Sign in to follow this  
Dark12

.scr Virus?

I am so confused, how can a screen saver file ina PC?!?! isnt that what a .scr file is? I dunno how its even possible!

Virus are becoming invincible these days. Some screensavers you download off of the net may or may noy contain viruses in them. I think the virus creator made the virus and dragged it over to the .scr file.

:nospys:

Wut do u mean he dragged it over the screen saver file? Then couldn't you do that with any kind of file?!??!

When I say that I mean left click, hold it down, drag it to the .scr file, and then release. I'm giving a guess for it because I've seen it before.

when I do that it doesnt do anything... So wut yer saying is I could infect a Word file, or an mp3?!?! that is not possible!

hehe good one volt :P

But the thing is, I posted a while back if MP3's could be infected, everyone said no =/.

If the extention is right,, ok.

but with 99.99% of the windows files you can get hurt real fast.

screensavers are executable files (*.exe files) with their extensions changed to *.src so the screensaver themselves could be viruses. no dragging anything or anything like that. an mp3 can be a container for a virus through the id tags. windows xp and winamp for versions 2.9 and 3 released patches for that as it only seems to this moment pertain only to windows xp and winamp versions 2.9 and higher.

Thats why its best to have "Hide Extensions For Known File Types" Unchecked in Windows Explorer as that way you can tell if the actual .exe or whatever file type your opening is that actual file type and nothing else (if that makes sense....lol)

Keith

Edited by doofus

Yea doofus, thats wut i was gonna say. Cuz I think it was Funlove that exploited that. It made the file name something like this.

LOVELETTER.VBS.TXT

And then Windows would show it was a text file, unless you had that disabled. :(:angry: