Change Mode

Slooowww

Guest peesee

Guest peesee

my PC will sit idle for long periods while I'm browsing - taking ages to open a site, yet I can see there are long periods of no activity on my modem.

After recently trying Norton's it got even slower. I wiped all spyware, I have ADSL. Thanks

:help:

Ok Ed, thanks for posting the results! :) Let's roll up our sleeves and fine tune this rig.

1) Go to Start then click on Run, type in the resulting box: msconfig then click OK. Go to the far right where it says Start Up and click that tab. Uncheck these:

File Name Description

C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYSTEM\MOSEARCH\BIN\MOSEARCH.EXE

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE QuickTime Icon

C:\PROGRA~1\WINZIP\WZQKPICK.EXE WinZip tray icon

C:\PROGRA~1\CD-WRI~1\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE Direct CD

C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE Debugger

C:\PROGRA~1\OUTLOO~1\MSIMN.EXE Outlook Express

C:\PROGRA~1\WINAMP3\WINAMPA.EXE WinAmp

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CTFMON.EXE Office XP speech

C:\PROGRA~1\CD-WRI~1\HPSIMP~1\HPCRON.EXE

C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\FOTONA~1\EVLSTNR.EXE

C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SCM\LEDTRAY.EXE

C:\PROGRA~1\MAILWA~1\MAILWA~1.EXE

C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDP~1\PCCIOMON.EXE

C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDP~1\POP3TRAP.EXE

C:\PROGRA~1\TRENDP~1\WEBTRAP.EXE

C:\PROGRA~1\TURBON~1\TBNOTE.EXE

C:\PROGRA~1\WINMX\WINMX.EXE

Click Apply then OK and reboot

2) Go Start then Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Scan Disk make sure that "Fix all errors" is checked.

3) Boot into Safe Mode (Tap the F8 key upon boot up) Then go back to System Tools and run Defragmenter. This will take awhile, but is very important. Post back and we'll go from there. :mrgreen:

Guest peesee

Hey thanks ... I'm on my way, but these 2 don't show in the startup list....

C:\PROGRA~1\OUTLOO~1\MSIMN.EXE Outlook Express

C:\PROGRA~1\MAILWA~1\MAILWA~1.EXE

Ed

When you click on Start and the menu pops up, if they're at the top, right click each and choose Delete. These are Shortcuts to the Applications to make them start each time that Windows is booted. You're on your way my friend! :mrgreen:

Guest peesee

Hi

I did as you said, deselecting in startup after running msconfig - but at restarting they all returned. What am I doing wrong. And I taped the F* key but it rebooted as normal.

:blank:

Ed

Look at the top of your Keyboard, next to the ESC key, there is F1, F2, F3, etc. The F8 is what we're after. Being that this is a HP, if F8 doesn't work, then try the CTRL key which is on the lower left of the keyboard. It's important that Scan Disk and especially Defragmenter are done in Safe Mode, 'cause we've got more than 50% fragmented files on the C:/ drive alone.

Don't be alarmed when you boot into Safe Mode that your screen looks like crap and everything seems extra large, this is normal. You're doin' great! :)

Guest peesee

Hi

It crashed during defrag ... - some programs not running.

I still can't stop the startup stuff through msconfig. They are all back again. Any ideas?

Still trying.

Thanks

Ed

:blink:

In msconfig, after you uncheck the items that you do not want to start, click Apply, then OK. Windows will then tell you that you need to reboot for the changes to take place. Have you found your way into Safe Mode? When you get there, do your Scan Disk and then Defragment. Defragmenter probably will need to be run a few times to tidy up the hard drive. :)

you can also go to www.wilders.org

on left hand side is downloads page, click that and find newdefrag, d/l.

unzip, then open my computer, click on windows, click on open files, when that opens, scroll pass the files until you come to defrag icon, click on files--rename, change it to defragold. keep that window open.

go to the one you've just d/l, drag into windows rename that one as defrag, use this to defrag, it's from windows2000 or millenium and it's a damn sight faster than the one you have with 98.

good luck

linc