HELP!!! :help:

I cannot get a display on my son's computer! :mrsgreen: It started a couple of days ago. His monitor showed it wasn't getting a signal. This is what i have done thus far:

1. Replaced his motherboard.

2. Used his monitor on another system.

3. Used another monitor on his system.

4. Used his video card in another system.

5. Used another video card in his system.

The "other" system worked fine in all configurations.

"His" system showed no signs of life on the monitor at all in each configuration.

Would a bad CPU cause this? I just can't understand why his monitor isn't getting a signal? :shrug:

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :mrwinky:

Take out the RAM and reinstall it again, making sure it's securely attached.

Even if it looks right, sometimes the RAM just doesn't connect properly, meaning it won't work.

Also, if you're gonna check the CPU, check first that it's getting enough cooling. Clean out any dust on the fans.

Reseated the RAM and installed a replacement CPU.......... no go! :mrsgreen:

Cleaned everything when I replaced the motherboard. Same problem as before replacing it, no signal to monitor.

I originally thought my AGP slot on the old mobo had gone bad, because I reseated the video card in it and got a signal once. However, a new mobo and the same problem?

Anyone else?

BTW, thanks guys for the inputs thus far!!! :oreo: for all!

Scorpion,

Good reading but not my problem. His montior was working GREAT on his system until a couple of days ago. Now, no signal at all. I couldn't boot to safe mode if I wanted to because I get NO signal whatsoever.

Went back and tried two other video cards in his system along with a couple other monitors and nothing.

Me thinks me will try swapping out "memory" since I haven't done that yet. :woot:

Still no go!

Here's my latest:

1. Replaced his motherboard.

2. Used his monitor on another system. (3 times)

3. Used another monitor on his system. (5 times)

4. Used his video card in another system. (3 times)

5. Used another video card in his system. (3 times)

6. Tried a different CPU.

7. Tried different memory.

8. Tried kicking it!!! (Not hard though.) :blink:

Other system works in all configurations.

His system gets no signal to monitor. (Fans, etc. fire up.)

H-E-L-P!!!

Yes, a new cable with each monitor. This really has me dumbfounded. We have 5 computers and 3 'extra' monitors with power cables, etc.

Maybe I should try a different HD, but if the comp won't even post, could that be it?

:blush:

Okay, when I get home, I will try and removing everything except:

Motherboard

CPU

PSU

Memory

Video Card

I would assume I could at least "POST" with this.

Now, if I still can't get a signal to my monitor, WHAT would the cause be? I have verified each "individual" component works in another system (except the mobo). This is new and replaced his old one (hard to believe they both would have the same issue.)

I have also verified that when everything was installed, I was getting power to the fans and HD's. :blink::blink::blink:

Guest eusdawb

Hi everyone. I'm brand new to the forum and actually have come here looking for help with the same problem (very close at least). My PC had been running fine until Saturday when the monitor began losing signal. I would reboot and it would appear to be fine but within a few minutes it would lose signal. Fans, lights on tower continue to work.

Thought it might be a problem with windows so last night I logged in to safe mode and copied my files to a second HDD and reformatted C. Reloaded windows but again, within a few minutes lost signal to monitor. I also noticed that the keyboard had lost power as did the optical mouse. Fans and tower lights continued to operate. MOBO passes POST fine each time.

Tried resitting the video card without effect. After rebooting several times, the video signal began dropping almost immediately (before I could get into safe mode, etc.) It was becoming more and more like the original poster's issue.

I'm going to bring home an extra video card from an old PC at work to see if that might be the issue but I'm wondering if it might be the PS. Unfortunately I do not have another CPU that I could test. Any other possibilities?

Possibly a bad motherboard, if it's not the power supply.

Ranster: some components that you tried may not work in that computer. I have memory that works in 1 computer, but doesn't work in 2 other computers that i tried it in. The memory works perfectly in the one computer though.

You'll have to try either a wide variety of parts, or some high-quality parts.

Make sure nothing is shorting out.

Are you using or have a dialup modem installed? Try removing it. I had a similar problem once but, the computer wouldn't even boot up. The pc was under warranty still. They came and replaced the motherboard and some other things with no luck. Pulled the modem out and *poof*. Problem fixed.

This is similar to the problem I'm having. Monitor just drops the signal like a lead balloon. :pullhair: I simply for the life of me can not figure this out. My topic is HERE so if you guys want to look at that as well while you're on the subject. I know how freaking frustrating this is, makes me want to pull out my hair. :pullhair:

Mike

Okay, I'm going to ask some "techs" later, but just to get this topic bumped, here is a new question:

What is the "minimum" set-up to verify video signal to monitor? (And POST!)

Motherboard- assume yes

PSU- assume yes

Video card- assume yes

CPU- would think yes

Memory- would think yes

:blushing::blink::blushing:

Edited by Ranster