Change Mode

:mrsgreen: Is there anyone out there who regrets changing bowsers from internet explorer to firefox? You know the old saying if it ant broke don't fix it.. I read that microsoft updates wont work with firefox, if thats the only downfall this program sounds pretty good. Any feedback will be appreciated. Edited by BubbaDanielson

Just use IE to update your pc, or if you're scared of IE completely, just use the automatic update feature. I see no reason why you would regret getting firefox, it isn't like you uninstalled IE (because you can't).

I read that microsoft updates wont work with firefox, if thats the only downfall this program sounds pretty good.

ms updates?? ....who needs 'em! :P

the only time i use ie is for the pit tests and online virus scans. other than that, i see no reason to ever go back. ;)

:beer:

Edited by JackeL

Just use IE to update your pc, or if you're scared of IE completely, just use the automatic update feature. I see no reason why you would regret getting firefox, it isn't like you uninstalled IE (because you can't).

Actually, you can get rid of IE. You just have to have to right programs to do so, something similar to TuneUp Utilities. That's how I got rid of Windows Messenger

I've seen the result from removing IE on someone else's pc, it wasn't pretty and she couldn't get updates anymore. I wouldn't suggest it.

Yeah, that's whu everyone said I should just keep it. I have Maxthon, MSN 7, Firefox, and IE. I need to get rid of MSN...

Actually, you can get rid of IE. You just have to have to right programs to do so, something similar to TuneUp Utilities. That's how I got rid of Windows Messenger

you dont need a third party software to get rid of I.E. all you have to do is put in your installation cd and click on install more componets and when it loads uncheck I.E. and there you go uninstalled

but like others have said i wouldnt uninstall it

which btw i.e works greats for me with a little tweaking in my registry i get get downloads up to 650 kb/s -more

I run FF; it's OK, I guess.

It ain't perfect: I've been getting the odd pop-under; and a new extension, Greasemonkey, which allows the user to write serious HTML scripts for viewing web sites, is going to be a security nightmare. The Googlebar is NOT Google. I personally find the whole Firefox attitude rather smug and condescending.

All in all, I use FF for the security (no ActiveX) although I don't know how much longer THAT will last, and the tabbing feature.

I'm with Tim618: I'm waiting for the next IE

An opinion from the opposite end of the spectrum: I tried Firefox once, didn't like it, uninstalled it, and unless IE6 just plain blows up in my computer, I won't be changing anytime soon. I just don't have the problems with Internet Explorer that everyone seems to think I should have... :shrug: -kd5-

you dont need a third party software to get rid of I.E. all you have to do is put in your installation cd and click on install more componets and when it loads uncheck I.E. and there you go uninstalled

but like others have said i wouldnt uninstall it

which btw i.e works greats for me with a little tweaking in my registry i get get downloads up to 650 kb/s -more

It doesn't actually uninstall, it's still there, you just dont have the shortcuts to it anymore.

i use firefox and i love it, but when IE 7.0 comes out i'll switch back because it's going to be more secure and it will also have tabbed browsing:-D

I suggest you wait at least a month before upgrading to IE7. Microsoft has a long history of releasing swiss cheese versions of software and then plugging it up later.

It does? What are you comparing it to? IE? Keep in mind IE is already loaded up, it's part of the OS.

There are many, many reports of this all over, do a google on it and you wll see...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/roc...baby/ffnuts.gif

http://dothelp.info/ff1.png

http://dothelp.info/ff2.jpg

even tho ie is built in, its not using that massive ammount of ram that ff does/can.

Posted Image

Edited by BBYTech587

I use FireFox and am happy with it.

I would describe myself as a notch above the casual user so I just dont need all the bells and whistles of Opera.

The reasons I like FF....Tabbed Browsing, Plugins, Security. In that order. Oh yeah, and I can use the mouse wheel to click on links to open them in new tabs...yay!

• 4 weeks later...

An opinion from the opposite end of the spectrum: I tried Firefox once, didn't like it, uninstalled it, and unless IE6 just plain blows up in my computer, I won't be changing anytime soon. I just don't have the problems with Internet Explorer that everyone seems to think I should have... :shrug: -kd5-

I agree with everything you said Thats the same for me lol :woot:

There are many, many reports of this all over, do a google on it and you wll see...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/roc...baby/ffnuts.gif

http://dothelp.info/ff1.png

http://dothelp.info/ff2.jpg

even tho ie is built in, its not using that massive ammount of ram that ff does/can.

Posted Image

There's a fix for F.F. memory leak

Fix a memory leak in Firefox 1.0

Firefox is supposed to dynamically release memory from its RAM cache to other Windows applications as needed. Unfortunately, Firefox 1.0 seems to consume more memory than it should, which hurts performance, when set to the default of 51200 KB (51 MB).

To solve this, Firefox power users recommend limiting the memory cache using the Configuration Console. This frees up memory for other apps, speeding up everything to a greater or a lesser extent, depending on your machine and the applications you run. Here's how the trick works:

http://windowssecrets.com/041202/#top1

People tend to think mozilla firefox is like IE and you can't do anything with it, but because it's open source there's a lot of tweaks out there and you can configure it almost anyway you want. Someone's always working on improvements and the options are out there...if you look around instead of just accepting things the way they are, you'd be suprized

Edited by Joe C

THere are 307 tabs open. I guess they're supposeded to magically create their own memory?

Agreed - Of course memory usage with be through the roof if you have that many tabs open! I'd like to see a screen shot of a task manager on a pc with 307 IE windows open and see how much memory was required! That's assuming the PC would still function!

As a test, I just opened 4 IE windows and Firefox with 4 tabs. Total memory used by FF is approx 28,700 k. For the 4 IE windows it is approx 67,700 k! So which one is the memory hog again?!

I think FF is great. I have also used Avant, which I also liked, but I'm not sure if Avant is a complete standalone, or if it is built on IE - maybe someone else knows? I have also used Opera which I didn't get on with. But I certainly have not had any regrets about switching from IE. Of course it is still there if I need it, but I use it extremely rarely.