Change Mode

I was just thinking, how much per month, in electricity is my PC costing me? Right now it's an A64, and probably a 6600GT soon, and a 480 WATT PSU. How much does it cost? Three 12V fans are used, 2 80's, 1 120 MM. Also, what do 5.1 speakers cost? I usually listen to about 3 hours of straight music a day, on half volume on a Z5300 set from Logitech.

Don't have a direct answer Billy but here is a simple way to find out.

Keep your PC on for a whole month and keep the electric bill for that month then turn your PC off for the whole of the following month and keep the electric bill for that month. Now to find out how much it cost just subtract the bill from the month where the PC has been off from the bill from the month where it was constantly on. Now you'll know how much it cost. :mrwinky:

Or you could turn off everything for a month except the pc and see what the bill looks like. Of course you'd have to eat out occasionally, and you might smell a bit but at least you'd know. :lol:

Or you could turn off everything for a month except the pc and see what the bill looks like. Of course you'd have to eat out occasionally, and you might smell a bit but at least you'd know. :lol:

Yeah, I was going to suggest that if he objected to my previous plan. :lol::mrgreen:

Don't have a direct answer Billy but here is a simple way to find out.

Keep your PC on for a whole month and keep the electric bill for that month then turn your PC off for the whole of the following month and keep the electric bill for that month. Now to find out how much it cost just subtract the bill from the month where the PC has been off from the bill from the month where it was constantly on. Now you'll know how much it cost. :mrwinky:

Run an extenstion cord from the neighbors house to yours to run the pc and all its compents for a month. then ask him how much his bill went up last month :)

my old ladys pc was on for months, but monitor was off when not in use.

she shut it down cause her work hours increased and i noticed a 17$ decrease in the monthly bill..

so in between 13$ and 32$ per month

my mom doesit noticed any increased but i usely turn my computer off when i go too sleep. but it goes right back on when i wake up. but i do leave it on for 3days too 7days sometimes. by the way i got about 18 computers and sometimes 5 too 7 are on and we dont see any increased lol

wow, 18 computers. Where do you put them all?

Your computers may not use as much power as other ones. The less hooked up to a computer, the less power used.

Also, if you are only using 1 or 2 monitors, that will bring down the cost vs. using a lot of monitors (especially if they are CRT, which use more power).

i got about 8 of them in the liveing room 2 in the kitching and 3 in my room 2 in my mom and dads room lol and about 7 laptops not realy new ones tho and some macs too. the main main is in my sig and the newest one and the faster one :) i got dual monitors on this by the way too 17in lcd and a 17in crt. and all the other computers got there own monitors lol.

What are they all used for? Seems kinda hard to make use of ~18 computers (more if you count laptops).

I can see around 5 or 6 being used per day:

1 in the kitchen

1 in the living room - media center

1 or 2 in your room

1 or 2 in parents room

are any of them slightly new (2001 or later) besides the one in your sig?

I used to have 4 computers of my own.

An Emachines T1150, 1.3Ghz Tualatin Celeron

A 450Mhz PIII

The computer I have now

A Mac I let my friend use.

I sold the Emachines, destroyed the 450Mhz PIII comp, so all I have is my current one, and the Mac.

I have 4 computers also, 3 are pretty crappy, and one of those doesn't work.

The one i am using right now

A custom athlon xp 1800+, 512MB memory

A custom P3 750 (everything in the computer is a pos besides the processor, memory, and AGP/PCI cards)

A hp vectra vl400, P3 1 GHz (not working).

How'd you "destory" one of the comps? Hammer it? :P

Edited by mariol90

What are they all used for? Seems kinda hard to make use of ~18 computers (more if you count laptops).

are any of them slightly new (2001 or later) besides the one in your sig?

well most of them are pretty old but they still get use for older games and stuff.

the oldest computer i got is a 1980 laser xt. and the newest computers i got is a emachine 633ids model 2000 too 2001 and a hp xe783 model 2000 2001. and a custem build that me and my uncle build in 2004 christmas amd duron 1600 oc too 2ghz thats my 2nd fastes and every other computer is under 2000. and for the laptops the 2 newest ones i got is a compaq 700us model 2002 and a compaq 1692 soild laptop model in 1999 my first laptop :P both run 100% extcept the 700us hinges went and the screen falls down if you dont put something in the back of it or hold it up. and the other laptops are 2 macs a old powerbook 150 1994 and a power book 2300c duo 1996 cool little laptop and a toshiba 4500t 1992 and a ibm ps2 or something like that 1988 or 1987.

How'd you "destory" one of the comps? Hammer it? :P

Wrong.

It was having a problem running Win2k, because the clock was always off, and I replaced the CMOS battery.

Eventually, it refused to boot, and I unplugged it, slammed it on the ground, and tore out every single wire I could find.

Then I read Windows 2000 may need a BIOS update to run on older computers.

lol. ;x

was that fun, especially after you found out the problem?

you've got a lot of computer history there, gordesky.

Those older computers must be speedsters :P

Yeah, it was really fun.

It was so fun, it gave me a concussion after got through bashing my head on the wall.