I am going to uninstall it and I am planning to reinstall my whole computer(my friend will help me and tell me directions). Anyway, what did you guys think of it? I think it's slow and I actually think it's part of why my computer acts up. I will have like NO spyware, viruses on mycomputer, it's defragged, no errors, clean sweep is used and PC pitstop even says it's fine but it still acts like an crappy computer..But yeah I want to say Notron is the blame. What do you think? Did notron mess up your computers?

Edited by SpootieHorse

Sounds like you've got your mind made up on what you will do.

So before you launch, if you have time, post a current test of your machine.

Then we will be very interested in seeing what gains you make.

And yes, might even be able to respond to your question about Norton.

Best Regards

Yes but...

I had the same experience with Norton BUT that was, like, years ago. It bogged down my system and choked my bandwidth and frequently gave me the "blues". But in all fairness I was running a 486 w/ window 3.2 on a 56K modem at the time. I will say that I've never been tempted to try their products again. :rolleyes:

once burned.....

Neil

I think it's slow and I actually think it's part of why my computer acts up. I will have like NO spyware, viruses on mycomputer, it's defragged, no errors, clean sweep is used and PC pitstop even says it's fine but it still acts like an filtered_word.gif.

You don't mention which version of Norton you are using. I've been running "Norton Antivirus 2002" on my three computers and it has never given me any speed or stability problems.

But yeah I want to say Notron is the blame.

Have you tried cleaning your registry? Are you running more programs/services than you need at startup? Have you disabled all the eye candy if you are running Windows XP? Do you have plenty of RAM?

What do you think? Did notron mess up your computers?

In my case, no, it did not.

Notron AntiVirus 2005. Quite a few ppl are telling me to switch and I think I might as well :) I don't like slow computers that freeze up. I have cable and my computer just--doesn't act like it works on cable anymore sometimes.

How do I clear the registry?

Turn off all the additional stuff that Norton installs and it's fine.

I've seen a perfectly capable machine crippled by Norton Systemworks, same for just the AntiVirus. However, once the additions were removed from the Antivirus, things were back to normal.

Wow! No wonder why my computer is a bit corrupted XD Anyway, where do I go to see what is running when I get on and everything? I mean I am sure some things are running that doens't need to be run.

Edited by SpootieHorse

You can use MSConfig, or you can look in the Registry:

HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run

HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run

You can also remove any services that are not required via Start, Run services.msc

Be warned, you do lose your Auto Scan feature by removing the Services, and if you only half finish the task (ie: disabling the Service, but leaving MSConfig/Registry Intact), Norton will throw up errors all the time.

Ah I don't see anything I need to disable I don't see a lot either O_o Oh well. I think I should still uinstall Norton and System works if it will make my computer go faster and stop being slow and lagging all the time :)

Actually I saw the stuff in service tho I am not sure which one I should disable.. XD

Edited by SpootieHorse

I've often had problems with Norton on machines with relatively low resources.

Seems like the Virus scan alone loads 6 items in the start menu. The full Norton Suite, therefore, could make a low resource machine quite laggie and make some functions nye onto impossible. For instance, Burning disks with Nero also takes loads of resources, which might not be available if multiple items of Norton were already using resources from Start.

However, many thousands of people use Nortone successfully. I'm just not one of them.

However... in favor of Norton/Symantec... Their automatic and manual instructions for removing Malware have often been the trick that saved my bacon.

So here's to Norton :beer: The same Norton that can be a Hog and extremely hard to uninstall. Problems? yes... piece of _____ ? probably not in most cases.

Best Regards

Ah I don't see anything I need to disable...

Actually I saw the stuff in service tho I am not sure which one I should disable..

In MSConfig anything in the Startup Tab (or in those Registry Locations) doesn't have to be loaded in order for the machine to function. You can have nothing in either place and the machine will still function fine. What you do lose out on are the additional programs that like to start when Windows loads (Messenger, AntiVirus, Firewall etc). Most of that stuff you don't need.

Disable every service with Norton or Symantec in front of it. Sometimes it's hidden in the Description, which you can read by right clicking one and then Properties.

For Example: SymWMI is actually a Symantec one, but you wouldn't know it just by reading the Service name.

Guest nellyp

So if I ry to get rid of the additions in norton what kind of additions am I looking to get rid of. This is all a bit scary to a novice as I messed up my nero buning till I discovered restore blushing:and am a bit worried I'll lose all my norton :blushing: :

Service Tweaking is an advanced technique for turning off programs/processes and disabling them so they never load again. Not to discourage you, but things can seriously go wrong if you accidentally turn off something important. Sometimes System Restore won't fix it either.

I highly suggest you read up on it before diving in.

Here is a good start.

If you have any questions, please start a new topic in the User to User Help Section of this Forum. :)