Change Mode

1987 Firebird Streering Wheel Is Real Shakey From

gordesky1

we got a 1987 firebird and the steering wheel shakes pretty bad if you move it up and down or sideways. the chevy place said it was from the tilt wheel and they said you got too take 4 bolts off and tighting them. but how do you take the steering whell off and too get too the 4 bolts?

realy cant let the pros do it they said it whould cost 200$ too do it. it aready costing 300$ too do the valve gaskets. whould it hurt too drive it like that? because it doesint afected the driveing or the handleing.

I wouldn't trust it for too long, it's the knuckle for the tilt that loosens up. The same thing happened to me on my GM, but cost under $75 to get it fixed. Just make sure that however you get it done, use locktight on the bolts!

You may want to check around for estimates. Its not a difficult job, just time consuming and somewhat involved, even if you have the tools required.

First you need a universal puller set from an auto palce like auto zone(usually 20-30 $ for good ones) then pop off the center hub on the steering weel, youll see 3 screw holles hoping you know how to use the puller(just ask the guys a autozone they know there sh!it)insert the apporiate screws with the center braket of the set then as you have all the outer screws tight insert a middle shaft into the braket, tighten the middle screew pushing the steering wheel off now you have access to the main hub

If you snap one of the loose bolts in the tilt wheel youll wish you would have fixed it, it can also pull wires apart. I see the multi function switches on the steering column breaking wires because of loose tilt steering wheels all the time. To tighten them should run you about $75-$100 if you find a local mechanic. ALLEN

Archived