IE is

Microsoft IE SP1 + Internet Tools

Internet Explorer Q883939

Where else can I find it to delete?

Thank you

Carline

Make sure you have the ie6setup.exe before starting. Copy and paste the same command used for the repair, but this time choose to restore to previous installation. Reboot when done and then run the ie6setup.exe file. You will need to visit Windows Update to finish updating it with patches.

Just had another thought though. If you use it, it might be a good idea to backup any Outlook Express dbx and wab files before removing IE6, because it gets rolled back also. Just do a file search for *.dbx and *.wab, then copy them to a safe location. After re-installing/updating, copy them back to the original location(s), overwriting the ones there if prompted.

Dave,

I am having all kinds of troubles!

Computer had to be rebooted several times. I keep getting Illegal Operations error boxes popping up

Cpqeadm

Aim

Sgmain

Smc

Explorer

While windows was trying to load got Fatal Exception occured at 0028:c0005338 in VXD VMM (01) + 00004338....hit any key to continue causes computer to freeze up.

Did get ie6setup loaded, but can't get IE to stay funtioning so I can copy and paste that repair link you gave me for Internet Explorer. Can I paste in to the FireFox browser to do the IE repair? I tried that once and said url was not valid or something like that? Please tell me what else to do.

Carline

You need to click Start>run and paste that command into the run dialog box, then hit enter. ;)

Dave,

Ok, I tried it again...copied and pasted, then chose to restore to the previous, the computer rebooted then I got this

CAPI Install Failed

The rsabase.dll that is being installed doesn't match the signature file or the value in the registry..

I tried Internet Explorer again and am getting that same error report box, (send/don't send).

Do I go ahead and double click the IE6setup.exe that I downloaded earlier? Thank you.

Carline

Open IE and click Help, then About Internet Explorer. What version number is shown? If version 4 or 5, close and run the ie6setup.exe, reboot and go to Windows Update.

If still having problems, please let me know all details of an individual error.

Dave,

The version running is 5.0. I closed and ran the IE6setup.exe. I could not use my dial up to get back on, it's coming back with "invalid username or password". Ok, so I use Netzero to get on, fine i get on, but netzero also uses IE so now the IE error box (send/don't send) keeps popping up and I can't do anything. Finally after several times I can get on IE and get to windows updates. That comes back with an error message stating software update incomplete. There is a link there to fix if you cannot get updates...so I follow the link and do as windows says, which says to delete temperary internet files, reboot then delete files from windows update folder, clk the V4 folder, clk Edit..clk invert selection then press delete. Then double clk the V4 Folder, clk the Iuhist.xml File, clk Edit, clk Invert Selection then press delete. Next to do...remove Windows Update ActiveX Controls...clk start find files named iuctl.dll and Iuengine.dll, delete all copies of these files, then visit Windows Update to install new copies of the ActiveX Controls. Ok so now I go back to Windows Update and I am getting an error message that says I need to be running Windows version 4.0 or betterto get the updates and then I get the IE error box again and now I can't run IE again. I am here using Netzero with FireFox. Also Illegal Operations at boot up ...cpqeadm.

Carline

Dave,

Got to Windows update again and ran updates, half way done and get Error box again...keep trying and finally got 5 critical updates but message comes back that they downloaded but failed. Same problem trying to get update on windows drivers. Drivers to not get downloaded.

Carline

Dave,

I went back to Windows Update and looked at my Installlation History and found that the files I downloaded the other day that said Downloaded but failed are already in my system...they show up in my ADD/REMOVE. So I guess that is ok now. Still getting the IE Error Report box (Send/Don't Send) so still not able to use IE. So i don't know what else to do. Thank you.

Carline

Hi Dave,

Family gatherings this weekend....I will not have the time to run IE till Tues or Wed. Will get back with you then. Thank you again!

Carline

Hi Dave,

If this is not the info you need from me, can you please explain in more detail what you want me to give you. I may not be understanding what it is you want me to report back to you.

When the IE error report box came up this is what is on the front of the box:

Error Signature

AppName: iexplore.exe

AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106

ModVer: 2.40.4518.0

Offset: 006ac21

Mod Name: oleaut 32.dll

Excrption Info

Code: Oxc0000005

Flags:Ox00000000

Record: Ox0000000000000000

Address: Ox00000000653aac21

System Information

Windows, Minor Version: 10 Build 67766446

CPU Vendor Code: 84803094-30024680-00000001

CPU Version: 0000058c

CPU Feature Code: 008021BF

CPU AmD Feature Code: 00E9E834

Thank you,

Carline

Let's try registering Internet Explorer's DLL files. Go to Start->Run and type in the following command and click OK. Make sure to leave a space between regsvr32 and the filename.

regsvr32 Urlmon.dll

When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.

Then do each of the following.

regsvr32 Shell32.dll

regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll

regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll

regsvr32 Mshtml.dll

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll

Reboot.

Let me know what happens.

Dave,

All the above succeeded except for....received this message box,

Shell32.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found. DllRegisterServer may not be exported, or a corrupt version of Shell32.dll may be in memory. Consider using PView to detect and remove it. Thank you.

Carline

That error on shell32.dll was an error on my part. Try the following instead.

regsvr32 shdoc401.dll

Reboot.

Any change in IE yet?

Hi Dave,

Ok I ran the regsvr32 shdoc401.dll and got the succeeded message. I rebotted and browsed with IE for more than an hour and then got the IE error report (send/don't send) box. I clicked on don't send and IE restarted itself and now have been browsing for a good hour waiting to see if the same error box comes up. So far it has not. Do you think it might be ok now or should something else be checked to make sure? Thanks so much again Dave.

Carline

Dave,

This evening I was browsing on one of my favorite sites and started getting the IE error box again. It happened 4 times in a row so I just shut down IE and went to Firefox. I thought things were cleared up, but I guess not. Will wait to hear from you. Thank you again

Carline

Sign in to follow this