Change Mode

Slow Bandwidth Down Speeds

Guest mrmaico

Guest mrmaico

I use MSN dialup service and for the last few weeks my connection speeds have dropped from the low to mid 40's to the low 30's but even before that my bandwidth down speeds raised a yellow flag. I tried different access numbers but that didn't seem to make any difference. I also have webtv on the same MSN account and that always connects at 45555. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Barry

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?i...VV9VWPN00KS4EMB

Guest cabledude3

Also make sure you have plenty of free hard drive space and the drive has been recently defragmented.

You may have a trojan or virus on your PC sharing bandwidth that could slow you down. There's a free program called ad-aware from www.lavasoft.com that will detect and remove spy-ware on your machine that may be running in the background. Typically your PC will have 15-20 proces running when you do a test, but I've seen infected machines running as many as 200 processes. Their removal sped the PC up considerably. It will detect spyware like Gator and Weatherbug, as well as file sharing applications like Morpheus. I find several things to dump every time I am online for more than 20 or 30 minutes at one time.

Guest mrmaico

Thanks for the replies guys....If I am reading it correctly the auto-fix is for high speed connections only. I have about 95% free space on my hard drive and I tried running Adaware but it still tests slow. I use AGV free virus program and it's never found anything. I also tried a different bandwidth test and that one also rated my down speed as POOR. Any other suggestions? Thanks again.....

Barry

Give this site a look: http://www.optimizing.net/ go to the top center and click on the 00 to get Windows 2000 Optimizing settings for your internet connection. They've got some nice tricks there. :)

Take a look at your program load at start up, on the Details page of your Pitstop test. There's quite a few listed there that will slow a rig down. Also be sure to run Scan Disk and keep your Hard drive Defragmented with the defragmenting tool. I wish you well. :)

im sorry. i know everyone cant afford it or it isnt accessible.

but the best advice to give to a dial up user on "how to fix" his internet connection speed.. is to redirect them to purchase high speed internet service. :)

so thats my advice.