Change Mode

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this is going to evolve to is a lower value of life. Soon, after this, some person that was like Terry is going to be killed, but only after 10 years of a vegetative state. Then 6 years, then 4 years, then a YEAR. Then months or even weeks, people. Some rich lady with a "not so rich" cousin/uncle/son/daughter/aunt/ETC. that is on a feeding tube is going to die because her relative told everyone that she had THE RIGHT TO DIE.

Now, this is according to the fact that she didn't have a living will. If she said that in a LIVING will, that she would not like to live like that and that she would like to be injected, then that's what they should do. However, if she would like to stay alive during this state, then they should let her stay alive. As a religious person, however, I DON'T think that religion should have a play in this, even if GOD did give us the right to live (which is a very good thing and I'm not making fun of)

And then someone is going to be in a state similar to this and write a will, and will be passed off by some stupid government worker as a living will. A living will is when the person is in a sane state. Not in a hospital possibly on their death bed.

All this boils down to is that Euthinasia is only going to lead to a lower value of life. No one will respect it anymore.

I'm not saying this isn't sad, because I think it is. Everyone just needs to think about the long-term (and short-term) effects of this.

All this boils down to is that Euthinasia is only going to lead to a lower value of life. No one will respect it anymore.

As a person who is intimately familiar with such issues by way of extensive training and clinical experience I have to say I disagree that it would lead to a lowering of the value of life. In fact it should increase the awareness of the value of life.

All this is going to evolve to is a lower value of life.

What kind of life has this lady really had in 15 years? Her body works, her brain does not. I have issues with starving and dehydrating her... still can't seem to come to terms with that exactly...

But honestly, what kind of life has she really had all this time? Shes just a shell of who she was before she was like this...

I would and have killed animals who were beyond help because I couldn't stand to see them suffer. If we show compassion of this nature to animals, why would we not do the same thing for a human?

Again the starving thing bugs me... merciful euthanasia does not.

In fact it should increase the awareness of the value of life.

???? How? By starving a living, breathing, human being? By killing someone? THAT's gonna INCREASE the value of life???? :blink:
Guest fragged one

???? How? By starving a living, breathing, human being? By killing someone? THAT's gonna INCREASE the value of life???? :blink:

absolutely it will.

let me put it this way...i value life so much, that i'm not willing to allow myself to rot for 15 years in a hospital bed with little, if any, valuable brain function.

The right to die is legalized murder...

If she said she wanted to die, then kill her, but since she can't talk.... :rolleyes:

I say we should starve & dehydrate someone who is paralyzed... They have the brainpower, but not the body power, and what is life without being able to use your body??? :rolleyes:

What's next, killing people who can actually recover from their ailments???

The right to die is legalized murder...

If she said she wanted to die, then kill her, but since she can't talk.... :rolleyes:

I say we should starve & dehydrate someone who is paralyzed... They have the brainpower, but not the body power, and what is life without being able to use your body??? :rolleyes:

What's next, killing people who can actually recover from their ailments???

WOW....talking about INHUMANE. Here it is again, folks. I THINK WE SHOULD STARVE & DEHYDRATE SOMEONE WHO IS PARALYZED. Are you kidding me? WHY?? WHY?? WHY?? HOw is that he best way? Did she have a will that said I WANT TO STARVE AND DIE IN THE HOSPITAL? No. That's right. No.

let me put it this way...i value life so much, that i'm not willing to allow myself to rot for 15 years in a hospital bed with little, if any, valuable brain function.

There is STILL a possibility that you can come back. Although this isn't directly a coma, it is cloely related (and shut up Chopdoc) and people can wake up. How do you know that tomorrow you couldn't wake up? Or maybe preventing it in the first place?

She is in a permanent vegetative state, and no one has ever come back from such a condition, according to the American Academy of Neurology.

There was an interview with a woman on TV last night that I only got to see the beginning of because I had to go out. She had been brain damaged also, and was diagnosed as "being in a permanent vegetative state". The small part I did see, was this woman, and a very pretty and ingtelligent woman at that, talking about her ordeal. They showed pictures of her in the hospice or hospital where she was.

She said they pulled her feeding tube and she was aware of everything. She said she was trying to scream that she was in there, alive, and kept trying to scream, "feed me..give me something to eat". I didnt get to see anymore of it, and was wondering if anyone saw the entire interview.

and shut up Chopdoc

:huh:

and shut up Chopdoc

:blink:

and shut up Chopdoc

Hmmm... I see....

Well, look. I must protest. As far as I have seen, this is an open forum where, I am proud to say, people are allowed to post their thoughts and feelings. And, as far as I can tell, Chopdoc is in a very good position for that - he oviously has a very large, very extensive medical background.

Even if he didnt, I value his and everyone else's opinion, even if I dont agree. I would certainly never tell them to shut up - I wouldnt even tell you to shut up, though with some of the stuff you have been posting I might come close. :mrsgreen:

Edited by kigoe

Although this isn't directly a coma, it is cloely related

No, it isnt. Though I would like it if Chopdoc can clear it up, as far as I can tell a coma is when your body doesnt work, but your mind can. She is in a reverse position - her body works, but her mind doesnt. I dont like starving her, but if she wanted to be taken out of a vegatable state (and I certainly would) then she should be granted that wish, at least.

This is not the position of anyone else to deside. It is up to her and her family - the closest member of which happens to be her husband.

Guest Donna

This is not the position of anyone else to deside. It is up to her and her family - the closest member of which happens to be her husband.

How is her Husband the closest? Hes got a new woman and kids. Thats like saying my ex who I havent divorced but been split from for 14 years is the closest to me.
Guest fragged one

How is her Husband the closest? Hes got a new woman and kids. Thats like saying my ex who I havent divorced but been split from for 14 years is the closest to me.

they've been fighting this battle for quite some time now, donna. we're just seeing the very end of it...he was fighting for this from the beginning.

he was fighting for this from the beginning.

It was actually 8 years before he started pushing to have her feeding tube removed.

In 1990 at the age of 26, Terri suffered a collapse in her St. Petersburg, Florida, home that caused oxygen deprivation and severe brain damage. Her husband initially cared for her and won a medical malpractice lawsuit in 1992 in which he testified: "I believe in the vows I took with my wife, through sickness, in health, for richer or poor. I married my wife because I love her and I want to spend the rest of my life with her. I'm going to do that."

By 1998, however, he petitioned the courts to have her feeding tube removed, claiming that Terri had previously told him she would never want to be kept alive by life support. Two weeks before the trial in 2000, Schiavo introduced two additional witnesses – his brother and sister-in-law – to corroborate Terri's end-of-life wishes.

http://www.lifeway.com/lwc/article_main_pa...D150019,00.html

Ever hear of the Right to Die?

right to live also exists, right to die is for people who have incurable conditions. With todays technology and the advancements we are making it is not unrealistic to say that it is possible to cure her in some way.

There was an interview with a woman on TV last night that I only got to see the beginning of because I had to go out.  She had been brain damaged also, and was diagnosed as "being in a permanent vegetative state".  The small part I did see, was this woman, and a very pretty and ingtelligent woman at that, talking about her ordeal. They showed pictures of her in the hospice or hospital where she was.

She said they pulled her feeding tube and she was aware of everything. She said she was trying to scream that she was in there, alive, and kept trying to scream, "feed me..give me something to eat".  I didnt get to see anymore of it, and was wondering if anyone saw the entire interview.

Sensationalism.

Nobody has ever "come back"from a persistent vegetative state...by definition they can't.

Edited by Chopdoc

No, it isnt. Though I would like it if Chopdoc can clear it up, as far as I can tell a coma is when your body doesnt work, but your mind can. She is in a reverse position - her body works, but her mind doesnt. I dont like starving her, but if she wanted to be taken out of a vegatable state (and I certainly would) then she should be granted that wish, at least.

Coma is a deep prolonged unconsciousness where the patient cannot be aroused usually as the result of a head injury, neurological disease, acute hydrocephaly, intoxication or metabolic derangement.

Pesiatent vegetative state is a condition in which the patient is unable to speak or follow simple commands and does not respond in any psychologically meaningful way, they have lost cognitive neurological function and awareness of the environment but retain noncognitive function and a perserved sleep-wake cycle.

Persisten vegetative state sometimes follows coma. The transition from coma to a vegetative condition reflects changes from a period of no response to the internal or external environment (other than reflexively) to a state of wakefulness but with no indication of awareness.

Althoufh coma can progress to persitent vegetative state they are two separate and different conditions.

http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/921394859.html

right to live also exists, right to die is for people who have incurable conditions. With todays technology and the advancements we are making it is not unrealistic to say that it is possible to cure her in some way.

Yes, it is unrealistic.