Test Your Security Software

I ran the anti-virus test with PCCillin. It wouldn't even let me DOWNLOAD the first file, and it picked up all 3 others and quarantined them. :)

I disabled PCCillin, then ran a scan with Avast! It picked up all four as well.

with regards

Edited by Champion_Munch

That's brilliant! but not unexpected.

Sygate firewall has always been regarded favorably by PCWorld.com, just as much as ZoneAlarm. I personally perfer ZoneAlarm. But, should problems strike, I'd switch to Sygate.

That's brilliant! but not unexpected.

Sygate firewall has always been regarded favorably by PCWorld.com, just as much as ZoneAlarm. I personally perfer ZoneAlarm. But, should problems strike, I'd switch to Sygate.

I'm wondering what the SP2 firewall would get....:P

I think I might try out sygate tonight. :)

with regards

I still prefer ZoneAlarm :P

Although Sygate is mentioned with honor in articles on security, ZoneAlarm is always "the top choice among free firewalls". I personally think it is.

PCMag.com once said ZoneAlarm sets a standard others must match. It stealth all computer ports to the very last one.

Sygate would be my second choice, should ZoneAlarm muck up.

I'm not savvy enough to know what to do.

Looks like a lot of goobly-:filtered: to me.

It would have been easier to just have a "click here to test" button and then run the tests and show results.

Guess I'll never learn!!!!! :unsure:

I'm not savvy enough to know what to do.

Looks like a lot of goobly-:filtered: to me.

It would have been easier to just have a "click here to test" button and then run the tests and show results.

Guess I'll never learn!!!!! :unsure:

I wouldn't be too intimidated by the antivirus test. As long as you have a reputable AV program installed (a good free one is AVG) and common sense is applied to surfing habits, (ie: never open email attatchments, download first, then scan before opening) you'll be alright. As far as the Gibson's site goes, it is a little confusing at first. So try his page here:

http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

scroll down a couple of clicks to the 'Shields Up!! Services' box and click the "all service ports" spot directly under the words "Shields Up!!"...the test will take only a couple of minutes for your peace of mind.

Still, if you run a firewall (such as I do with Sygate), you can go to Sygate's page:

http://scan.sygate.com/

and click 'Scan Now'. Must be done using Internet Explorer though. Piece of cake. ;)

Thanks Keith for the info.

I ran the test and it passed with flying colors.

I have Comcast Broadband, Zone Alarm, AVG, Spywareblaster, Spywareguard,

Adaware SE Personal, Spybot S&D, Spysweeper, Microsoft Antispyware, Bazooka,

Spam Bully for Outlook Express Spam Filter and ewido security suite for protection.

And then use Gould's Cleanup, CCLeaner and Window Washer for cleansing.

And Trend Micro Housecall, Panda, and Microsoft self-extracting cabinet to remove viruses (which happens very seldom, if at all).

So, if I get nailed with a "big-damgerous-virus", it will surely be caused by

stupidity.

Thanks again.

Thanks Keith for the info.

I ran the test and it passed with flying colors.

I have Comcast Broadband, Zone Alarm, AVG, Spywareblaster, Spywareguard,

Adaware SE Personal, Spybot S&D, Spysweeper, Microsoft Antispyware, Bazooka,

Spam Bully for Outlook Express Spam Filter and ewido security suite for protection.

And then use Gould's Cleanup, CCLeaner and Window Washer for cleansing.

And Trend Micro Housecall, Panda, and Microsoft self-extracting cabinet to remove viruses (which happens very seldom, if at all).

So, if I get nailed with a "big-damgerous-virus", it will surely be caused by

stupidity.

Thanks again.

That's quite a good protection you have there rgsmile. Make sure you keep everything updated and run scans at least once a week.

Like you said, common sense is your best weapon against spyware and other internet threats. ;)

with regards

I really liked the SheildsUp test. I did have one port open and I use ZoneAlarm, the free edition. When I researched this through the ZoneAlarm forums, I found that the test was really testing my ISP because I connect through them. Only the ZoneAlarm Pro has the option to manually block certain ports, unless I'm missing something. In the free edition you can add web sites either by host/name, IP, IP range, or subnet mask. I am going to call my ISP and ask about that port that is open.

Thanks,

Faith

Thats ok Pit I close the port 1027 after going thru alot of fixes but all i had to do was dump Kerio firewall and and get ZoneAlarm and all the ports are stealth now :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest LukaBuka

I still prefer ZoneAlarm  :P 

Although Sygate is mentioned with honor in articles on security, ZoneAlarm is always "the top choice among free firewalls". I personally think it is.

PCMag.com once said ZoneAlarm sets a standard others must match. It stealth all computer ports to the very last one.

Sygate would be my second choice, should ZoneAlarm muck up.

Sygate is OK, but it's not very good by any means. ZA is MUCH better and Kerio is better yet. Sygate (personal, not pro) gave me nothing but problems. ZA and Kerio were excellent, though Kerio did take some time to set up. I now use Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro and it's the best firewall I ever got my hands on

I now use Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro and it's the best firewall I ever got my hands on

That link is a selling site for 10% off the Outpost Pro version. To read more about it on the software-maker's home site a better link is AgnitumSecurity: Outpost

I haven' tried it. Just checking up on the link. :beer:

Edit: Oh it looks like a moderator deleted that reply I quoted, probably because it was really an advertisement for a selling site.

Edited by muchado

After reading this critique of ShieldsUP!, I'm not feeling so confident about its usage

Thats Quite a Claim about 'The' Steve. I've always wondered about those test sites.

Anybody know of a more 'reputable' Firewall Test Site ???

At ShieldsUP:

On my other PC I had Zone Alarm(free), it tested 100%.(Have now Sygate but yet to test it).

On this PC i have PC-cillin Internet Security 2005, it tested perfect 'TruStealth'.

But after reading that critique Im now not so sure my PC-cillin is performing well enough.