Kirk Hammett & James Hetfield - Metallica

Glenn Tipton & K.K. Downing - Judas Priest

Adam Jones - Tool

Chad Taylor - Live

Daron Malakian - System Of A Down

Eddie Van Halen - Van Halen

Peter Lindgren - Opeth

Joe Satriani - all by himself :)

Guitar is the instrument of the Gods it can make me feel things like no other instrument. Thank God for Rickenbacks (sp) fryingpan :lol:

Nice list :)

Seriously, how many of those listed so far do not actually play specific notes? How many just strum violently whilst making a few chords with the other hand, and screaming their heads off to drown the noise? At least the two that I named can play specific notes in very complicated pieces of music. Or have I missed the point, is the question merely concerned as to who can make the most noise?

Have you heard any Zakk Wylde stuff? That dude has major talent, he is fast and precise and considering he doesn't use a whammy bar it is just amazing.

play specific notes in very complicated pieces

How on earth does that equate to music? Most times it rarely rises above jacking off in public. -- O look, see what I can do! No melody, no beat. Just another excuse for an idiosyncratic sense of harmony and rhythm coupled with a Digitech and hours in the basement funded by middle-class parents. Maybe if I read a sci-fi title or two and listen to some jazz and classical I'll become authentic. Not likely....

I

Edited by Iain

I hadn't intended on posting anywhere else, but this was irresistible :mrgreen:

I can't pick just 10...but here's the ones that are the greatest to me.

Joe Satriani

Carlos Santana

Wes Montgomery

BB King

Eric Clapton

The Silent Beatle, George Harrison (way ahead of his time)

Edward Van Halen

Chuck Berry

Jimi Hendrix

Angus Young

Randy Rhoads

Zakk Wylde

Buddy Guy

Yngwie Malmsteen

There are so many more, but those are the ones that come to mind right away. I wish I could play like any one of them.

Guest fragged one

Seriously, how many of those listed so far do not actually play specific notes? How many just strum violently whilst making a few chords with the other hand, and screaming their heads off to drown the noise? At least the two that I named can play specific notes in very complicated pieces of music. Or have I missed the point, is the question merely concerned as to who can make the most noise?

you've never listened to some adam jones guitar, have you...
Guest fragged one

theres so many I admire...

Ihsahn & Samoth - Emperor

Tony Iommi - Black Sabbath

Dave Murray, Adrian Smith & Janick Gers - Iron Maiden

Kirk Hammett & James Hetfield - Metallica

Glenn Tipton & K.K. Downing - Judas Priest

Adam Jones - Tool

Chad Taylor - Live

Daron Malakian - System Of A Down

Eddie Van Halen - Van Halen

Peter Lindgren - Opeth

Joe Satriani - all by himself :)

Guitar is the instrument of the Gods it can make me feel things like no other instrument. Thank God for Rickenbacks (sp) fryingpan :lol:

it's about time somebody gave respect to adam jones.

jngwie

jimi

stevie

(ray vaughan and vy)

other dozens

stevie ray vaughan I saw three times in concert and along with his brother couldn't be beat.

edit spelling

and I am so tempted to add more

Edited by serioussix
  • 2 weeks later...

omg.. I cant believe I forgot Daniel Johns from Silverchair

cast me to the lions!

Sorry Kylie, but I have to, with the greatest respect, disagree. I think Daniel is a less than average guitarist but, don't get me wrong, a WAY above average composer, singer, songwriter etc.., I think the early, post-grunge stuff was exceptional, especially for a teenager. But what he has done from Neon Ballroom on, including the corroborations with Paul Mac, has been some of the best music written during that time span. Nobody can make the "kurt Cobain wannabe" accusations anymore and he has evolved into one of the most cinematic composers alive! And his voice! Just remarkable!

As for Aussie guitarist, they don't get much better than Chris Cheney from The Living End. I got to see the Modern Artillery tour at a little club in Atlanta last year and had a 20 minute chat with him after the show...absolutelly made my life complete! IMHO, he is the best Punk-a-Billy guitarist on the planet (that I've heard, at least) and one hell of a classy guy.

I've gotta say, you guys definitely have it together down under! Just wish I could visit for about 15 years!

Guest fragged one

fragged, adam jones is amazing live too! what an awesome concert...

yes he is...i've seen him several times, and each time become more and more impressed.

Tony Iommi , and Richie Blackmore (before he became a pixie ) should be in the top twenty .....

Before he became a pixie? :huh:

I am surprised you was the first to mention him. He was awsome in Rainbow.

Edited for this...

I would have Audley Freed (before BC) on my top ten list. I would also have James June (my uncle), before he broke both his hands, he could play circles around many of the guitarists listed here.

Edited by aeromaestro

Sorry Kylie, but I have to, with the greatest respect, disagree. I think Daniel is a less than average guitarist but, don't get me wrong, a WAY above average composer, singer, songwriter etc.., I think the early, post-grunge stuff was exceptional, especially for a teenager. But what he has done from Neon Ballroom on, including the corroborations with Paul Mac, has been some of the best music written during that time span. Nobody can make the "kurt Cobain wannabe" accusations anymore and he has evolved into one of the most cinematic composers alive! And his voice! Just remarkable!

As for Aussie guitarist, they don't get much better than Chris Cheney from The Living End. I got to see the Modern Artillery tour at a little club in Atlanta last year and had a 20 minute chat with him after the show...absolutelly made my life complete! IMHO, he is the best Punk-a-Billy guitarist on the planet (that I've heard, at least) and one hell of a classy guy.

I've gotta say, you guys definitely have it together down under! Just wish I could visit for about 15 years!

:angry: omg you disagreed with me! thats it you're off my christmas card list!

:P

hehe :mrgreen: I guess Daniel is on my list due to the facts that you listed... He is one of the few guitarists that has made me shed a tear and that has to count for something, albeit his all round performance that touched me. I sat through an acoustic set of his a few years ago and to sing and play as magically as he did I have to put him up there for me :)

• 1 month later...

I would have to say in no real order:

Stevie Ray Vaughn

Kirk Hammett

Eric Clapton

Slash

Hendrix

Eddie Van Halen

George Harrison

Dicky Betts

Dave Mustaine (not sure of spelling)

Angus Young

Joe Satriani

and many more that my clouded mind can't think of right now.

Edited by rhamton
  • 2 weeks later...

I forgot all about Eddie Hazel from Funkadelic with his song Maggot Brain. Now there's some guitar playing there... ;) -kd5-