Sign in to follow this  
radio

Unix Code Copied Into Linux?

This is a very interesting read. If it's true, do you think Linux will be able to continue as things are now?

"We're finding...cases where there is line-by-line code in the Linux kernel that is matching up to our UnixWare code," McBride said in an interview. In addition, he said, "We're finding code that looks likes it's been obfuscated to make it look like it wasn't UnixWare code--but it was."

McBride refused to detail which specific code had been copied but said there were several instances--"some of them go back several years, and others are recent"--and said the copying was "not minor." SCO, however, won't publish what it's found.

http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-999371.htm...rt=dht&tag=ntop

I hope this isn't true, but if it is, Linux's growth will be seriously stunted. :angry: I wonder what dummy had to go and copy code.

Well if it's true then they should just step up to the plate and say which lines they are. Linux is opensource so everyone can look at the code, there are no secrets in it. If SCO's claims are ture, all they have to do is say look it's right there. :rolleyes:

Well if it's true then they should just step up to the plate and say which lines they are. Linux is opensource so everyone can look at the code, there are no secrets in it. If SCO's claims are ture, all they have to do is say look it's right there. :rolleyes:

I was going to ask about that bruce, since linux is open source and all. Isn't unix? I mean, I know linux is unix, but I don't know which distro is copying the lines in this instance. What would happen?

I think they mean that the basic linux structure that all the distros use copies the code.

here's my take on this. this lawsuit has nothing to do with SCO and unix rights. the real gist of it is that SCO and IBM are competing at some tech aimed at big businesses. IBM was successful at wooing some of SCO's clients over to IBM. pure and simple. whether IBM did anything illegal in getting SCO's custormers is up to the courts. this is where this unix thing and $1 billion lawsuit comes in. SCO is seriously :filtered: at IBM for taking it's customers. if SCO can win, this would be butter for SCO since it holds some kind of rights to unix. i'm not sure if it's all of unix or a particular flavor of unix. SCO is in financial doo-doo and the licensing from unix would be a big boost to SCO financially, according to SCO. they're planning to use a unix timeline according to SCO which i doubt will fly since history is way too subjective and SCO's version they're going to present in court will hit hard by IBM. anyway, as far as code in linux changed so that it doesn't look like unix goes, i think the courts already ruled on that when apple sued microsoft over windows.

Edited by megaspaz

I think they mean that the basic linux structure that all the distros use copies the code.

well she-ite! everyone uses the same basic structures. i mean how many different ways can you write a :filtered:' infinite loop?

//basic server service structure for daemon
while (1)
{
    //do stuff

if (something)
    {
         //exit server service
         break;
    }
}

exit (0);

Hey, cool out, I'm not the :filtered: trying to sue a free program. I'm just saying I think that's what the guy meant.

Hey, cool out, I'm not the :filtered: trying to sue a free program. I'm just saying I think that's what the guy meant.

no, you miss interpret me. i was really making a comment about SCO and if that was the basis for their case, then sheesh, you know? it had nothing to do with what you posted directly. i quoted your comment for background only.

O alrighty then. :) It's all good.

Hey, what is Unix primarily used for anyway? Seems like a pretty unpopular operating system - well, at least I never hear about it.

Hey, what is Unix primarily used for anyway? Seems like a pretty unpopular operating system - well, at least I never hear about it.

depends. it's pretty popular in universities, labs, and used as servers and stuff. it's not real popular in terms of home use cause it is complicated for the average user.

well linux is based off of unix but supposably is differing slightly here and there. Unix i know is damn cool and does the stuff that spaz said. Not for the home user though.

Linux was created as an alternative to UNIX in 1991, around the time AT&T was fighting legal battles with the BSD-unix people. Linux was supposed to be different enough from unix that they wouldn't have similar issues. Linux isn't unix, but the feel is very similar. This is basically why it's an issue that there is supposedly some vintage UNIX (capitalised "unix") code in the kernel, if SCO's claims are true.

Linux was created as an alternative to UNIX in 1991, around the time AT&T was fighting legal battles with the BSD-unix people.

I was pretty young in 91, mind filling me in on the details of the legal battle? :mrgreen:

I was pretty young in 91, mind filling me in on the details of the legal battle? :mrgreen:

Well, basically, the BSD people had essentially been permitted to use UNIX source in their kernel, but when BSD became a force to be reckoned with (basically a system that would do (basically for free) what AT&T's expensive UNIX did). That's what the legal battles ended up being about - AT&T trying to force the BSD people to take all UNIX code out. That stymied BSD development and kinda gave linux a good start cos people weren't sure if the BSD stuff would survive. Obviously it did, but the Linux community has grown very large and powerful, though BSD operating systems are becoming a bit more popular lately than they've been.

off topic, but in reply to stasi, linux is unix.

No, Linux is not Unix.

Read here

Edited by Stasi

SCO site was attacked w/ DDoS the other day...

SCO's Internet service provider, ViaWest, told SCO that about 100 high-speed T1 data-transmission lines of network capacity--about 90 percent of its total bandwidth--was being consumed in the attack. "It was a large, extremely well-orchestrated DDoS attack," ViaWest told SCO.

http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-999584.html

looks like someone :filtered: off some seriously motivated people.

SCO is drowning, and just grabbing at straws hoping to get some cash, from the lawsuit cashcow. I don't think they will be very succesfull.

Besides, SCO sold a disrobution of linux, and if they owned any proprietary code, that was in linux, the minute they started selling a distro, they themselves made that code opensource. If any lawyer can't see that for how simple it is, then they need to go back to lawschool.

The guys over at SCO are :censored: idiots. Nuff said.

yeah, i agree with bruce. SCO isn't making any headway with it's linux or unix distrobution and needs cash. I've been reading that this might be a play for them so someone will buy out their troubled business. anyway, in case you all missed this tid bit about sco.

http://www.sco.com/scosource/letter_to_lin..._customers.html

This story just keeps getting stranger and stranger :huh::shifty:

In the last several days, a drama has been playing somewhat in the courts, but mainly in the press.  On the stage are three players -- SCO Group, IBM, and Microsoft.  In the audience are all the vendors and users of the Linux operating system.  

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20030522.html

Microsoft is playing the spoiler here, trying to sow fear, uncertainty, and doubt in the community of Linux vendors and users.  Microsoft can't beat Linux on price, they can't beat Linux on quality, they generally don't even beat Linux on support, so the cheapest way to compete is to be sneaky.

I have already read a few articles confirming that MS money is involved. They are indeed looking for ways to hurt linux. This won't help them, but like every other ill concieved effort they put forth, it will come back to haunt them, and bite em in the butt. :woot:

MS recently gave miilions in licencing fees to SCO, whether they are covering their own butt, or back door financing SCO, it all washes out the same way. MS is pumping money into SCO, just happens to coincide with the SCO lawsuit against IBM.

IBM, and linux are currently the biggest threats to MS.