Change Mode

I finally get my computer up and running, SP2 downloaded and installed, all regular programs installed. What happens? The PC drags to a crawl. :(

I turned it on the other morning and found it to be running EXTREMELY slow. Slow enough that it took me 25 seconds to load up minesweeper...45 seconds for ad-aware, and as for internet explorer....I'm still waiting. :woot:

So I went to windows task manager and checked out to see if I could spot anything malicious lurking around. Nothing looked askew under running processes but I checked the CPU Usage, and the meter read 100%! :erm: This was when I had NOTHING running in the background (that I knew of ;)), I even shutdown my AV and [email protected] Looking at the computer I'm using at the moment (my dad's comp) normal CPU Usage is around 2% when I have no programs running. Even when I have several programs open it doesn't pop up more than 70%, if only for a second.

So I'm wondering.....If I run a few scans with my AV and anti-spyware proggies, is there much chance of me finding anything? I started running ad-aware 15 minutes ago and it's scanned just 75 files since. :woot:

If I can't find anything, will I have to reformat?

Edit: Just checked, after 25 minutes MSN finally loaded up....:(

with regards

Edited by Champion_Munch

"System" has 99%. On this computer "System Idle Processes" has 95% and "System" is 0....I think that is what you wanted me too look at. :)

I went through msconfig (took 5 mins to load..) and I removed a few funny-lookin' things but without success.

with regards

Edited by Champion_Munch

Check msconfig and uncheck everything and reboot and see what happens.

Go into safe mode and run your scans if you can.

Edited by PORTHOS

Was it doing the same stuff when you took that test??

Will it test now??

Now is the important one.

No, it wasn't. I've tried to open up IExplorer several times, but if it's gonna load up it's going to take more than 50 minutes, so I can't test it now.

I'll try what you suggested. :)

with regards

I removed EVERYTHING from msconfig, ran safe mode and scanned with everything....nothing. Starting the computer in normal mode again (without all proggies loading with msconfig) and still 100% CPU. I think I'll just try and restore to an earlier point.

with regards

It may be the Trend Micro. BRB with a link!!

edit: Have you seen this?? Sure sounds like what you're describing...

http://www.trendmicro.com/en/support/pattern594/overview.htm

No, actually I hadn't heard that....and the date seems to coincide perfectly with my problems. There was an update that I started to dl when it appeared but I canceled after a while because it was taking too long....if I dl it should that fix my problems? Sorry if you hadn't read the article yourself but I'm not very computer literate. :P

THANKS ALOT FOR THE LINK! :mrgreen:

with regards

The download bar has gotten to the end of the line....that happened about 1 1/2 hours ago. :( Nothing has happened since and it appears that it won't install the blasted file, thanks to CPU Usage... :mrsgreen:

Anybody have any suggestions?

with regards

Can you get to the Control Panel add/remove programs? I notice the Trend is listed in your software. I think it needs to be totally taken out of your system.

Well it has finally finished downloading. :)

I rebooted and now everything is running FAST AGAIN :woot:, although it still says that I have 100% CPU usage. :huh:

Which component do you want me to remove exactly?

with regards

I was looking at your Pit Test where it lists Trend Micro Internet Security in the software section.

If its still running at 100% I would be inclined to remove everything Trend related and see if that makes any difference.

I was looking at your Pit Test where it lists Trend Micro Internet Security in the software section.

If its still running at 100% I would be inclined to remove everything Trend related and see if that makes any difference.

Because I don't really want to download ALL THOSE UPDATES (:rolleyes:) again, I'll be inclined to keep it the way it is as long as the speed is normal. :)

The worst thing would be to remove everything Trend-related, only to find out it did nothing. :P

with regards