Change Mode

Putting Windows 98 Onto A Pentium 4

can it be done? i've tried, but when i insert the windows 98 disc, is says the harddrive needs a partition? and wont find the harddrive, but i when i install win xp, it loads up fine :blink:

is it not possible to do this? my auntie wants it doing, because she don't like win xp.

thanks

You need format set and activate the partion prior to installing win 98/98se

Get a boot disc from boot disk.com or I can post a link to a copy of mine.

As Bear suggested, all you need to do is partition & format the hard drive. Where XP pretty much automates the task (all done within the XP CD), with Windows 98se you need to use a bootdisk (at the A: prompt, type fdisk to partition, format C: to format).

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm (Windows 98se OEM bootdisk, or a Windows ME OEM bootdisk if the hard drive is larger than 32gb)

Contrary to what was said before, as long as the hard drive is properly prepared, Windows 98se should work fine.

One last word before I go: You can make Windows XP look and behave almost exactly like Windows 98se. All it takes is some tweaking. -kd5-

I have done this in the past, but you will have to create a primary DOS partition on your hard drive, then format it. To do this you will need a Windows98 or M.E. boot disk downloadable from www.bootdisk.com. The Fdisk program on your boot disk will enable you to create the primary partition and make it active. The Format.com program on the boot disk will enable you to format the drive. Personally, I can see no reason to use Windows 98, unless you just want to play with it. I actually managed to load Windows for Workgroups...what a trip!

One more last word: If you're going to put 98 on there, you'll more than likely want to make sure you have compatible drivers (chipset/motherboard, sound, video, modem/ethernet card, etc.) on hand before you begin. -kd5-

im sure it will be hard to find those drivers for hardware that is much newer then the operating system they are going on ... i really advise against going with 98 in all seriousness just don't do it

There's no reason why win98 won't work. As long as the disk is setup as described above and you have all your drivers then you should be ok.

You can copy your current drivers onto a disc and use them if you run into trouble while installing win98. A lot depends on how much you currently have on your computer. If there's a lot happening then there might be a lot of drivers that the win98 install won't install.

Either way your hardware appears to up to date so finding drivers shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Afterthought: Fair enough you gave your reasons for wanting to use win98 but XP is a far more stable and up to date operating system which will give you better compatibility with many devices and software for years to come.

It can be done but I would think there is more value in getting used to XP. I think there is an option to change the user interface to Classic windows style if that is of any use? Bottom line is I wouldn't advise going to win98 if you have XP

The answer to your question is yes I run Win 98SE on a P4 3.4ghz :mrgreen: As to drivers you will need to install the motherboard drivers once you get Win 98 installed. You must install Win 98SE on a primary partition of no more than 8mb (it doesn't like to play with a larger partition). Partition size only matters for the primary partition other partitions can be any size :P

You must install Win 98SE on a primary partition of no more than 8mb (it doesn't like to play with a larger partition). Partition size only matters for the primary partition other partitions can be any size :P

I assume that was a typo? The minimum amount of disk space required to install Win98 is 140MB. Before upgrading to WinXP I had my 98SE installed on an 80GB hard drive, one partion, and it worked fine. Edited by JSanders9

I was under the impression that w-98 had a processor speed limit built in--around 2.01 gig --I think---I read in another thread about the speed limit--not to mention the hard drive size limitation that is also built in

Maybee I read it wrong---

:(

i've decided to keep xp instead, and change the layout to windows 98 format.

main reason is, i dont have any drivers for the graphics,sound or motherboard, and i've been though that problem before on my old system, so i'm not going to mess around with it.

thanks for all the help.

p.s. i'm thinking of putting ram in my computer, what is the min that xp will run on?

i currently have 256mb( even though it says 224mb on my test results. why is this?)

You must install Win 98SE on a primary partition of no more than 8mb

Yes it was a typo should have read 8gb :mrgreen:

What wuz ya thinkin mouse

win 95 and dos 1.0 :P

Bear nope it just was a plain old typo :mrgreen:

KD since I use PM it tells me the cyclinder limit and I abide by it :P

There is no processor speed limit nor hard drive limit on Win 98SE as long as the motherboard drivers support it. In the case of my P4 3.4ghz the motherboard drivers even provide USB 2 support. What Win 98SE won't work with is Sata drives.

I just don't understand why suffolk04's auntie doesn't like XP.

Compared with 98, XP is much more stable and better in every aspect. Besides, Microsoft will discontinue support for 98 soon.

Maybe you can try showing her how superior XP is over 98 in a Pentium 4.