Change Mode

2nd Powersuppy

ok i got my 2nd powersuppy runing buy putting a paper clip in the green and black slot. but when i hook my video card 9800 dongle too it instead of the main one. my main psu some how read lower on my motherboard software. than when i hook it back too my main one it reads like normal. why does it do this? shoudint it be reading higher because the video aint on the main one?

Hey gordesky, I've never done what you're doing but I'd sure check with someone who has before I go plugging in two powersupplies. Sounds a little dangerous to me. Might be a chance of shorting the whole works out.

I don't see any problem using it for lights and fans, and probably even water cooling if ya have it since they are not connected ot the main PSU in anyway. I wouldn't ues it for the gfx card because it gets some volts from the AGP bus and I wouldn't like the idea of 2 PSUs going into one card...

I would say get abit more load on it than just a couple of fans / lights. Power suiplys are built to run under load so I would say maybe put your opticals on there too. Also, use abit of insulated wire instead of a paper clip!!!!

Thats just my opinion, Ive never used two either

I have always used a paper clip with electrical tape over it, works fine. They make adapters that plug into the 20 pin molex on the power supply too. They simply short the green and one of the black leads which allows your psu to turn on.

As far as the VGA card I would leave it plugged into the main psu and use the secondary for the lights, fan etc.

:)

well the case wasnt made for it,it just had enough room for my modding project.the second psu and rad are modded into it(in the link you'll see a

pink paperclip jumping it at that time

but i do have the antec spliced into the second, pin #14(green)

and pin #15(black).

the main psu(antec 550W) powers the mb,gpu,hd's i diddnt want any conflicts

the second(300W) powers cd,dvd,2 x 120mm case fans,fan controller

12v water pump and 2 cold cathodes.there will be more things added

as i continue to mod the case but will be added to 2nd psu

If I were you i would fork out $20 or so to get a Dual PSU controller cable. its WAY safer than the paper clip and that means the drives you want to power off the second PSU will start with the system and not on constantly (or having to use the PSU switch)

Look for pictures of my computer in the pc pic thread. I am running two PSUs, but I only have fans, lights, cd drives and 1 hard drive hooked up to it.

I also suggest buying the cable. It isn't really safe and it doesn't really make sense to do it your way. Something could go wrong and you could short out something.

Archived