Coming Out Of The Closet

I'm quite busy, and I hate to leave this hanging, but it looks like your mind is pretty well made up AMD. If you are searching for answers, then by all means keep at it. But I honestly don't think something I or anyone else says will change your mind. It will have to be something you find out for yourself, just like the millions before you.

I highly suggest this book: Understanding the Times. It's written in a very good manner and shows great insight into Humanism, Darwinism, and Christianity. He studies each area of thought with quotes from the leading people of each area.

EDIT: I'd still like to hear about evolution though...

Edited by Jander
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having fought off the need to go out and hug a tree, I volunteer the following advice. If you believe in it, then fight for it. If you disagree with it, then fight against it. You need to decide what you buy into, and as it seems that you have already made your choice, just get on with it. Millions have died so you can have the choice, so don't dishonour them by being weak and allowing others to make the decision for you. I may not agree with your choice, but I will fight to the death for you to have the right to choose. Now get on with it and stop whining.

Have a nice day.

Having fought off the need to go out and hug a tree, I volunteer the following advice. If you believe in it, then fight for it. If you disagree with it, then fight against it. You need to decide what you buy into, and as it seems that you have already made your choice, just get on with it. Millions have died so you can have the choice, so don't dishonour them by being weak and allowing others to make the decision for you. I may not agree with your choice, but I will fight to the death for you to have the right to choose. Now get on with it and stop whining.

Have a nice day.

:tup:
Guest aintnothang

"The Gods can either take away evil from the

world

and will not, or, being willing to do so cannot; or they  neither can

nor

will, or lastly, they are able and willing.

If they have the will to remove evil and

cannot,

then they are not omnipotent.  If they can, but will not, then they are

not

benevolent.  If they are neither able nor willing, they are neither

omnipotent nor benevolent.

Lastly, if they are both able and willing to

annihilate evil, why does it exist?"--Epicurus

Proves their aint no god. Everyone dies. Sucks but its the way it is. Use your brain while you're alive cuz you aint gonna be using it when you're dead.

I submit that maybe there is something after death, but just not something we are able to understand. Its beyond our comprehension.

Not a superior being, but something so far beyond our idea of "god" that it would make a god seem like a pebble to a galaxy.

I make no assumptions as to what is really out there, or after life, and although I find it hard to believe any "religion", I also find it very hard to accept the possibility that we are alive, and then we die, and thats all there is.

I think this universe has proved itself to be way too complicated to make death that simple.

AMD... be your own person; be kind, courteous, humble, brave and effective as you can be, fear evil but do not respect it, but most of all - do not allow this question in your life to hinder you from being all that you can.

:tup:

I think that about sums up this topic. Of course nothing we say here is really going to influence his decision; he only posted this thread to explain what a hard decision he has to make for himself.

If god does exist, he should favour people who may not necessarily worship him, but abide by the commandments and are kind to others. You shouldn't go to hell just because you didn't spend most of your life kneeling down in prayer to what could just be a fictional being - who's to say he exists?

We all have our own choices to make in life but in the end, if your a nice guy, things will work out for you. :)

Edit: Yay, 1000th post :P

with regards

Edited by Champion_Munch

Love is.

Of course there are many other things that exhist as well, but of all of these, none hold a glimmer to Love.

2 books that helped me within my own struggles with Christianity (brought up much like you AMD) put things quite simple and easy to feel.

Look for them in any used book store that you have near you, or you can find them on the web.

Emmanuels Book

Emmanuels Book II : The Choice for Love

Be proud of yourself for taking the journey. May you find yourself and love what you have found. :)Y

Sorry I have been absent. I went down to Washington D.C on friday with my High School Orchestra and came back today and didn't have access to my home here. :mrgreen: But hell, I saw the National Symphony Orchestra at the Kennedy Center, the Navy band, and we got a superior rating at our competition. :banana2:

Of course there are many other things that exhist as well, but of all of these, none hold a glimmer to Love.

:tup: I don't think there can be a better way to live one's life. :)

Thanks again to all for comments/inputs/understanding. Nice to see an open minded crowd. I'm glad everybody respected me and is so understanding. :)

I have talked with my parents. I did not tell them about my status but told them that I did not want to go to church anymore. My mom understands and my dad understands where I'm coming from because he's not really into organized religion anymore and wants out and more of a non-denominational approach. Anyways, I plan on moving to Virginia or North Carolina in the future. I'm sure that will open up another can of worms. They tend to be very true to their beliefs. Hopefully they will respect mine. Peace and love all. :mrwinky:

Well I stumbled upon this thread after 113 replies, so I get a feeling that my input could possibly be moot. :lol: I noticed a lot of very good questions, and responses.

Most intellingent people will go thru exactly what your dealing with, amd dude. The question of existence, creator, divinity, 'master plan' and all, make for some very interesting discussions. I also have gone thru similar experience. I stay as a believer, but also believe that we're all basically wrong in the concept and perception of God and what his will really is. I just can't accept everything a preacher/minister/teacher/priest says when they state that "God" told them this and that. Why can I not accept everything? Because it seems foolish, to me. How do I really know that "God" wants this and that? Just because a 'man' said so? Anyone can say just about anything and state that 'God' told them to say this, or do that.

I could go on and on, it's a never ending quest and discussion. But I respect everyones beliefs. I am married to an agnostic, she's not atheist because she cannot disprove the existence of God....and she cannot believe because the existence of God cannot be proven to her. However, she possessess the very traits that a believer SHOULD have, but sadly, many don't. I respect her choice, and she respects mine. I don't try to convince her, nor does she try to convince me. We're very happy together-------------------an 'odd' thing in the eyes of fundamentalists..... :lol:

Just a coda:

Carbon dating is a lie. It isn't scientifically proven.

Noone claims the results arrived at from carbon dating are certain to the day. But the process is proven in the sense that it can be reproduced and so provide results which are statistically comparable. And that's pretty much the definition of science.

I

Edited by Iain

Just a coda:

Noone claims the results arrived at from carbon dating are certain to the day. But the process is proven in the sense that it can be reproduced and so provide results which are statistically comparable. And that's pretty much the definition of science.

I

The difference between science and religion is science doesn't say they know something happened, they just offer an hypothesis based on the known facts.

with regards

I really feel it is a mistake to compare science and religion anyway. Essentially religion is at odds with science, but science is not at odds with religion.

I still have to do my catch up reading in the thread so I will stop there.