• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a quick question on this mobo,

can i move 2 drives from 1-2 to 3-4 without reistalling xp?

Yes, you should be able to

Did you enable the ports in your BIOS as RAID ports and disable the others? I've done this several times during testing with no problems.

-=Vran=-

Edited by Vranichou

Dunno if it makes a difference, but I always did andif you ain't using them they sure don't need to be on. I have Parallel ports, serial port and 1394 disabled as well.

-=Vran=-

Dunno if it makes a difference, but I always did andif you ain't using them they sure don't need to be on. I have Parallel ports, serial port and 1394 disabled as well.

-=Vran=-

I disable all that I'm not using as well.

ok i tried again and disadled the other ports and it starts to load up the windows splash screen with the bar but it doesnt come on properly, you can just about see it.

when i restart the pc it just hangs on detecting array and stays detecting.

when i put the drives back on ports 1-2 it loads fine but tells me windows failed to load do i want to boot into safe mode etc,

am i missing something? its a mirrored array btw

Hmm...

I've never had any problems swapping ports while running RAID 0 on the MSI Neo 2 so I'm not sure what your problem could be as I've never run into it before, but this is the first thought process that comes to mind....

I've only mirrored drives using MS software mirroring under NT/2000/2003 server. In that case the drives sync themselves from time to time rather than on the fly (to save CPU time I assume.) Don't know if they would do this in a a hardware RAID 1 or not.

Assuming they DO, and they were syncing when you shut the system down before you moved them from 1/2 to 3/4, it's possible that the primary drive in the mirrored pair was switched to the secondary. The secondary might not have had the files in the proper spots ot something and was unable to serve as the boot drive in the RAID at that time. Then when you placed them back as 1/2 they remained switched. In any case, try swapping the ports that the drives are connected to and see if that helps. I'm assuming that you're running XP, and the the drives were mirrored using the NVRAID utility.

-=Vran=-

yes i'm on xp,

i dont think i use the nvraid utility :unsure: i just created the array in bios and load the drivers from the floppy. i dont install any software for the array :unsure:

i'll try it again,

also i wasn't meant to create a mirrored array, it was spose to be striped but never realised till i already installed xp so is there a way i get transfer the full install to 2 drives in raid0?

i know i can use maxblast but is there another way?

That is the NVRAID utility. Anyhow, short of copying the data over to another drive and reinstalling everyting there is no way to reconfigure a RAID once it's set. I have heard, although I've never tried it, that it is possible to add additional drives to RAID 5 without reconfiguring, but this doesn't apply in your case.

-=Vran=-

ok i tried again and disadled the other ports and it starts to load up the windows splash screen with the bar but it doesnt come on properly, you can just about see it.

when i restart the pc it just hangs on detecting array and stays detecting.

when i put the drives back on ports 1-2 it loads fine but tells me windows failed to load do i want to boot into safe mode etc,

am i missing something? its a mirrored array btw

Just some suggestions

I have noticed with nv raid on some boards if you dont have a floppy connected but its still set as your first boot device you will have problems booting to windows sometimes

Also you can disable "quick boot" in the bios and it may help too