Change Mode

6800 Gt Cooling Help

have a gainward 6800 gt golden sample which has 2 small high speed fans for overclocking but their so loud i'm tired of it.

ive been looking at this: zalman cant find much better

but i have the idea to use 1 or 2 120mm fans like this one

and somehow attach it and use the heatsink thats already on my card, this fan moves 78cfm of air at 21db, so wouldnt this theoreticaly be alot better than a regular vga cooler which will likely move alot less air at more noise levels, has anyone tried this?

i know the silencer only puts out a few cfm of air and looks like all the other vga coolers dont put out much air for the noise, what does anyone think of using a rubber band to hold a 120mm fan on the current heatsink, it puts out 78cfm of air at 21db, sounds good on paper anyway, think i'll likely try that i just need a reason why i shouldnt try it but i cant think of any reason it wouldnt work well

i know the silencer only puts out a few cfm of air and looks like all the other vga coolers dont put out much air for the noise, what does anyone think of using a rubber band to hold a 120mm fan on the current heatsink, it puts out 78cfm of air at 21db, sounds good on paper anyway, think i'll likely try that i just need a reason why i shouldnt try it but i cant think of any reason it wouldnt work well

I think that would be pretty hard to pull off.

• 2 weeks later...

i finished my mod on my graphics card, i used 2 thunderblade 120mm fans which put out 78cfm at 21 decibels, alot quieter, i also bought a xp 120 heatsink for my cpu which uses 120mm fan, its monstrously huge and i had to take off the bottom of my psu and remove the fan as well as remove the case fan near cpu, kinda sucked but it now blows so much air around that i dont need system fans, i can feel alot of air move through the system vents but my system temp dropped 20 degrees and my cpu temp dropped from 104 F to 86 F

my graphics card temp dropped from 55.875 C to 47.000 C at idle

pcb went from 39.500 to 31.875

takes up alot more room in my custom case but cant argue with those temps

http://img198.echo.cx/img198/7230/picture0039rn.jpg

xp120 heatsink- its alot bigger than it looks in pic, its impossible for anyone to use this with a standard atx case without taking the psu bottom plate and fan off, perhaps an extended atx case is what this is intended for

http://img8.echo.cx/img8/6781/picture0116ug.jpg

xp120 heatsink- its alot bigger than it looks in pic, its impossible for anyone to use this with a standard atx case without taking the psu bottom plate and fan off, perhaps an extended atx case is what this is intended for

i had it in my Full tower case so it fit no problem . but on my Abit board it required removal of the N/B HSF and reinstallation afterwards . and as often as i change CPU's it wasnt worth the Hassle . and yeah it is freakin huge ... but the XP-90c performs better than it and much better to install :beer:

Just so you know, that idea is pretty outrageous and I also have one of these fans, and they don't seem to move that much air for the amount of noise it makes, it's the loudest fan I own besides my Aeorcool which is 48db....I would recommend the zalman or the artic silencer....jimmy riggin things like that for your computer are never good and that rubber will probably melt if it makes any contact to any metal parts....remember the puter parts get kinda hot....

Just so you know, that idea is pretty outrageous and I also have one of these fans, and they don't seem to move that much air for the amount of noise it makes, it's the loudest fan I own besides my Aeorcool which is 48db....I would recommend the zalman or the artic silencer....jimmy riggin things like that for your computer are never good and that rubber will probably melt if it makes any contact to any metal parts....remember the puter parts get kinda hot....

no i built metal brackets and are all bolted on so its quite secure, the only "jimmyrigging" i did was removing the psu bottom plate and fan so my cpu heatsink would fit, with just those 3 thunderblades i dont need any case fans as i can feel alot of air moving through the vents and no heat so its alot quieter than before wether the db rating is accurate or not, so far i got my usual 3.4 ghz but at 29 F cooler , graphics now oced 27 mhz higher and both it and system temps are about 20 F cooler so overall i'm estatic since i got the least of what i wanted which is having it quieter, i can hear that my raptors are now the big noise makers

Solaris,

I have a X800XTPE, and the stock cooling was a little loud and my temps were idle 42ish and under load around 70 odd.

I installed an artic silencer cooler and the temps went down to 36ish at idle and 60ish at full load. The problem I had was that the silencer is quite long and interferred with one of my hard drives requiring me to move the hard drive to a bay that wasn't fan cooled.

I wans't too happy with this so replaced the silencer with the Zalman. The temps I get now slightly better that with the silencer and no obstruction to my hard drives, although the noise is slightly louder at 100% than the artic silencer, but I run the Zalman at lowest speed unless gaming etc and see no real temp rise.

Another thought is your memory temps, I know the artic cooler has covers for the memory which the Zalman doesn't, but I have covered mine with OCZ Ramsinks which do the trick

Jack

no i built metal brackets and are all bolted on so its quite secure, the only "jimmyrigging" i did was removing the psu bottom plate and fan so my cpu heatsink would fit, with just those 3 thunderblades i dont need any case fans as i can feel alot of air moving through the vents and no heat so its alot quieter than before wether the db rating is accurate or not, so far i got my usual 3.4 ghz but at 29 F cooler , graphics now oced 27 mhz higher and both it and system temps are about 20 F cooler so overall i'm estatic since i got the least of what i wanted which is having it quieter, i can hear that my raptors are now the big noise makers

Ya them raptors like to be heard.... :beer:

and i thought once about getting 4 raptors..lol

i also tried using just 1 fan and it worked similarly well and took up less room

if nothing else it proves you dont need to buy stuff made specifically for vga cards, its cheaper and my opinion is more cfm is always better

i think i might dump my custom case for this silentium t2 case

i wonder how much in decibels does it muffle sound compared to a standard case?