Why, when I click a smiley, does nothing happen? Is it related to the fact that I can't run a pit test because of activeX probs?

I followed the tips for fixing activeX in security settings, but still no luck :(

Help

I saw your HJT log.... :mrsgreen:

I wouldn't put much effort into the smilies until you get that mess cleaned up.

Where you been with that thing?? :bad:

Oh good!! :mrgreen:

Yeah, I think you're right about the javascript deal. Have you tried resetting all your IE stuff to default?

And you can't run a Pit test? It won't start, or it won't complete? Do your smilies work at any site or is this the only problem child?

All IE stuff re-set to default.

Pit test won't start. Takes me to the activeX problem solver page.

Will try smilies on another site now.

Edit: smilies aren't working anywhere. :(

Edited by Sir T Fireball

Are you getting the little boxes with a small red x where the smiley is supposed to be, and is there any sign of trouble with any other images?

Just tried to run the test again and it said 'Scripting is not enabled'.

Does this mean an activeX or Java problem?

I also ran AVG and killed a couple of trojans, plus adaware to kill 70 nasties.

not your puter, huh :rolleyes::P

anywhoooo, took a look at your HJT log to see if ya had Norton running as that program has a scripting service within it n' sure 'nuff - that may be your problem....

O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Unknown owner - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe (file missing)

go into Services n' disable the one i quoted n' then see if smilies work....plus, you really should reinstall Nortons cuz of the missing file....

go to Internet Options > Advanced tab n' make sure 'disable script debugging' is checked n' that 'display a notification about every error' is unchecked....

any of that help :huh:

also, is your Nortons running at the same time as AVG :huh:

there should be restore disks with the preloaded programs on them n' one of 'em should have Norton on it. hold off getting rid of norton until you find out cuz add/remove n' then manual deletion doesn't always work so well....

did the smilies come back :huh:

if not, might be a few other things to try

okies...am sending him back to the store to have it re-set to factory default. Then I will make sure he has a firewall installed (don't believe he had one before) and a good av.

Still very concerned about the comments re: his HJT log.....has he been visiting naughty places?

has he been visiting naughty places?

there's nasties n' such that can go bye-bye listed in that HJT log but i'm not an advisor so can't comment :erm:

gonna back up whatever this guy wants saved :huh: