Change Mode

Please Help Changing The Size Of My Icons

diane winch

HI PLEASE COULD SOMEONE HELP ME TO HELP MY FRIEND SHE HAS WINDOWS 98 SHE HAS A PROBLEM WITH HER DISPLAY ALL THE PICTURES WERE POOR QUALITY SORT OF GRAINED OUT AND ALL THE DESK TOP ICONS WERE BIG LIKE IN SAFE MODE AND ALL THE WEB PAGES WERE ALOT BIGGER THAN NORMAL. I CHANGED THE THE SETTING IN THE DISPLAY PROPERTIES TO THE HIGH COLOUR 16 BIT AND 640 x 480 AND THE PICTURES ARE FINE NOW BUT THE ICONS ECT ARE STILL TOO BIG AND I HAVE PLAYED ABOUT WITH DIFFERENT SETTING, BUT CANT GET ANY OF THEM TO WORK WHAT CAN I TRY. THANKS DIANE

if i remember, 98 is the same as ME is the same as XP when it comes to certain Display Properties....

if you review the paragraph referred to in the link i posted above, you should be able to reduce the size of the Icons...the page you'll end up on is titled "Win98 Tips Page: 7"

you get to Display Properties by right-clicking your desktop or going to your Control Panel....

pleez post back to let us know how you're doin' :)

i really don't understand the need to guess :shrug:

hi thanks for you help i wont be seeing her till Tuesday now i will try what you suggested then. One question will what you suggested also solve the problem of the over sized web pages and every thing she views at the moment that is bigger than it used to be O by the way i tryed putting a dot in the use small icons but it made no difference.thanks Diane

Edited by diane winch

what you just posted....sounds like it might be worth removing the graphics driver n' rebootin so windows can reinstall it

that is if things pretty much look as though you're in safe mode but ya aren't....

Edited by firekracker

check the device manager (look for any question or exciamation marks) , from what ya said about the icons, and pages being too large....it sounds like ya might have lost the video driver. Check the display settings in the control panel too

If it was a driver problem, she shouldn't be able to set the bit rate up high to have quality looking graphics. From that, I would say before anything like device manager is pulled up, just try putting the resolution to 800x600 or 1024x768.

boys, really now :P

frankly, i think a combination of steps need to be done in order to rectify the problem...

- changing the size n' spacing of the icons as described in link i posted....

- change resolution no matter what....

- n' reinstall the driver only because of how the web pages were described as 'oversized' which to me, means it looks like things are in safe mode....

:)