Change Mode

We are looking to change our sky / BT / Pipex for the ntl 3for£30 offer (with an upgrade to 2mb)

Just wondering what people thought of ntl broadband. Would the ntl 2mb service perform the same as an adsl 2mb service? I have a 250k / 70k pipex at the moment so Ill see a massive difference either way.

Let me know your opinions as this is something Im really interested in and will hopefully (unless I find a good reason not to) be ordering this coming week.

Cheers Guys

Cheese

I know a couple of people on ntHELl and it's a mixed bag of feelings, I used to have them for my phone and TV but I kicked them out for a cruddy service and lying, incompetence and false advertising, I personally wouldn't P on them if they were on fire, as a business their attitude stinks, they will shaft you more often than not given the chance, I warned a mate about their incompetence after the mistakes they made at my place (and thats just the install), and he didn't believe things could be that bad so ordered anyway, over a month later and a hole in his wall they still hadn't installed and he told them to get lost and went onto BT, they aren't perfect either, but if they screw up and you can prove it they will sort you out, ntHELl usually just mess you about to the point of despair in my experience, I'd of had them in court if my legal aid hadn't run out, out of the 2 I'd go BT at least you know what your dealing with there, but I would suggest checking out >>>Bulldog<<< first though, I only know of 1 person on them personally but he's never had a problem, they have a 4 meg service if your in their area and a nice introductory offer. ;)

Cheers mate. Id deffinately like some other opinions then to see if thats a regular experience.

We could save a fortune compared with bt/sky/pipex and get a much faster connection. But if its gonna be endless problems then I wont bother.

Anyone else on NTL?

NP, and heres a little light reading for you while you wait on further replies, I dare say there are many hate sites out there but the only other one than this I've ever heard of is about paypal, so to get a site this large takes some major stuff ups IMHO.

>>>nthellworld<<< :fear::yikes:

The thing to remember there is that the .com version which flamed all ntHELl's :filtered: ups was forcefully shut down by ntl because it was revealing to much dirt on them, this site came about because those frustrated with the countless problems of having ntHELl service (thats a contradiction in terms there :lol: ) had no where to turn to get help, so this site was created to help others out who had similar problems but were lucky enough to of found a solution albeit from someone who has nothing to do with ntHELl, my guess is that after the .com version went the way it did this one decided to take a different tact, TBH I treat anything out of an ntHELl's corp rep mouth like I would a politician, you can tell if their lying if you see their lips move ;)

I actually had them lying in their own print, and when I raised the point with a top end tech who they eventually sent out to me after they'd recorded over 50 complaints in a single month things were so bad he burst into laughter and showed me what a load of crud that they had said was, over 4 years later my mate didn't take my warning about them when he wanted to go on their internet service, over a month after the initial connection date, a hole in the wall, and 5 missed appointments (by them not him although they tried to say it was even though there were always 3 people in at a minimum at the appointment times), and just over a days worth of lost work not to mention the phone calls in time and cost trying to sort it out he still had no net, maybe we've got ntHELl's worst staff in the world here or something but I wouldn't use them if they paid me.

As soon as you try to take any legal issues to hand they throw up a dumb wall (incompetent cs staff) and bury their head, my lawyer even sent off a copy of the litigation to the US but they too buried their head with no reply, all I do these days when I hear someone talking about ntHELl problems is laugh, and the latest example of their incompetence I can leave you with is I've been trying to build a web site for a mate, they want to host the site on their ntHELl service initially until it takes off, I went round to show them (they are die hard believers in ntHELl) what\how to do some things only to find they had no way of knowing how to upload the site.

The only info they had was they needed an ftp client and a few links to some were given, that was the amount of info we found on-line to upload to their site, we tried to log into their account for 20 minutes then we noticed the small print, accounts before blah blah blah etc can not be accessed on-line, so we couldn't even look in there for further info on this, we left it that they sent a mail to cs asking for help on this, apart from the auto response we are still waiting, over 3 weeks later, they looked at me grinning with the "I told you so" look and they said OK OK don't say it lol,, so IMHO I haven't seen one single improvement to their incompetent style that I've come to expect even though it's years since I first showed them how wrong they are (I would say were but I can see no change), all I can say is use them at your peril. :mrsgreen:

I am using the NTL World 2MB, it works fine. My internet is very reliable, and so is the 50MB web space. However email service is useless. I cant send email, i don't know why. It's still a hell of a lot better than it used to be. I asum u live in the UK, look at the alternatives. BT,BT Yahoo, wanadoo, AOL. There isn't anything better, well at least i haven't found it. The customer services are totally useless, a complete bunch of :filtered:.

EDIT: i don't see why people hate it so much, i know 3 other people who happily use it.

Edited by martynellison

Wow, I really am having doubts now.

From what I read, the .com version of the nthell site was bought out by ntl, apparently to use as a base for their customer services! but nothing ever came of that.

Im wondering wether telewest, bell-cable and all the others are the same. I think telewest are offering the same kind of deal but dont yet know wether I can get telewest here or not.

I am going to keep reading just to see if I notice any improvement from peoples comments, for two reasons...

Firstly Im living at my mums at the moment, and she has worked out all here bills etc and for phone lines, sky & pipex we are paying almost £100p/month! Which we could have it all for about £50 with ntl (thats with 2mb and a few extra tv channels).

Secondly Im gettin pretty sick of this uber-slow connection. Even browsing can be frustratingly slow on the bigger sites, and downloading anything over a few meg is just silly. From my calculations I should get about 250kBytes down on a 2mbit connection?? with my current 250kbit pipex I get 30kBytes down on a good day So the difference would be undeniable. Although thats no good if it never gets installed!

Cheers for the link to bulldog, but while Im living here the only way I can get a better connection is to go with one of these deals which include tv phone etc.

So, for arguments sake lets say I ordered it and it was installed on time and correctly, am I then likely to have a solid dependable ISP or not?

You know, the funny thing is that their sales team seem excellent! full of info and happy to help (Although they really do push for an order).

Cheers again mate, Im gonna go and do some reading now.

EDIT: Marty, That post took my an age to type so I missed your post, but TBH thats the kind of thing I wanted to hear. Yeah Im in the UK in Yorkshire. That puts abit more confidence in me but I still need to read up.

Cheers people

Edited by Cheesehead

Forcing the closure and buy out of a site is the way big business work, if they don't like it they do a forceful take over, Nokia have done this to loads of web sites including the main site I used to run, I saw first hand the scare letters they send out that basically offer you no alternative because they hit you via copy write infringement (use or partial use of their name in any part of the site including domain name), hitting you this way even if you win the case theres no way the average person can afford to defend it in court because such cases are heard in the high court and you HAVE to employ a silk, you can't front your own defence, and how many people could finance such a battle given they must charge 100's of £'s an hour +, even if you could finance a short battle the other side would simply pile in litigation taking months of court time to get through, Vodafone did the same to another site I help run as well, they would all rather spend a million to save a 100. :mrsgreen:

ntHELl are probably brilliant for many people, I know a couple of people who rate them, well until recently when they wanted something from them anyway, but anyone who has a service with no problems will always think it is a great service, but IMHO a great service should ONLY be measured in cs, OK the techy stuff comes into it a bit, but given that everything is fine there then cs is everything, if you have no cs you have nothing.

Telewest were great as a service, they were bought out by ntHELl which put me straight off them, but they were miles ahead in cs compared to ntHELl, when I phoned them up to cancel after they were bought out they couldn't of been more understanding after hearing my reasons, if ntHELl hadn't bought them out I dare say I may still be with them, but for a better more unbiased view of whats best etc have a look here. B)

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/

And here is a comparison on that site of the isp's mentioned in this thread that were rated enough to get on their list including Demon which I've just remembered about, and the only isp out of them that beats BT for everything is Demon, but have a look see around there and see how you go, you can even enter you post code to get a list of available isp's in your area.

>>>Comparisson Here<<<

*edit

Forgot to mention another big hitter here as well, Pipex have a great rating generally speaking beating both BT and Demon on the most part, heres the comparison adding in AOL which I forgot (just NEVER use their software) and Pipex, ntHELl ranks pretty much bottom of them all and at best only equals the lowest results of the others, but see for yourself.

>>>Updated Comparison Here<<<

Edited by 8210GUY

Wahoo Pipex wins almost everytime! I was right to go with them before then. Everything above their lowest service is simply too expensive though.

It may unfortunately come to the point where I have no input! My mums realised she could save some money and she seems pretty hell bent on giving it a try.

Ive gotta say Im appaulled(sp?) by ntl's speed results there, beaten by AOL!!! :yikes: That says it all really doesnt it

Thanks again for the time you've taken to reply here mate, its appreciated. Youve given me alot of reading to do before wednesday (nthell ring back) but I think my advise to my mum is gonna be leave it be.

NP, unfortunately the green monster controls everything in our lives :bawling: but show your mum that site, it may help, also take note of Bulldog's 1 year offer which includes inclusive phone usage, if you've got high phone bills may be worth a mention as it will compensate the net side and thats a 4meg service if available in your area, worth a thought maybe. B)

Deffinately worth a look, but the broadband was never the reason we were thinking about that bundle (just a bonus) Ive got a feeling if we dont go with one of these 3in1 bundles shell just say leave it as it is.

You say telewest were bought by ntl? I have told her about all the bad experiences people have had with ntl so she has asked me to try and research telewest because they offer the same sort of deal.

Im guessing if telewest is owned by ntl they will share customer service practices etc?

Guest gadgerman

NTL don't own Telewest ,although there is a rumour of a merger . I have NTL for my broadband (3 Mb) and it's great fast and reliable although the email can be a bit on and off . I have friends on ADSL and they have allsorts of problems ,(all ADSL runs through BT lines , old network on old cables etc ). most of the problems encounter with NTL are with customer services or at installation PC probs ,once up and running then fine .

Dam, I keep getting them messed up, sorry it was Cable & Wireless they bought out, not Telewest :blushing: but you've just reinforced my point about their cs and I say again

IMHO a great service should ONLY be measured in cs

because I promise you on the day it hits the fan and you need help from them to sort a problem if you experience even a fraction of what they do to many customers you'll wonder why you ever went with them, setting up a mates ntHELl BB was a pain, took 20 minutes in a phone queue on average and 3 calls to end up getting through to someone who knew their job and could sort the problem, they will sell you the world happily, but try and get the world and they'll wonder what you want, their greatest lie is about delivering fibre optic cable to your door, don't know anyone who can recall the sales pitch thrown at them to find out if they still pull that stroke. :erm:

But if Telewest is in the line up then thats the winner IMO, it even beats BT that I included as a kind of bench mark, but you can add up too 6 isp's that you want to look at and compare them yourself if you think of other contenders to look at, but these comparisons are from votes from users of those isp's so one would hope it would show a balanced view of it all.

>>>Telewest Comparison<<<

hiya i was on ntl for awhile but left because i think they r really rubbish. i had problem after problem, emails down, emails not workin etc and service goin down i mean u name it i have had that problem with it. i changed to bt yahoo and i think this is a good service have n't had no probs with them so far *fingers crossed* but i'm nearly at the end of my contract and i think i am goin to go with bulldog (4mb woohoo lol) i've heard they r good so i'm looking forward to gettin it. before u decide i have got another isp for u if u live it an activated area that is but its called uk online dunno if u have heard of it and i dunno if its ne good yet but they do a nice big 8mb which would be great, they do it the opposite part of where i live(i was sooooo gutted) but ne way check em out

Well... Thankyou for all the comments and advice, And I did pass them all on. like I said, the final decision wasn't mine and its been ordered! If it goes smoothly Ill be a happy guy becuase just the thought of 2mb makes me drool, but we will have to wait and see.

Installation has been arranged for the 25th of next month so Ill let you know what happens.

Cheers again guys

Cheese

Well my suggestion to minimise hassle (although hopefully it wont come to that) is to keep a diary of everything said\done, when and by who giving dates times names locations (even if obvious) who contacted who and a brief dialogue of roughly who said what, and keep EVERY single copy of anything in writing including emails sent\received etc, and should you be asked to show any of this to them and they ask to take it away make sure you only give them a copy of what you have, may sound paranoid but I once gave them a video showing them how poor their service was compared to sky and every single time sky blew them away, and they couldn't blag it either because I have a split screen telly and could show them their service literally side by side simultaneously along side sky, it left them speechless EVERY time, they conveniently lost this tape after I let them take it, but I just made another, it was that bad I could do it most any time, but seriously take names especially from the sales team and note exactly what your being sold, if they promise you something which isn't in writing tell them to put it in writing or they can stick the service (diplomatically of course), if they say you can't you singed a contract etc remind them under contract law there is a cooling off period (2 weeks I think maybe a month) in which you can change your mind without penalty, hope all goes well but if it doesn't this will make you way ahead of the game should the worst happen, and if it does you'll need this I promise. ;)

yeah i know ppl who have had no probs with em but for those select few of us :angry: lol just so much stuff was down constantly for me such a pain in the :filtered: but i'm goin with bulldog now and only realised today that its run by cable and wireless and even though they went bankrupt they imo did a better job than ntl do and much better customer service :P but woot 4mb soon just waitin for them to ring and say when they comin down :lol:

Just to clarify

Most people have talked about bad customer services, email servers being un-contactable etc.

what I would really like to know is whether to expect a stable connection and bandwidth.

IE, In my eyes an "always on" connection means just that. Ive been with pipex for a year now and can only remember my line dropping once (for about an hour).

Is NTL likely to go down frequently?

when i was with ntl it went down quite a few times :blink: but doens't always go down with some ppl i suppose theres ppl who say isp's r rubbish due to experience and some who say there good due to experience lol ne way look on there homepage and moce ur cursor over the help button and select check service status and u can see the probs they r havin now and in the past and theres quite a lot :huh:

Wow, we are nowhere near the install date and this has already caused hassle.

We called BT to cancel our phone lines on the day NTL were due to install, so they should have staid live for about 30 days....

two hours later, our main phone line was dead!!! After about 30minutes on the phone with BT they re-activated it... ON THE WRONG NUMBER! After a few days its now back to normal but we're starting to regret this already.