Change Mode

Bear Attack

Guest Donna

Guest Donna

Well, we had our first victim brought into the hospital today. She was scalped. When I left work she was still alive. This Woman worked for a company that comes in and measures the trees that were planted in previous years in blocks that have been logged.

My other half takes pictures of all the bears he sees out in the blocks hes works in. The one below he just took a couple weeks ago.

This is probably the bear in question.

When we heard a bear attack victim was comming in, acouple of us headed to the phones to make sure it wasnt our spouse/friend. Mine was away from his cell phone and I couldn't reach him. I was very relieved when I found out it was a female victim.

Donna,

Living in the North Country like you do and especially in the profession that you (and now your daughter) work in, I know that you understand that this sort of thing kinda comes with the territory.

But you are our friend Donna.

I share Jacee's sentiments, it is sad sombody was mauled by a bear, but thank goodness it did not involve your family.

Guest Donna

Moon there were five of them out there, shes lucky for that. One shot off a gun to scare the bear. But you would be surprised how many of these workers in forestry are sent out alone. Allan included. :(

Every summer its a scare for me when Allan goes out to the bush, he does have a hand gun now tho, so there is some releif.

Two summers ago 2 of his his coworkers were mauled. Bear smacked one of them in the head once and rough him up a bit, but the other guy lost an ear and part of his scalp. The second guy never returned to work, he changed professions.

The woman has been sent out to a bigger hospital, and is expected to pull throgh, shes pretty messed up tho. :(

Edited by Donna

Glad she is going to be ok......... :)

Have a "friend" who works in the forestry..... young guy just out of university type thing.... Him and his co -worker ended up stuck in a tree for 2 days..... because a bear was determined to get them..... The had the "saftey" equpment....radio equiptment etc..... ( not sure about a gun)..... but couldn't call for help cause buddy dropped the radio while climbing the tree..... and the bear never left the bottem area of the tree....

The bear finailly wondered off a bit...... and the boys were able to get the radio and call for help.....

Gotta treat them old bears like cattle and have 'em for supper.

Just don'g bag 'em during salmon run

http://img11.echo.cx/img11/1777/burntcattleforsupper7yn.jpg

We were in the Weyerhauser reserves south and east of Tacoma hunting way back---got chased by a medium sized black that we were told didn't hang out in them parts----we ran like heck anyway---didn't stop to tell 'em was in the wrong zip code

:mrgreen::mrgreen:

We have black bears upstate that like to hang around the garbage dumps so they don't really bother people since they have a food source right there. However, every once in a while somebody has an encounter with one which doesn't always end with them getting away safe and sound.

Yeah, be glad it wasn't your family, but what about that woman's family??? ;)

Nobody seemed to mention that the woman could be someone's wife/daughter ;)

Edited by brandon

Everyone is somoene's son or daughter, that goes without saying. Lets be realistic here, your own family comes before someone elses, even if you don't want to verbalize it. Everything else is secondary, hence the relief. No need to try to evoke guilt.

Everyone is somoene's son or daughter, that goes without saying. Lets be realistic here, your own family comes before someone elses, even if you don't want to verbalize it. Everything else is secondary, hence the relief. No need to try to evoke guilt.

I'm not, it's like you said, everyone has family, so they probably feel bad about it too...

My apologies if I made anyone feel guilty. :)

Edited by brandon

Donna.....

Here's an article from the Citizen.....

http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/news/current/n1.php

If you don't see that today...... it probably won't work tommrow as there will be somethign new on the "current" page..... so you can just go to....

http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/ then hit "Monday"....

The bear was later disposed of

That annoyed me...

Why kill the bear? Its only natural for it to go out hunting... Do we kill our Cats and Dogs when they bring back mice.. No - So why kill the bear?

Ok, it mauled a woman, but isnt that the risk in planting trees in Bear country?

Sorry, but killing the bear is just ignornance... :mrsgreen:

Edited by Wigan

Most bears DON'T attack..... they run away..... they are just as afraid of you as you are of them..... But then you get some "bad" bears..... Just like there are "bad" people out there that kill...... and you have to deal with them......

It;s like a bear getting into your garbage..... once they get a taste of it you can be damned sure they WILL be back for more...........

That annoyed me...

Why kill the people? Its only natural for thim to go out... Do we kill our Cats and Dogs when they bring back people?.. Yes - So why kill the people??

Ok, it mauled a woman, but isnt that the risk in planting Bear in trees country?

Sorry, but killing the people is just ignornance...

Or not :huh:

It;s like a bear getting into your garbage..... once they get a taste of it you can be damned sure they WILL be back for more...........

Don't get me wrong, I agree with that - But this woman was in Bear Country, where bears live, obviously there is a definite risk of being there in the first place. It wasn't the other way round, the bear wasn't in "garbage" etc.. it was in its own habitat, and therefore probably saw this human as a threat - as most animals do when people, or other animals intrude on their territory.

Just my oppinion...

A sad incedent, but the bear was only acting on instinct, and shouldnt be killed. If it was a rogue bear and attacked more than once, sure, for the safety of people, something should be done, relocation or a bullet, but one non-fatal attack for a wild animal is hardly enough to condemn it to death.

Edited by BlackWiddow

A sad incedent, but the bear was only acting on instinct, and shouldnt be killed. If it was a rogue bear and attacked more than once, sure, for the safety of people, something should be done, relocation or a bullet, but one non-fatal attack for a wild animal is hardly enough to condemn it to death.

Exactly my point.. plus the bear ran back into the wilderness, and was tracked down - which is unfair in itself...

Guest Donna

Thanks for the news blurb Cathie. There are a few things wrong in it, but thats the media or you. :P

Having lived up here most my life I found that to be a senseless waste of a wild animals life.

Bears don't tend to leave there "areas", People invaded his space. Once they are done planting/measuring the trees they will not return to that block. The bear will probably never see another human.

Its one thing to be walking through the bush and running into a bear and scaring the crap out of him and being attacked. These people are in a wide open space. They forget after a time of working in the bush that they are in the wild and stop being careful.

It is incredibly awful what has happened to that poor girl, but she was in the bears space not the other way around. I hope she makes a ful recovery.

We have had many bears get close to town and have had them relocated, if they return they are destroyed, but only after trying other things first.

The logging that goes on up here in the north is destroying the bears and other animals natural habitat and space they have lived in for years. And man wonders why the bear attacks. If we stayed the hell out of there way or paid more attention when in the bush this wouldn't happen.

Where the hell I been?? didn't even see this one...

I had a high school buddy who went camping up in your country D...went with his family and was 16 at the time...he was walking through some really thick brush and stumbled on a bear...it took his left eye out and beat him up pretty good...he was in the hospital for 30 days...

But he never blamed the bear...said he was at fault for being where the bear was sleeping and not making any noise...need to take heed when in bear country...was the lesson he learned the hard way.

The bear ought to be killed. One of the very few legitimate responsibilities of a government is to protect it's citizens. This bear was not being lovable. I'm glad it was put out. I'm from Wyoming where black bears can be hunted. Guess what, the bear attacks in this state are almost exclusively grizzlies. We can't hunt grizzlies. Hmmm...

just my 2 cents :)