Change Mode

Oh Help Me Wonderful Pcpitstop Brethren

DK64_MASTER

Hello, can you guys please help me.

Well this happened when I was at university, so I couldn't be of immediate assistance, but know I'm on summer holidays, so hopefully we can do something

My sisters computer randomly kicked the can when she left it on overnight. She told me she found the monitor in "power-save mode" meaning obviously the monitor wasn't getting a signal. She checked, and I checked that all the connections were in place, so obviously, the problem is that there is no video signal. The bad thing is that I get no picture whatsoever. It doesn't even display the bios screen. I'm thinking a power surged knocked out the mobo :yikes: :help:

But I'm not too sure. The cpu fan spins, and the power supply fan spins, meaning the psu isn't dead? The question I have is how bad could the damage be, and is there any hope of fixing it?

I know the mobo probably is the culprit, but could the processor have died because of a power surge, or could it be something completely different?

I can try the memory, hd, and drives on another computer, but I can't really try the processor (different pin count). I'll report back later to see if the hd, drives, and memory isn't dead. Darn processor cost me the most... So I'm praying that isn't fried. The mobo, case, psu I got from tigerdirect, all for 30 bucks (there was a good deal that I got from you guys) so the mobo can be replaced.

The monitor works on other computers, so it isn't bad (thank god).

I built it after buying the aformentioned barebones kit.

here are the stats, though I don't think they will help.

P4 2.4 ghz prescott (I think, since it has 800fsb).

120 gig ide hd

512 mb kingston (value) ram

onboard video (my sister doesn't game much)

onboard sound

oh, I bought the cpu with a fan (which spins).

Mobo is here:

http://www.ecsusa.com/products/pm800-m2.html

Thank you for your help.

Edited by DK64_MASTER

I would look to the power supply being the most common thing to fail. Try another one in that computer that you know works. Make sure it has the 4 pin aux connector to hook up to the motherboard or it wont light it up either. If that doesnt light it up to the boot screen I would suspect the motherboard next.

Gryph

But the psu fan spins, along with the cpu fan? Could it be it doesn't have enough juice do everything, but can do somethings?

Good idea Gryph, I'll be sure to try that this week.

Thanks

Oh, what are the chances of the processor dying if the mobo is dead?

Edited by DK64_MASTER

Ok. The first thing I would do, and I've had to on every ECS board I've worked with. They ship with a very weak battery. Replace the battery. They cost about 2 bucks. Then use the jumper to clear the cmos, and see if it boots.

Next, try a new power supply.

Im really at no position to buy a new battery right this instant, would it be ok if I use a different computer's battery, and check to see if it boots? Or will it mess up that computer too, when I put it back in?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, no dice, psu is ok (I checked the voltages using a VOM) and I tried a new battery. I think the processor is dead, because the light on my network adapter lights up, so the motherboard seems to be working. :(.

Any more suggestions?

Well if you've checked the powersupply, pulled and replaced the battery, cleared the cmos, then about the only thing left is to reseat the ram. If it's still a no go then I would pull the cpu, try it in another system to be sure it's ok and that would leave the motherboard.

RAM is reseated, I got no image so I wouldn't see how Reseating the ram would help, but I did it anyways. I'm probably going to get a refund for the cpu, because that seems to be the problem, although I got really no way to check it. The Mobo was cheap anyways, so if that doesn't work, I have the money to get a new one. I just hope Intel gives me a replacement since I have a 3 year warantee, and did nothing wrong.